Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Celeste 12-17-2011 04:09 PM

Miriam, thanks for the advice and an aargh from me too for your experience yesterday!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the new ones you picked up!

miriam 12-17-2011 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 4789781)
Miriam, thanks for the advice and an aargh from me too for your experience yesterday!!!!

Looking forward to seeing the new ones you picked up!

I'm not even sure what I have - DH kept loading them in as I was buying them. I'm shaking my head on that Amish guy and the auctioneer. They HAD 2 auctioneers and they could have each done a different area and took more time. DUH. A lot of people were there for the machines. In order to buy what I would have liked from the Amish guy I would have had to sell him some of mine. I know I got a 99 and a table for a 99. I'm not sure what all I got until I unload the truck. I know I'm going to be busy in the shop come spring.

The deceased was a sewing repair woman. She had a very interesting place - nice organic gardens, very herbal, lived to be 92, she had a spring house, lots of out buildings (a shop I would kill for), some barns and lots of old stuff. She was into upholstery, quilting, knitting and crochet, leather work - she was handy I'd say. Many books - all went to the same dude that bought the machines. She had lots of relatives too.

Still creeps me out looking at that pick up truck piled high with sewing machines. yikes - should have followed them.... not...

Grannyh67 12-17-2011 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51 (Post 993985)
Alrighty then someone was asking about some of my machines so here are the ones that I have uploaded to this computer.

The ones I have not included in these photos are my Singer 185J, 1870 New Home Model A, and my soon to be acquired Singer 500A. I have quite a few parts machines that I am not even including in the list.

Billy

1911 Singer 27 with the Godzilla and blackside finish
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5763[/ATTACH]

1900 Singer 24 Industrial
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5821[/ATTACH]

1910 Singer 27 "Hot Rod"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5822[/ATTACH]

1921 Singer 66-1 "Red Eye"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5823[/ATTACH]

1963 Kenmore Model 43 Rare Pearl Iris color
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5824[/ATTACH]

OK, I love the 1921 Singer Red Eye, I have one that looks almost like that. The serial # is G4764462, do you think it is the same. I don't know if it is a 66 or a 66-1. Thanks

quiltdoctor 12-17-2011 04:51 PM

Wheeler Wilson Model 9 Need Help

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have one of these machines that can tell me if the remaining chrome plate simply slides off, or if there is a small "pin" that holds it in place. The center plate that surrounds the feed dogs has a little metal pin, so it has to be lifted out of place. I don't want to force it either way, just looks like it has a pin "head" showing on the lower right section.

Thanks,

Texas Jan

hootnannie 12-17-2011 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 4789704)
I'll be making the long drive tomorrow to pick up the Davis treadle, and am trying to make sure I have everything I need to have a safe, secure trip. As I've mentioned before, I will be using a Geo Metro hatchback. I've put the back seat down.

I found this, with directions how to take the head out.

http://www.ehow.com/how_10004467_rem...-machines.html

I have the flat and Phillips screwdrivers. Someone said big pillows, ziplock bags - anything else?

I am still worrying about the fact that I think it should be a coffin top. Will I be able to fit the cabinet, head and coffin top along with my sister?

What is an acceptable price for these machines with cabinet? I'm going to see one tomorrow, in a nice cabinet but the lady had purchased it as an antique and is not a sewer.

Candace 12-17-2011 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by hootnannie (Post 4789986)
What is an acceptable price for these machines with cabinet? I'm going to see one tomorrow, in a nice cabinet but the lady had purchased it as an antique and is not a sewer.

What machine?? What cabinet??

hootnannie 12-17-2011 06:01 PM

The Davis vertical feed in a treadle cabinet. Isn't that what you're getting tomorrow?

MrsBoats 12-18-2011 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful (Post 4788344)
Now this is a table I love....see how the needle bar appears to be centered in the table? Instead of the machine being centered in the table. I think all tables should be cut this way. My newer machine table has the machine centered and I'm forever sitting nearly straddleing the leg. I need to be centered at the working part of the machine! Anyone else feel the same?

Yes. OMG, YES!!! I finished my last big project around Halloween, and when I was done I threatened to reanimate the idiot who thought that setup was a good idea, and then make his zombie corpse sit at my table until his back was as twisted as mine was. In general, I like my table, but it's got drawers on one side and a narrow cupboard on the other, and there is no way to straddle the leg, so I'm left sitting centered and twisted.

All I can think is that arrangement was created by somebody who didn't anticipate spending all day in front of their machine.

BoJangles 12-18-2011 06:52 AM

Well, we had a Girls Night Out last night and Kathie brought her German made Adler to class. What a cool machine! It was not made for this country because the thread regulator and zig zag regulator, etc., are all written on the machine in German! Someone brought the machine here because they loved that machine! It has a pressure release button for the foot instead of a screw release like most machines! It has the tension on the front like a 15, but totally different threading technique. In order to get a nice stitch, I had to go completely around the thread tension disk like we do with a Two Spools or Wheeler & Wilson's! I tried to talk Kathie out of the machine, but no go! She is keeping this one! You go Kathie!

BoJangles 12-18-2011 06:58 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]296226[/ATTACH]Here is Kathie's Adler!