Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 11-20-2011 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4700563)
Waaa.....I just answered a CL ad for a vintage machine and he said it wasn't working and no one was interested in a non-working, old Singer so he took it to the dump......double waaaa......

OH NO!! That's sad.

vintagemotif 11-20-2011 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4701503)
http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t169127.html
I couldn't get the pictures to come up. I'm bummed out.

You have to resize your picture. I have problems with that too, and have to resize before sending.

AJ Quilts 11-20-2011 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 4702470)
OH NO!! That's sad.

So go to the dump and get it.

Kas 11-20-2011 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by logofflater (Post 4701004)
Under the needle plate are two positioning springs to keep the bobbin case from rotating. Are you sure yours aren't tired and need to be stretched back? One of the 221 web sites has a short tutorial on how to do it. :o

Edit: This is what I was referring to.
thefeatherweight221factory.com/Documents/Clicking%20Sound.pdf

Please be EXTREMELY careful if you try this. Mine was doing the same thing and and that 70 year old piece of metal broke off at the bottom of the spring. Dave McCallum told me it wouldn't hurt my sewing, but I am still bummed that my machine is not perfect anymore. Please stick to oiling and checking for threads first. Featherweights will have a tiny amount of clacking, anyway, especially if they are on a hard surface that echos. Me and a couple of gals from the QB took a six hour clean and tune class with him yesterday.

miriam 11-20-2011 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 4702478)
You have to resize your picture. I have problems with that too, and have to resize before sending.

RESIZE? I can't even FIND it.... It is in an email from Hannah.

miriam 11-20-2011 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Kas (Post 4702715)
Please be EXTREMELY careful if you try this. Mine was doing the same thing and and that 70 year old piece of metal broke off at the bottom of the spring. Dave McCallum told me it wouldn't hurt my sewing, but I am still bummed that my machine is not perfect anymore. Please stick to oiling and checking for threads first. Featherweights will have a tiny amount of clacking, anyway, especially if they are on a hard surface that echos. Me and a couple of gals from the QB took a six hour clean and tune class with him yesterday.

Iris was upset Friday about the clacking. I thought it was normal. Maybe so! Iris your machine is normal!!!

miriam 11-20-2011 02:32 PM

This working on machines is ssssooooo contagious. I found a machine I wanted so bad.... alas it was hours down the road. I had emailed hoping they would meet or it wouldn't be so far or something. What ever. Anyhoo I told the lady how to fix it over the phone. LOL At least that one won't be going to the dump.

sew wishful 11-20-2011 03:15 PM

I went to the baptism service for two of my granddaughters and got to visiting with an elderly woman (80's) who still has her grandmothers old sewing machine!! Her grandmother bought it before she was married and their 50th wedding anniversary was in 1936! Of course her daughter got it and then this granddaughter (the 80+ year old) got it. She said it's been in her attic for years and years. Her grandson now lives in her house and she lives in town and the kids are slowly bringing things from the attic to her shed. She asked if I'd like to look it ov er for her when she gets it. Uh, like YYYEEEESSSS!!! So I can hardly sit still and keep wondering what kind of machine could this be??? 1880's something!!! Oh, my goodness!!!

Quilter7x 11-20-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by sew wishful (Post 4702919)
I went to the baptism service for two of my granddaughters and got to visiting with an elderly woman (80's) who still has her grandmothers old sewing machine!! Her grandmother bought it before she was married and their 50th wedding anniversary was in 1936! Of course her daughter got it and then this granddaughter (the 80+ year old) got it. She said it's been in her attic for years and years. Her grandson now lives in her house and she lives in town and the kids are slowly bringing things from the attic to her shed. She asked if I'd like to look it over for her when she gets it. Uh, like YYYEEEESSSS!!! So I can hardly sit still and keep wondering what kind of machine could this be??? 1880's something!!! Oh, my goodness!!!

Wow, I hope that's going to be as wonderful of a machine as you hope! It's likely a treadle, right? I am brand new into the vintage machine area.

miriam 11-20-2011 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x (Post 4702939)
Wow, I hope that's going to be as wonderful of a machine as you hope! It's likely a treadle, right? I am brand new into the vintage machine area.

Welcome - be careful about getting any oil on your skin...
The good news is that it most likely will be possible to make it work. Look around here and you will see some amazing makeovers!