Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 01-22-2012 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4895590)
I'm sorry Nancy, I missed the question! Yes, I painted the squares... and thank you! :)

Geeze Charlee, you are good!

Nancy

BoJangles 01-22-2012 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 4897619)
Please help me and don't shoot me. There is a charity auction next week that I am donating 2, possibly 3, vintage sewing machines to for their cause. The money raised will help with spay/neuter costs of cats and dogs for people who cannot afford the full price at at vet's office. I have already donated a very nice tall wine rack and am working on some 15 minute table runners in addition to the wine rack. I want to donate one of my Singers in a cabinet plus 1 -2 others in the bentwood boxes. My problem is that I do not have any keys for the boxes to any of the machines but I have a 66 and a 99 that I could easily donate and not even miss. Do y'all have any suggestions as to which you'd prefer to see as an auction item? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas. ~ Chris

Chris you will know which one to donate! I have around 15 treadles, 9 of which are in the house with different 'jobs' to do. We all have our favorites because of the machine, cabinet, or something about where they came from. When the time comes you will know which ones you can live without! Great to see the machines go to a good cause.

Nancy

BoJangles 01-22-2012 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4897335)
~blush~ Thanks Monica and everyone! It was fun...time consuming and I hated it when it was finished, still not sure I like it very much, but the 201 is back in it for now. :)

We are always our own worst critics! Charlee, it is only because you got tired of looking at the table while you were working on it that you don't like it! That table is really charming, be proud of yourself for what you accomplished!

Nancy

BoJangles 01-22-2012 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4896197)
They are crib size to lap size and yes, I spend a lot of time pinning. I hate the spray baste stuff. I pine for a long arm, but I just got my expensive Bernina less than 2 years ago so have to earn my "points" again:> We have one in college at Cal Poly SLO and another soon to be...so a long arm is going to have to wait. I'm still young enough to crawl around on the floor for a few hours. Though I do feel it when I get up! Yes, a long arm will be the dream machine and I would love to never have to pin again!

Well Candace I will soon be joining you on the floor to pin! I finished a really nice all flannel quilt a couple years ago and have not quilted it yet because of the crawling around on the floor part. I was a real smartaleck when I did this quilt (I was still learning alot and didn't realize I should not have done the embellishments yet) and added buttons, trapunto, etc., so I can not do this quilt on the long arm. Back to the floor! The problem is this quilt is another large quilt - over 100 X 100 - which will mean at least 2 hours of pinning and probably 1000 pins! I can still crawl around too, but boy do I get stiff when it is time to get up!

Nancy

BoJangles 01-22-2012 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 4896496)
Here's my latest charity baby quilt.

Sharon, what a great kids quilt! Kids love bright colors and the red in your quilt is perfect!

Nancy

Charlee 01-22-2012 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4898446)
Well Candace I will soon be joining you on the floor to pin! I finished a really nice all flannel quilt a couple years ago and have not quilted it yet because of the crawling around on the floor part. I was a real smartaleck when I did this quilt (I was still learning alot and didn't realize I should not have done the embellishments yet) and added buttons, trapunto, etc., so I can not do this quilt on the long arm. Back to the floor! The problem is this quilt is another large quilt - over 100 X 100 - which will mean at least 2 hours of pinning and probably 1000 pins! I can still crawl around too, but boy do I get stiff when it is time to get up!

Nancy

Can't you use the frame to pin it?

Bennett 01-22-2012 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 4897797)
Ladies, Thank you all that replied. Glad I'm not getting shot. As to the bentwood cases, all came open so no need to worry about the screwdriver. I am on the fence about which cabinet machine gets to go. I may have to remove a few accessories and then the 66 can go. DH is thrilled some will be going to new home - he would like to see several cabinets go. There will be antiquers there and have the W&W #9 plus a White in a treadle also in rough shape and I just don't want to let those ladies go yet. Cannot figure out if those 2 would even bring anything in and really on a fence about them. DH and DDs would love to see the herd thinned but I want to be cautious about the thinning rather than willy-nilly. Truly, my problem is too many versus too few to choose from and I do know it's a worthwhile charity.
My vintage ladies would never go to a dump from my hands - different story about DDs and DH's hands although I think younger DD would keep a couple of the vintage ladies.

I would stick with ones that are vintage but still very usable to the average person, and make sure that they know the machines can still be used. You might be able to appeal to a larger group of bidders that way. :)

chris_quilts 01-22-2012 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett (Post 4898932)
I would stick with ones that are vintage but still very usable to the average person, and make sure that they know the machines can still be used. You might be able to appeal to a larger group of bidders that way. :)

Good thought and thanks for the input. That is the conclusion I came to last night when I wrestling with sleep and this issue. Thanks again.

BoJangles 01-22-2012 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4898518)
Can't you use the frame to pin it?

Geeze, Charlee I never thought about just putting it on the table and pinning as I roll it? I don't know if that would work or not? It seems it would be really bulky with all the pins. When I pin one, I make sure I have a pin at least every 3 to 4 inches, so we are talking at least 700 pins! I use to keep track of how many pins I used on a large quilt and I know it was at least 700! I pin a lot because the bigger your quilt, the more chance of getting tucks/puckers if you use too large of pins or don't pin dense enough. I am afraid the quilt would get too bulky and too heavy for the roll bars? But, maybe I will put this quilt on the table and just meander around all the obstacles on the quilt? I really enjoy FM quilting, though, on my 15-88 treadle and on my Pfaff grand quilter. I am really leaning towards the pinning, but rolling it on the Long Arm table is an idea I might have to check out!

Nancy

Charlee 01-22-2012 02:25 PM

When I had the Pfaff GQ, I used the frame to pin for FMQ on my other machines...hated using the Pfaff, so would pin on the frame and then pull it off and use another machine! :)