Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 11-05-2011 02:38 PM

I tried - here goes again... it failed too - how come the other two off the same series off the same camera failed?

Charlee 11-05-2011 02:39 PM

Email it to me Miriam...let me try?

melinda1962 11-05-2011 02:41 PM

I guess it is garage sale season. I went by a couple this morning, and always ask, is there a sewing machine? Well, one lady said she was holding one for an earlier customer, but did I want to look at it? Kenmore 17--, $25. Had all the attachments, super high shank stuff, so I said, I usually like older ones and sort of collect them. She said $20. I said, it just isn't what I am looking for. She said $15. I said maybe someone will come along, and if you don't sell it, you can donate it to one of our local churches that teaches sewing lessons to a group of teenagers. She said $10, please take it. I did and it sews really good to make a long story longer, and doesn't miss any of its 22 stitches it is capable of. She paid $300 twenty years ago. Go figure. The ticket was in the manual. Worst thing is I have a machine that is good enough to sew on that the next person who comes in and wants one of my vintage machines may get lucky.

Another girl has her old grandmother in law's that she didn't bring to town because her husband said no one would want it. She has my number to call me the model. All I know is green singer and old. Wish me luck.

miriam 11-05-2011 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 (Post 4637644)
I guess it is garage sale season. I went by a couple this morning, and always ask, is there a sewing machine? Well, one lady said she was holding one for an earlier customer, but did I want to look at it? Kenmore 17--, $25. Had all the attachments, super high shank stuff, so I said, I usually like older ones and sort of collect them. She said $20. I said, it just isn't what I am looking for. She said $15. I said maybe someone will come along, and if you don't sell it, you can donate it to one of our local churches that teaches sewing lessons to a group of teenagers. She said $10, please take it. I did and it sews really good to make a long story longer, and doesn't miss any of its 22 stitches it is capable of. She paid $300 twenty years ago. Go figure. The ticket was in the manual. Worst thing is I have a machine that is good enough to sew on that the next person who comes in and wants one of my vintage machines may get lucky.

Another girl has her old grandmother in law's that she didn't bring to town because her husband said no one would want it. She has my number to call me the model. All I know is green singer and old. Wish me luck.

Melinda, they just keep following you home and you keep letting them in the house. Some of those old Kenmores are quite the bomb. I had one once that was pretty cool - it had some special disks that could REALLY adjust the stitches and come up with all kinds of variations.

I'm afraid my family is ready to do an intervention around here... I went to GW today - we have one where they weigh stuff. So I'm in there digging around thinking it's awfully busy. Then this lady says thank God it's half off today... WAHOO!!! Then they brought out a new cart - I picked up a garbage bag full of heavy weight lycra for $8 - enough to do up some modest swim suits for the GDs. DD was bemoaning that you can't find any - then my sister said she would help design and sew them. She had a healthy business at one time making little dance costumes. I found a small stack of FQ for my sister. (gotta keep her off the streets) I saw a sewing machine with parts missing - no tension, not bobbin holder, no slide plate, no feet, no cord, no sale... it was a Singer Merritt. it did NOT follow me home. I was looking for pink purple and teal blue shirts or something to make a quilt for DIL. Didn't happen.

melinda1962 11-05-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4637715)
Melinda, they just keep following you home and you keep letting them in the house. Some of those old Kenmores are quite the bomb. I had one once that was pretty cool - it had some special disks that could REALLY adjust the stitches and come up with all kinds of variations.

I'm afraid my family is ready to do an intervention around here... I went to GW today - we have one where they weigh stuff. So I'm in there digging around thinking it's awfully busy. Then this lady says thank God it's half off today... WAHOO!!! Then they brought out a new cart - I picked up a garbage bag full of heavy weight lycra for $8 - enough to do up some modest swim suits for the GDs. DD was bemoaning that you can't find any - then my sister said she would help design and sew them. She had a healthy business at one time making little dance costumes. I found a small stack of FQ for my sister. (gotta keep her off the streets) I saw a sewing machine with parts missing - no tension, not bobbin holder, no slide plate, no feet, no cord, no sale... it was a Singer Merritt. it did NOT follow me home. I was looking for pink purple and teal blue shirts or something to make a quilt for DIL. Didn't happen.

Did the Singer Merritt have the fashion disks with it? One Singer Merrit I have has the disks that fit the 319. Another one I have has built in stitches. Dang, did I just admit to having two Singer Merritts in my house? LOL

miriam 11-05-2011 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 (Post 4637779)
Did the Singer Merritt have the fashion disks with it? One Singer Merrit I have has the disks that fit the 319. Another one I have has built in stitches. Dang, did I just admit to having two Singer Merritts in my house? LOL

I dug frantically through the whole store hoping to find some - I couldn't see where that machine took any disks - I think someone stripped it.

Nanamoms 11-05-2011 04:02 PM

Bleeeeeeekkkkkkk!!!! Why does my profile show I have 147 subscriptions? And 45 Bookmarks! I didn't have that many BU (Before Update)? I don't know where I'm going or even where I've been!! I just want to bookmark the VSMS Topic and Billy's Personal Topic! Why can't it just be simple??????

miriam 11-05-2011 04:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok Charlee I will try to load it from the email. SCORE!!! Now let's hope that little opinionated darlin' likes his new quilt.

Glenn 11-05-2011 05:50 PM

Cigar Box

2 Attachment(s)
This is something I made to hold bobbins, shuttle and tools for White Peerless since it did not have a storage box in the case. It was raining and I wanted to do something fun. This is an old vintage cigar box I got in Germany.

jacie 11-05-2011 05:53 PM

this will turn out to be one of my favorite spots on the board...... thanks much , , and I do hope you will keep posting pics. of your machines, and also,,,,,,,,the cars.......... go friend. you are tops. jacie