Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 02-16-2012 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 4977196)
Happy Anniversary to everyone! We'll have 34 years in April.
Sharon

Congratulations Sharon!

Nancy

BoJangles 02-16-2012 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 4978361)
Spent some time today changing the belt on my Singer 328k in treadle. I exchanged the leather belt with a rubber aquarium hose. I also smoothed down the ruff edges where the belt hits machine by rounding out those edges with a metal file. Why I didn't think of that before, I have no idea. I recently removed the machine from the straight-leg treadle into the standard treadle (what I call standard) when I purchased the Necchi Supernova. This setup for the 328k is so so much easier to treadle, like night and day. After taping the two ends of the hosing together with packing tape (to hold them together), I sewed them together with dental floss like I would for a leather belt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]312334[/ATTACH]

Monica, why do you feel the regular treadle is easier than the straight leg? Why do you feel your 328 is easier to treadle now? Because of the belt or the treadle it self? I am curious as I have both types of treadles and I think the straight leg is way faster and smoother to treadle? Or maybe, it is just that the 15-88 that I have in the straight leg is just a faster machine?

Nancy

Crossstitcher 02-16-2012 06:05 AM

If anyone knows of someone that has a 319 they want to part with please let me know. Thanks

BoJangles 02-16-2012 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 4979126)
Kathie & Nancy,

Cool looking machine. This model is the model "E". Made by the Free Sewing Machine CO. in association with Westinghouse who made the motor. It was made from the early 1940's into early 1950's. It takes the CC needle which is shorter than the 15x1. Several charts found on the internet say that the 206x13 needle is a substitute, however it does not work well. The 206x13 needle has a different timing length than the proper CC. I have a small stock of the proper needle, let me know if you need any.

Cathy

Cathy Wow this is interesting. I knew the gold machine was made by Free Sewing Machine Co, but I guessed the machine had to be from the late 20's because in 1927 Free Sewing Machine Co merged with New Home. In the early 1950's Free/New Home merged with National for 4 years until 1954 when they were bought out by the Japanese, Janome.

The information on the needles is very interesting too! According to ISMACs needle site, the Free Westinghouse uses a 15X1 needle, but the needle being shorter does not surprise me! I wonder if Kathie could call Janome or New Home and date that machine? Kathie, if you want some of the needles Cathy has I will see her this weekend to pick up a machine and I could get a few for you?

Nancy

BoJangles 02-16-2012 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 4979233)
Why not just use a treadle belt? Everyplace I've seen on the net and my LSMG sells the things.

Just wondering. I got 4 treadles and they all wear leather.

Joe

Ya know, I agree with Joe. All my treadles, and I have 14 or 15, wear leather! I buy the treadle belt by the roll - I had to do that for the Hitachi treadle I have because it takes a 75" belt and all the pre-cut treadle belts are 72"! Treadle belts are available at all sewing repair shops and on-line for a pretty reasonable price too, albeit not as cheap as boot laces!

Nancy

BoJangles 02-16-2012 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher (Post 4979844)
If anyone knows of someone that has a 319 they want to part with please let me know. Thanks

Yeah, since I have been treadling my 319, a friend of mine wants one to treadle too! I would never change my 319w back to an electric machine! It did not take one adjustment to the machine, bobbin winder, anything, to put that baby in a treadle, unlike Monica's 328 that had to be modified! All I did is drop her in a treadle after the light and motor were removed!

Nancy

BoJangles 02-16-2012 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]312505[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]312504[/ATTACH] I saw an ad on Craigslist for a Singer Sewing machine and sent an e-mail asking what the machine looked like. I got this back - just this - no note - nothing but this picture!Nancy

justtrish 02-16-2012 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 4977629)
201s are awesome machines! Is yours still with an external motor or in treadle? If you don't have it in treadle, you should.

Yes Bessie has a motor. I don't want to treadle her...... :)

<-------------My treadle is over there

Charlee 02-16-2012 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by sew wishful (Post 4979442)
Charlee, how do you hold the boot laces together?

Usually with the staple from the old, broken belt. Once with a piece of a paperclip bent to shape. Get a good hole by holding the leather under the sewing machine needle and hand turning the wheel to punch a small hole, and using an awl to enlarge it. Never thought about, and hadn't seen the bit about sewing with dental floss until after they were done. Could also use a heavy duty staple from a staple gun...just break it away from the line of staples and bend it to fit.

Charlee 02-16-2012 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher (Post 4979844)

I just saw one in one of the antique stores...in a cabinet with a stool, and every attachment/cam you could get for one.... $125... getting it to you would be spendy tho!