Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 12-01-2011 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 4740603)
Nancy, I have a set of Rudyard Kipling books printed in 1924 with the same "swastika" design as on this machine. (right under the lion on the center of the bed) Actually, it is an ancient symbol, and in India (where Kipling wrote many of his books) it is a "peace and goodwill" symbol. The Nazi swastika was bent the other way....these are bent to the left.

The swastika that is on this bed is what is seen in Asia. The earliest form dates back to India. Hitler's swastika took on the form of the earliest Indian swastika in the counter clockwise form, just minus the dots and rotated just a bit.

This swastika is more like the ones seen in Asia which is a clockwise form. The symbol represents good luck. It can be found in India, China, South Korea, and Japan and is associated with different religions, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism.
I have seen it on Buddhist temples in Japan.

This machine looks to be a Japanese clone- as Nancy has pointed out. Machine isn't rare, just the decals might be for here in the States.
Most likely made for the Asian market and not the German market.
The Coat of Arms doesn't even look German, which is a black eagle -unless your from Bavaria.

Britain likes to use Coat of Arms with lions. Maybe one of the British territories in Asia is what is shown on this machine. Not Hong Kong since it's Coat of Arms is a lion and dragon. Don't know what Bombay's Coat of Arms had looked. I don't know, just guessing here on location.

vintagemotif 12-01-2011 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4740615)
It would be the same with this machine....it's NOT going to benefit the Nazis if we buy it, UNLESS the current owner is Nazi himself. (In which case he could stuff the machine as far as I'm concerned...)
To me, it would not be out of respect for the Nazis that I'd want to own the machine, but for the historical value of it.

This symbol isn't even a Nazi symbol. Looks like the Buddhist symbol.

vintagemotif 12-01-2011 02:55 PM

Has anyone tired to contact this person with this "Rare German" machine?
He posted this in the CLs ad,
"DUE TO SPAM EMAILS, PLEASE RESPOND WITH A PHONE NUMBER OR I WILL NOT RESPOND BACK,"
And the machine says lion, while he wrote lyon.

Like who is doing the spamming, geez.

vintagemotif 12-01-2011 03:13 PM

Did the Stock Market drop again today? Price of sewing machines went up. A White for $700.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/fuo/2730491295.html

chris_quilts 12-01-2011 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 (Post 4740470)
I had been working on the things for our Christmas bazaar booth, but things can change so fast. My mom went to the doctor on Tues. to have her under active thyroid checked, and try to find out what was causing weakness in her left hand. A ct scan to check for a small stroke revealed a brain tumor, that had potentially spread from lung cancer. Also in most major organs. Starting radiation today, to hopefully control the growth and pressure on her brain. If that is successful, then possibly chemo for the rest. Too widespread for surgery. We are somewhat overwhelmed but our new family motto is "make every day count" so yall keep us in your thoughts please.

Melinda, so sorry to hear about your mom. Will keep your family in my prayers and like the thought behind the new family motto. Again, keeping y'all in my prayers. ~ Chris

vintagemotif 12-01-2011 05:15 PM

I had been working on the things for our Christmas bazaar booth, but things can change so fast. My mom went to the doctor on Tues. to have her under active thyroid checked, and try to find out what was causing weakness in her left hand. A ct scan to check for a small stroke revealed a brain tumor, that had potentially spread from lung cancer. Also in most major organs. Starting radiation today, to hopefully control the growth and pressure on her brain. If that is successful, then possibly chemo for the rest. Too widespread for surgery. We are somewhat overwhelmed but our new family motto is "make every day count" so yall keep us in your thoughts please.

Sorry to hear this. With your new family motto, make every day count, may each day be special. You and your family will be in my prayers.

mpeters1200 12-01-2011 05:21 PM

Melinda....certainly keeping you guys in our prayers.

mpeters1200 12-01-2011 05:25 PM

So I am quilting my runners in my attempt to get acquainted with my 66-16. A funny thing keeps happening though. I've taken some pics so you can see too. To start with, when I try to bring the bobbin thread up to the top of the quilt, at least half the time the top thread pops up with no bobbin thread at all. No real rhyme or reason to it. I've had to just keep turning the wheel until a stitch finally took.

Also, it seems like the thread keeps unraveling on itself. It starts in the take up lever and goes all the way down to the hole in the needle. Most of the time, once the thread is "thicker", you'll see in the picture, the thread breaks. Other times, it gets quilted right into the quilt and then it looks like it's skipping stitches. It's just weird. Has anyone seen this before? It's happening so often, I'm worried either something isn't right with the machine or I'm doing something wrong. I had a needle break last weekend, so I replaced it with a size 14. I've been having problems ever since. Is this one of those machines that take some kind of funky needle?

Chunky thread next to the needle hole 1
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...iththread3.jpg

Chunky thread next to the needle hole 2
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...iththread4.jpg

Skipped stitches and the thick thread mess it left behind:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...iththread2.jpg

This is what it looks like after the thread breaks and I get it all out of the machine.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...iththread1.jpg

greenini 12-01-2011 05:49 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this sad news...with my older brother's tumor they were very late in getting Hospice involved. If your mother needs it make sure they get involved early enough to help make a difference. You're in my thoughts.

greenini 12-01-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4740615)
It would be the same with this machine....it's NOT going to benefit the Nazis if we buy it, UNLESS the current owner is Nazi himself. (In which case he could stuff the machine as far as I'm concerned...)
To me, it would not be out of respect for the Nazis that I'd want to own the machine, but for the historical value of it.

I understand that and realize it wouldn't be support of the Nazi's just don't want that symbol in my home! And I gotta admit I never got a good look at it and do realize that the Nazi's perverted a symbol that had been out in civilizations for years...