Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 01-09-2012 07:00 AM

I have a question for you cabinet refinishers! A friend of mine just picked up a FW table that someone had put contact paper on top. When she looks under the table, the wood is not cracked nor does it appear to be damaged in any way. She wants to remove the contact paper, but she is afraid she'll hurt the veneer that is under the paper. When she runs her hands all over the top, there appears to be no nicks or gauges on the top. It looks like someone just wanted a white table so they stuck contact paper all over the top. Any suggestions?

Nancy

Candace 01-09-2012 08:02 AM

I wonder if slowly peeling up a corner and spraying it with goo gone would help remove it? It would be a slow, tedious job, but maybe that would work?

Up North 01-09-2012 08:09 AM

You could heat it up with a blow dryer but would still have all the sticky stuff to get off.

irishrose 01-09-2012 08:18 AM

Grand Rapids, MI has a lot of great machines for sale. This one isn't the best priced, but look at it.
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/atq/2731131759.html

jljack 01-09-2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 4857795)
Grand Rapids, MI has a lot of great machines for sale. This one isn't the best priced, but look at it.
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/atq/2731131759.html

Actually, rose, this was was relegated to the Vintage Giggles thread because of the outrageous price!! Nice machine and cabinet, yes, but never at that price!!:thumbdown::D

pennijanine 01-09-2012 03:16 PM

Can someone please date my new white featherweight for me? The numbers are EY851084. Thanks for your help!

Mizkaki 01-09-2012 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine (Post 4858986)
Can someone please date my new white featherweight for me? The numbers are EY851084. Thanks for your help!

Sorry to say that there are no records for a "EY" series. The last "E" series is the "EX" which ran from July 1964 thru June 1965. This is not to say there was no "EY series", just the Singer didn't not keep the records.

Cathy

pennijanine 01-09-2012 04:38 PM

So would that make my machine possibly newer than 1965? Cathy, thanks for your help... No wonder I couldn't find the date!

My book has the copyright date of 1964.

BoJangles 01-09-2012 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 4859061)
Sorry to say that there are no records for a "EY" series. The last "E" series is the "EX" which ran from July 1964 thru June 1965. This is not to say there was no "EY series", just the Singer didn't not keep the records.

Cathy

Cathy is absolulely right of course. If you go to the Singer dating site, they do not list anything with 'EY,' but I had a date for the EY as I have a FW with the EY. I looked in the book "Featherweight 221 The Perfect Portable" by Nancy Johnson-Srebro and she has the 'EY' dates. According to this book, the 'EY' went from October 1966 to October 1968.

Cathy, I have no idea where Nancy Johnson-Srebro got her information, probably just research? She is one of the foremost authorities on the FW. I never realized that she had information in her book that we can't find on the Singer dating site. That is interesting.

Nancy

Now going back through the book mentioned in the above statement on page 39, Nancy Johnson-Srebro says the "EY - unknown, possibly 1969." On page 39 she is talking about the models made in Great Britain. If you get her book and look at page 191, she says "EY - October 1966 - October 1968." This confusing. I will have to read the book to see why the two different dates?

Mizkaki 01-09-2012 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by pennijanine (Post 4859239)
So would that make my machine possibly newer than 1965? Cathy, thanks for your help... No wonder I couldn't find the date!

My book has the copyright date of 1964.

MY "white" featherweight is also a EY series and my original instruction book also has a copyright of 1964.. Your serial number is less than 1400 before from mine. I bought mine new on 5-2-1969. Singer stores were closing them out at a price of $88.00. Boy do I wish I had bought all of them at that price. <GG> This may be of interest: I paid $88.00 + $4.40 in taxes. Paid $12.40 down and paid $5.00 a month on "MY 1 to 36 Credit Plan Account with the Singer Company" with my mother co-signing.

From all that I have read and heard over the years, I suspect that these late serial number machines sat in a warehouse and didn't sell. So Singer unloaded them at clearance prices. Therefore, the date of mfg was after June 1965 (the EX series)and before May 1969 (my dated machine).

Cathy