Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 11-19-2011 08:07 PM

Diane, if Miriam doesn't have the pedal, try giving Guy a call...not everything he sells is listed on the website. Or email him with your phone number and he'll call you. Really a neat man... :) Talked me out of swapping out the motor on my Kenmore..when I first got it the darned thing smoked like a chimney! I sent the email, he called and told me that it was most likely old oil and dust that was burning, to go ahead and run it, that it wasn't going to burst into flames...it would just stop working. He was right, and now the motor doesn't smoke, and it's one of my favorite machines! :)

Bennett 11-19-2011 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Quilter7x (Post 4699773)
Here is a picture of the foot pedal.

Charlee, I checked the link (thank you for that) but he doesn't have my model foot pedal. This sewing machine is a 158.14101 and the foot pedal model is 6813. I'm going to keep the link for future reference.

As mentioned by Jon, you might be able to salvage the cord and rewire it into a new foot pedal. I have one very similar I got from Sew Classic (cord and basic metal foot pedal) for an older White machine. There are 3 "slot" receptacle has 2 wires, one going to the wall plug and one going to the foot pedal. It was easy to wire up to the pedal. The hardest part was finagling it into the cord protector coming out of the side of the foot pedal. Here's a picture of mine:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]289254[/ATTACH]

vintagemotif 11-19-2011 09:44 PM

Weedwoman, That's a cute mini pinwheel! I like making pinwheel quilts too! Most of the baby quilts I make are the Moda pinwheel quilt pattern, fast and easy.

vintagemotif 11-19-2011 10:12 PM

Went to in-laws today with my FW and next quilting project. I'm trying to get a couple of Christmas presents done by end of month. So, I got to play with the FW while working on next project. These machines are so cute! And they sew very quietly, but a bit too fast for me. Spent some time figuring the amount of pressure to apply on the foot pedal without the machine taking off. I finally found the groove and worked away happily while chatting with MIL. She was fascinated with the machine since she had never seen one and also wanted to know what year they were made; she is 87. Anywhoo, fun day with a cute little machine...great machine to take on travels.

Candace 11-19-2011 11:26 PM

Waaa.....I just answered a CL ad for a vintage machine and he said it wasn't working and no one was interested in a non-working, old Singer so he took it to the dump......double waaaa......

miriam 11-20-2011 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett (Post 4700308)
As mentioned by Jon, you might be able to salvage the cord and rewire it into a new foot pedal. I have one very similar I got from Sew Classic (cord and basic metal foot pedal) for an older White machine. There are 3 "slot" receptacle has 2 wires, one going to the wall plug and one going to the foot pedal. It was easy to wire up to the pedal. The hardest part was finagling it into the cord protector coming out of the side of the foot pedal. Here's a picture of mine:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]289254[/ATTACH]

I'm pretty sure I have a set of wires and foot control like that. But it would probably be in YOUR best interest to go to Sew-clasic or somewhere that has just the new foot control that would go on your nice wires - even then if you get hung up on wiring we can probably help you right here. I think Sew-classic even has directions how to install - tell your hubby you are worth it. If you order get some Tri-flo - I think it is magic.

justtrish 11-20-2011 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4699194)
All kinds of cool toys just don't know what they all go to. The ones that say Kenmore might be a start though... I have some odd disks too - no clue what they go to. I should post pics of odd unidentified stuff... We could all be busy... oops my camera died. bummer.

I vote for a mystery/unidentified attachment foot thread!!

justtrish 11-20-2011 05:59 AM

on another note..I had noticed that lillian(221) was a bit clanky sounding in the bobbin area. I popped out the bobbin and added a drop of oil... woohoo.... much quieter!!!

Ohio Star Quilter 11-20-2011 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x (Post 4700004)
My DH said that because of the plastic it's made from, there's nothing he can glue it back together with. He was thinking of making some type of metal piece to go in place of the plastic part if we can't find a replacement.

You should be able to epoxy it with Loctite Epoxy Marine. It will even epoxy glass together. I used it for garden ornaments made out of glass bowls, vases etc. It worked well. You just have to roughen the edges first and it has to sit for 24 hours after gluing.
Judy

miriam 11-20-2011 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter (Post 4700948)
You should be able to epoxy it with Loctite Epoxy Marine. It will even epoxy glass together. I used it for garden ornaments made out of glass bowls, vases etc. It worked well. You just have to roughen the edges first and it has to sit for 24 hours after gluing.
Judy

It would be worth a try for sure.