Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Crossstitcher 02-05-2012 06:33 AM

Bennett, that was a very nice thing you did. The girl should have gotten the machine before it even went to auction.
Sometimes I wonder about family members. Some seem to not want anyone else to have things even if they don't want it themselves.

miriam 02-05-2012 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict (Post 4944172)
Okay, I cleaned up the T&S 758 and oiled and ran her full out for a bit and seem to be running smoothly. But when I put the needle back in, the timing is off. The needle is still down when the bobbin part that rotates goes around and hits it. So not sure if that is something that I can figure out how to fix or if I should just part the machine out or put it on the curb for someone to take.

Check the needle. There are repair manuals. T & S is not my fav but sometimes they can work.

Bennett 02-05-2012 08:02 AM

It is sad when estates go up for auction without being offered to families first, whether for settlement reasons or family differences. I've seen it happen before, and you can tell it hurts. I know one of my immediate family members who has it in his will to do it this way. I think that person believes it will be more equitable to just split the proceeds, having paid in for anything you want at the auction, but he doesn't understand that some things are worth more than a paycheck to the rest of us.

I knew that apple core top was going to go out of my price range, so I took lots of pictures! It was a little wonky on the piecing (by hand), but it had pristine fabrics that looked to be from the early 40s to the 50s or maybe 60s. I was talking to the daughter, and she said it was her grandmother who had been the quilter. Her mother was into different types of crafts, so that might explain the tops that were put away and not finished.

Candace 02-05-2012 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict (Post 4944172)
Okay, I cleaned up the T&S 758 and oiled and ran her full out for a bit and seem to be running smoothly. But when I put the needle back in, the timing is off. The needle is still down when the bobbin part that rotates goes around and hits it. So not sure if that is something that I can figure out how to fix or if I should just part the machine out or put it on the curb for someone to take.

I'm not familiar with this exact model, but there should be a way to unscrew one or two screws that hold the bobbin assembly. Undo the screws and you should be able to rotate the hook to where it needs to be.

miriam 02-05-2012 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4944686)
I'm not familiar with this exact model, but there should be a way to unscrew one or two screws that hold the bobbin assembly. Undo the screws and you should be able to rotate the hook to where it needs to be.

I wouldn't mess with the timing until I tried undoing what ever was done before.

footlooseman 02-05-2012 09:38 AM

Is this a Singer 48K?

2 Attachment(s)
I am in Ukraine with my friend and she knows that I love collecting vintage sewing machines.

The Soviets sure had some interesting sewing machines such as the Tikka (looks like a Singer 15) that was made in Finland, which I wanted to take home except it's a treadle and I can't see taking that on the airplane. [ATTACH=CONFIG]309118[/ATTACH]

Looking at one of their local websites I found what I think is a Singer 48K. Is it a 48K and if it is are needles easy to find? One other question, do you think I am a little crazy thinking about carrying this sewing machine on the airplane with me? [ATTACH=CONFIG]309119[/ATTACH]

Charlee 02-05-2012 10:53 AM

I don't think you're crazy at all for bringing a machine home on the plane! I'd do it in a heartbeat, especially this one! I can't answer your question right now about needles, but I'd buy the machine anyway, and figure out what to do with it later! :D

psychonurse 02-05-2012 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 4942591)
I can't stay away from the machines and tables! LOL!! Gets me in trouble sometimes... Did you happen to notice a date on the invoice?

No I didn't look. It was 2 xeroxed papers, so I thought it was just something they printed off the internet.Maybe it wasn't?

Charlee 02-05-2012 12:34 PM

Could have been a copy of something that someone researched on the web... :)

Bennett 02-05-2012 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by footlooseman (Post 4944922)
I am in Ukraine with my friend and she knows that I love collecting vintage sewing machines.

The Soviets sure had some interesting sewing machines such as the Tikka (looks like a Singer 15) that was made in Finland, which I wanted to take home except it's a treadle and I can't see taking that on the airplane.

That little Tikka is neat. I like how even the plate that the belt goes through is yellow.