Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 12-14-2011 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 4777894)
Charlee and Nancy, This is way cool!! Now I don't have to use my toy Singer for chain stitching. Well, After reading the thread, I was on a hunt for information-part of the fun in collecting and learning for me. Thanks to google images, I was able to see what the spider looks like. I have another gadget, attachment, that looks very strange-don't know what that's for. So, at first I didn't know which one was the spider, but I should have realized that something has to fit into the rotary area to take the place of the bobbin. Another interesting mechanical device that fits cleverly into the machine to use. The Standards are very nice machines.

Ok Monica and all the rest of you, I think we need our heads examined? Tonight I put one of my Japanese clones on the counter so I could visit with my husband, watch TV, and sew the grid lines on a Santa wall hanging I am making. I stitched two lines, couldn't keep the dang thing straight, so started over a couple time to try and get a straight seam. I finally gave up and went into the office to use my Two Spools, who always sews straight! I re-did the original two seams and finished the project on the Two Spools! I love that treadle! Because the feed dogs are the same length it NEVER pulls my fabric sideways! The original foot is a perfect 1/4" too, so I don't have to try and keep the fabric on the black edge of one of those 1/4 feet! Geeze, my DH says it is pretty bad when I can't sew a straight seam on an electric machine - I have to go to the treadle! It is so relaxing to sew without having to tug and fight with the fabric to try and keep a straight line going! I might have tried to sew the grid lines on my 319w treadle, but I can't get to the machines in my sewing room right now - too many Christmas packages in there! Now, if only I could figure out a way to move the Two Spools around the house so it would be more convenient to use!

Nancy

BoJangles 12-14-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4772791)
My neighbor just gave me this machine. It's a White 77. It belonged to his aunt and he's had it in his house taking up space for a loooong time and wanted it to have a good home. It's in a neat desk with lots of unusual compartments, with all original attachments and manual. The cert. with it says it was sold in 1951. It's in excellent condition from what I can see in my fairly dark garage. When it warms up I'll play with it. The manual says it takes White Rotary needles. Are these special needles? Anyone have this machine?

Candace, I really like the sleek looks of that green White! It is a green Godzilla, right? Pretty cool looking machine.

Nancy

Candace 12-14-2011 08:31 PM

Nancy, I wish it were green. It's a darker grey color.

vintagemotif 12-14-2011 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4782447)
Ok Monica and all the rest of you, I think we need our heads examined? Tonight I put one of my Japanese clones on the counter so I could visit with my husband, watch TV, and sew the grid lines on a Santa wall hanging I am making. I stitched two lines, couldn't keep the dang thing straight, so started over a couple time to try and get a straight seam. I finally gave up and went into the office to use my Two Spools, who always sews straight! I re-did the original two seams and finished the project on the Two Spools! I love that treadle! Because the feed dogs are the same length it NEVER pulls my fabric sideways! The original foot is a perfect 1/4" too, so I don't have to try and keep the fabric on the black edge of one of those 1/4 feet! Geeze, my DH says it is pretty bad when I can't sew a straight seam on an electric machine - I have to go to the treadle! It is so relaxing to sew without having to tug and fight with the fabric to try and keep a straight line going! I might have tried to sew the grid lines on my 319w treadle, but I can't get to the machines in my sewing room right now - too many Christmas packages in there! Now, if only I could figure out a way to move the Two Spools around the house so it would be more convenient to use!

Nancy

:thumbup: The Two Spools is my favorite piecing machine. Right now, I'm working on a lap size twister motif quilt that is flannel. I found that the Davis is best for working with the flannel over all of my machines, since it has the walking foot and no feed dogs. The fabrics all move through together nicely. I have been thinking of switching my machines around also. Have fun treadling!

bloomin'Iris 12-15-2011 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher (Post 4781770)
mairam, where do you come up with some of the things you say and do? I bet your are a blast to be around all day you would keep me laughing the whole time.

as Charlee might say, she's a 'hoot' ;)

miriam 12-15-2011 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by bloomin'Iris (Post 4782701)
as Charlee might say, she's a 'hoot' ;)

hey Iris! Where have you been?

BoJangles 12-15-2011 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4782482)
Nancy, I wish it were green. It's a darker grey color.

Darn! On my computer it appears to be a really cool dark green machine! I thought, wow, I've never seen a White that color - that is why I asked!

Nancy

BoJangles 12-15-2011 06:36 AM

Wait what is this? http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2749653015.html I bet the person who did the art work thought that cabinet was beautiful, but she couldn't set someone on it - that would have covered up her art work.

Nancy

BoJangles 12-15-2011 06:40 AM

Ok here is another one with a "shoe pedal" and "pattern modifier!" Yooopppeeee! It is so funny what people who don't sew come up with. What is a "pattern modifier?" http://sacramento.craigslist.org/art/2744299806.html

Nancy

Charlee 12-15-2011 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4783124)
Wait what is this? http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2749653015.html I bet the person who did the art work thought that cabinet was beautiful, but she couldn't set someone on it - that would have covered up her art work.

Nancy

What was it Nancy? It's been deleted...