Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

greenini 11-17-2011 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 4690144)

Much better deal!!

ThayerRags 11-17-2011 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4689702)
Thayerrags, it seems we all have way too many machines! I am sitting at 36 after giving a couple away, but not that many in the house. I am transforming a storage cargo unit to a sewing machine show house! I only keep the ones in the house that are very ornate, or I use! What does Grandma think about living with so many machines?
Nancy

I always say that “you can never have too much fabric or too many sewing machines”. Thirty-six is a nice number to build on, wouldn’t you say?

I guess that Grandma’s ok with it. She’s known about them since I began collecting them, and has been here for week-long visits with them. This will be the first time that she’s actually lived with them for any period of time though. I gave some away just to make room for her to move in. The total count hasn’t changed much, but some cabinets had to go. There just wasn’t room in our small frame house. Right after a Davis Vertical Feed treadle and two VF heads went out, a Singer 20 toy and a Singer 201K portable hand crank came in to replace them. The 20 and its box are on a tiny shelf up on the wall, so it’s a real “space saver”.

I should add that my wife is not a SM collector. She doesn’t have much use for a machine that she doesn’t use at one time or another. She sews, I collect.

CD in Oklahoma

mpeters1200 11-17-2011 12:39 PM

Thank you to all of you who responded regarding my guide issue.

No, it doesn't hit the walking foot at all. It hits the needle bar.
I cant figure out a way to get it onto the machine any other way than the way that doesn't work. (I know, clear as mud)
I've not seen a guide that looks like that before. I do not have a walking foot for the FW, I have one for my janome. This guide came with the machine in the accessories box when I bought it.
There is no slot to push the guide into the side of the walking foot like there is on my janome foot.
If I take the walking foot off and use the guide instead, I don't think it will feed the quilt evenly.

I think I might just tape it. I'll call my machine guy at the shop I bought it from and verify that it really goes on my machine. I was so excited to have a guide and try it out, since quilting is IMPOSSIBLE on my janome, and it's so frustrating that it doesn't work. I still think I'm not doing something right somewhere, but I just can't figure out where.

I feel like charlie brown and Lucy took my ball AGAIN!

justtrish 11-17-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj (Post 4690144)

Unfortunately, this is the exact same seller so I don't know what their deal is with the shipping. They also used the exact same photo! hrumph!!

melinda1962 11-17-2011 01:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mpeters1200 (Post 4690659)
Thank you to all of you who responded regarding my guide issue.

No, it doesn't hit the walking foot at all. It hits the needle bar.
I cant figure out a way to get it onto the machine any other way than the way that doesn't work. (I know, clear as mud)
I've not seen a guide that looks like that before. I do not have a walking foot for the FW, I have one for my janome. This guide came with the machine in the accessories box when I bought it.
There is no slot to push the guide into the side of the walking foot like there is on my janome foot.
If I take the walking foot off and use the guide instead, I don't think it will feed the quilt evenly.

I think I might just tape it. I'll call my machine guy at the shop I bought it from and verify that it really goes on my machine. I was so excited to have a guide and try it out, since quilting is IMPOSSIBLE on my janome, and it's so frustrating that it doesn't work. I still think I'm not doing something right somewhere, but I just can't figure out where.

I feel like charlie brown and Lucy took my ball AGAIN!

I have one like it that came in with a NIB sewing machine. The little forks go under the presser foot screw on the outside of the presser foot. I will try to attach it to the machine and get a pic up later tonight. I have a "block party" for pre-Christmas that I am taking my mom to right now. Hang in there.

Edit: I found the pic I was thinking of.

jlhmnj 11-17-2011 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish (Post 4690661)
Unfortunately, this is the exact same seller so I don't know what their deal is with the shipping. They also used the exact same photo! hrumph!!

It's that "Priority International" is very high. If he went Economy (Parcel International ?) shipping would be way cheaper but there's no tracking, no insurance. The seller is playing it safe and doesn't want to get burnt.
Jon

jlhmnj 11-17-2011 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish (Post 4689889)
Jon,

We definetly do not need any suggestions on other sewing related memorabilia to save..oops collect!! ;)

I have officially put myself on a timeout as I am afraid of accidentally vaccinating myself with one of my treasures!!

Sometimes when one addiction is out of control and one is threatened with sleeping on top of treadle cabinets, it needs to be replaced with a more benign addiction. Don't think I could bring myself around to vaccinating myself, I'd probably hit an artery and make a real mess :(

miriam 11-17-2011 04:15 PM

I absolutely hate vaccinations... I have seen some CL where someone was smoking something or popping funny pills to try to get rid of their addiction....

vintagemotif 11-17-2011 04:41 PM

Something wrong here. What happened to the cabinets and machines?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/fuo/2708116433.html

miriam 11-17-2011 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 4691527)
Something wrong here. What happened to the cabinets and machines?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/fuo/2708116433.html

Didn't I just tell you people were poppin' funny pills or smokin' something???