Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Candace 01-13-2012 07:40 AM

Oh, o.k. Nancy, I don't remember reading that you bought this. I would imagine that if it is some kind of badged machine, it would have something to do with Singer since they're now partners?? As you know, Singer has tons of plastic bodies on the market and that may be where the body came from? Bernina has the Bernette line which is not a Bernina per se, but "made for Bernina". It's a low end, plastic machine. Folks get all excited because they think they're buying a Bernina for an inexpensive amount and getting Bernina quality and they're not:< For $15 I probably would have bought it too and if you get some use out of it, then why not? But, yes, the old Pfaffs can't be beat.

BoJangles 01-13-2012 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4870429)
Oh, o.k. Nancy, I don't remember reading that you bought this. I would imagine that if it is some kind of badged machine, it would have something to do with Singer since they're now partners?? As you know, Singer has tons of plastic bodies on the market and that may be where the body came from? Bernina has the Bernette line which is not a Bernina per se, but "made for Bernina". It's a low end, plastic machine. Folks get all excited because they think they're buying a Bernina for an inexpensive amount and getting Bernina quality and they're not:< For $15 I probably would have bought it too and if you get some use out of it, then why not? But, yes, the old Pfaffs can't be beat.

Yes, this new Pfaff looks just like the plastic Singers, Baby Locks, Janome's, and Elna's too! I don't know that much about the merge of the companies. I thought Husgavarna/Viking (spelling?) and Pfaff merged? I didn't know Singer merged also, but I do remember hearing that something like 4 of the big companies all merged and moved to Taiwan? I need to do some research on that. Anyone, have the scoop?

Nancy

vintagemotif 01-13-2012 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4870867)
Yes, this new Pfaff looks just like the plastic Singers, Baby Locks, Janome's, and Elna's too! I don't know that much about the merge of the companies. I thought Husgavarna/Viking (spelling?) and Pfaff merged? I didn't know Singer merged also, but I do remember hearing that something like 4 of the big companies all merged and moved to Taiwan? I need to do some research on that. Anyone, have the scoop?

Nancy

And then they most likely all moved to China! Some of the companies that had been in Taiwan have moved to China. I don't know if this is the same for the sewing companies, but this could be possible.

Candace 01-13-2012 10:12 AM

Nancy, here you go... http://www.svpworldwide.com/ Singer, Viking and Pfaff merged. What, 2 years ago now??

Candace 01-13-2012 10:15 AM

Even Bernina has bought a factory in Thailand to make some of it's lower end machines now. The higher end ones are still made in Switzerland is the last family owned, European made machine, but all the main manufacturers are going where labor is cheap:<

Miz Johnny 01-13-2012 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4869429)
Ok I am really disenchanted with the Pfaff's now. Every Pfaff I own, before now, is made in Germany! I know everything changes and this Pfaff I just picked up the other day - the one that I can't find any mention of even from a repairman - is made in Taiwan. . . .
Nancy

Not to play the devil's advocate or anything, but I have had some very good machines made in Taiwan. I have had several from the late 80's that were all metal inside.

sew wishful 01-13-2012 01:52 PM

I've been working on the New Home and can not get it to sew well. I have the tension fixed (it was bent),have it now threaded right, and it sewed a couple inches well, then I began messing with the stitch length setting, and now it isn't sewing at all....gobs of thread on the under side, thread breaking...GRRRRR!!!! I have to quit for awhile. :(

Candace 01-13-2012 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny (Post 4871333)
Not to play the devil's advocate or anything, but I have had some very good machines made in Taiwan. I have had several from the late 80's that were all metal inside.

Are you sure you're not talking about made in Japan?

BoJangles 01-13-2012 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny (Post 4871333)

Miz Johnny, you are not playing the devils advocate! I did say I actually like this new Pfaff, and my new Janome's, but it kind of disconcerting for me when all the Pfaff's I have were made in Germany, made very well, and now I own a Pfaff that says made in Taiwan and looks just like all the other plastic wonders out there! I know, I am prejudice, but I use to think Pfaff was a cut above most of the other brands - but not any more!

Anyway, this whole thing about the Pfaff 4228 not being listed anywhere as a Pfaff model is making more and more sense given the link Candace sent of the merge of Singer, Pfaff, and Viking! This new Pfaff I found looks brand new, doesn't appear to ever have been used, and the more I find out the more I believe it happened 'after' the merge!

Nancy

Miz Johnny 01-14-2012 05:24 AM

Nope; definitely Taiwan. I might have the dates wrong, but not the place.

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4872007)
Are you sure you're not talking about made in Japan?