Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

bloomin'Iris 10-09-2011 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris
Need some advice please. Couple of months ago, rummaging through a antique shop, DH ran across a dirty, dark, older machine. When we brought it into some light we'd seen it was a red eye, a 66, right? WOW!! my first. Everything moved freely and looked like everything was intact. Once brought home, we discovered the tension spring was broken. Nothing major, found another on ebay. Now all we need is a table & belt then I will be able to give it a true test drive - after she's cleaned of course.
Okay, here's the thing. I recently purchased a manual and just received a notice from the seller that the cover had fallen off @ the staples as well as the two center pages. In leu of credit, she is willing to give me other items I may need for the machine, she mentioned pressure feet & needles, if I knew the sizes. The reason for getting the manual is because I am not having much luck finding is info on the net.
The machine has one needle with a burr on the tip, one bobbin, and one pressure foot. Any input? Desperately seeking advice as I am just beginning to collect these wonderful machines.
Thanks in advance to all

Luckily the parts for this machine are really easy to find so I might would go for some accessory feet if I were you.
the machine uses the standard 15x1 needles and the class 66 bobbins that are readily available at Walmart and other fabric getting stores! I love my Singer 66's and you should too, but if I were you see if you can get a darning plate for the machine!!

Billy

And the wizard has answered my call.....Thanks so much Billy.
Darning plate for a 1910 Red eye, see what I can do.
Would a 1930 White Rotary take the same size needle? The plate on the machine state "use white FR needles"

Our best to you & yours. We've been watching your progress, started following this thread just before the nasty snake incident. You have such a wonderful sense of life, and your spirit is shinning through. Our prayers have been among the thousands you've already received. Take care & God bless
Thank you

Charlee 10-09-2011 04:52 PM

Iris, check this needle list from ISMACS...it will tell you the needles you need for your machines... :)

http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...eedle-list.pdf

bloomin'Iris 10-09-2011 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris
Need some advice please. Couple of months ago, rummaging through a antique shop, DH ran across a dirty, dark, older machine. When we brought it into some light we'd seen it was a red eye, a 66, right? WOW!! my first. Everything moved freely and looked like everything was intact. Once brought home, we discovered the tension spring was broken. Nothing major, found another on ebay. Now all we need is a table & belt then I will be able to give it a true test drive - after she's cleaned of course.
Okay, here's the thing. I recently purchased a manual and just received a notice from the seller that the cover had fallen off @ the staples as well as the two center pages. In leu of credit, she is willing to give me other items I may need for the machine, she mentioned pressure feet & needles, if I knew the sizes. The reason for getting the manual is because I am not having much luck finding is info on the net.
The machine has one needle with a burr on the tip, one bobbin, and one pressure foot. Any input? Desperately seeking advice as I am just beginning to collect these wonderful machines.
Thanks in advance to all

Keep in mind that unless the pressure bar has been replaced, this machine will take back clamping attachments....those are what I'd go for...

by that I take it to mean that the attachments are screwed on with the screw being on the back side of the pressure bar and not off to the left side :?:
if so, just learned something new, again, today :P
this board is so much better than school.
Got a question, get an answer and then some, and more.
Gotta love it
Wonderful people here

Lostn51 10-09-2011 04:59 PM

There are lots of wonderful folks here that you can always get the answers your looking for!! Thats why I love this place because everyone is family and we will always go out of our way to help!

OH and Charlee I am glad you mentioned the back clamp models, I am still on heavy meds and I forgot all about them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy

grayhare 10-09-2011 04:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I just received this beautiful pink machine. It is a really beautiful shade of pink. The paint got scraped to the metal in two areas. It had a long journey. What can, or should I do if anything? Thank you for your advice.

Lostn51 10-09-2011 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by grayhare
I just received this beautiful pink machine. It is a really beautiful shade of pink. The paint got scraped to the metal in two areas. It had a long journey. What can, or should I do if anything? Thank you for your advice.

I would take the stitch length regulator plate off (2 screws) and take it to an automotive paint store and have them match the paint and you can touch it u. I do this all the time with the Japanese machines I service and have to swap the motors or fix scratches.

Billy

Lostn51 10-09-2011 05:36 PM

Okay kids here is a link go have fun........ Oh and you can get a glimpse of the 160th Anniversary Singer and yes I will have one as soon as I can get my paws on it!!!!

http://www.mysingerstory.com

Billy

grayhare 10-09-2011 05:38 PM

[quote=Lostn51]

Originally Posted by grayhare

I would take the stitch length regulator plate off (2 screws) and take it to an automotive paint store and have them match the paint and you can touch it u. I do this all the time with the Japanese machines I service and have to swap the motors or fix scratches.

Thank you Billy, good to see you on the Board. I hope you feel better with each day that passes. I can't wait to see some pictures of the treasures that you found.
Anamaria

bloomin'Iris 10-09-2011 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Iris, check this needle list from ISMACS...it will tell you the needles you need for your machines... :)

http://www.ismacs.net/needle_and_sha...eedle-list.pdf

Thanks Charlee
just went to the sight.........now can you just point to the one I need for this machine, and then that machine, and then the one
in the corner, and ......

seriously, I'll need to print the needle list out so that I can figure. I do appreciate your help and have been watching the help you handed others. I've tried to follow all the info & advice given here on this thread and sometimes feel like a kid learning how to swim. I'm off the beach, and I think I can safely say I may be up to the waist as far as comfort with these machines. Although these older models, the ones I really like.....like the ones with the shuttles, felt like I was in a candy store & got something new & it was good & exciting. Only to find (I think) there is more than one type :?:
Then there are those that chain link :?:
And ones with typewriter keys :?:
And duel needles :?: (Mariam introduced me to one of that type)
Stepping back towards the beach now......
This machine may good for this, one for this type of sewing, another for doing that. I understand that it is a matter of personal preferences and that one can get by using less. Heck, I started with two, a 99 I bought yrs ago but could not get the bottom tension right, laid in hiding. My second I bought for buying my first house, a treat for me; almost 10 yrs ago, finally started using it 2 yrs ago.
Now, there's 15, since July! Serious problem here......6 I know work fine, some need belts, at one needs a bobbin/casing, different issues, heck a couple others might even use as door stops or boat anchors. But I find these machines so addicting.....just how many machines does one body need any way?
But I ramble, it's late, I have to work tomorrow & someone one is waiting for me to get to bed. Thank you for the info, and for allowing me to ramble & taking your time.
............going back into seclusion......

Charlee 10-09-2011 06:02 PM

:lol: Iris, you're a hoot! ;)

Get back in the water, it's the only way you can learn to swim!!

Information is abundant. Join Needlebar, and go check out the Yahoo groups for the types of machines you have. ISMACS is an excellent resource too!