Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 02-17-2012 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by hootnannie (Post 4984520)
OK Monica and Nancy, any help or hints are very welcome.

Does the seller know how to use the machine? If so, have them show you how to work the spool can and thread the machine.

hootnannie 02-17-2012 07:59 PM

no, unfortunately she's not a sewer

vintagemotif 02-17-2012 08:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by hootnannie (Post 4984954)
no, unfortunately she's not a sewer

Ok give me some time here. I collecting photos for you.[ATTACH=CONFIG]313064[/ATTACH]
This picture show the difference of the "spool can bottoms".

BoJangles 02-17-2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by hootnannie (Post 4984520)
OK Monica and Nancy, any help or hints are very welcome.

Annie, I'd just make sure the machine is complete. Make sure the spool canister is in place. It would be nice to have a wooden spool of thread in the canister, but you will need to pull all the old thread off and wind the spool with good quality new thread. Old thread gets rotten. Before you start using the machine, I'd make sure it is clean, oiled good, and put in a new needle. The Eldredge Two Spools uses regular 15x1 needles. The treadle belt winds the second spool. The Two Spools is kind of tricky to thread, you have to go around the tension disk completely, down under the large staple like thread guide - which has a check spring in it, up to the take up thread guide, back down to the thread guide directly above the needle then into the needle left to right.

You will love that machine. I love to piece with mine. The normal foot that comes with the machine is a perfect 1/4". The feed dogs are exactly the same size so no pulling or twisting of the fabric! A great machine!

I can't wait to see pictures!

Nancy

vintagemotif 02-17-2012 08:16 PM

I will make another thread for this titled "National Two Spools CAN" that way I don't have to hunt again for my info.:)
Just give me about 15 minutes.

hootnannie 02-17-2012 08:28 PM

Thank you both so much. It sounds daunting but I'm looking forward to learning how to navigate it once I get it. Probably in a week.

vintagemotif 02-17-2012 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by hootnannie (Post 4984999)
Thank you both so much. It sounds daunting but I'm looking forward to learning how to navigate it once I get it. Probably in a week.

Not a difficult machine to use at all. I hope you are good with pictures. On the spool case (what I call the can) is a pin at the top ( in the photos, my top finger is pointing at it); that pin, called the spring plunger, has a spring to it. This spring plunger may after long use fail to snap into place which means the can may not stay in place. Or if the pin is set too high make it difficult to get spool case in and out of race. This can be adjusted so don't worry. I do believe it was Nancy that I talk through here on this thread on fixing that. As Nancy stated just make sure you have all the parts.

ivey_family 02-17-2012 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Many, many thanks once again to Joe and Cathy for their help! I was actually able to pound the arm on my bobbin case back into position and she now WORKS very nicely! The tension issue is non-existent, and I think I have that washer in the correct position, too!

Here is my Beth, a 1946 Singer 15-91:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]313072[/ATTACH]

She joins Meg, a 2004 Janome, and Jo, a 1989 Huskylock. Hopefully, Amy, a new embroidery machine will be joining her sisters soon! :) There are a few before and after shots here http://s1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/MiraxTHorn/ if anyone is interested. My favorite parts are the silver plates. They were sorely tarnished and coated in nicotine. Now they sparkle!

Thank you again for this wonderful resource for vintage newbies like me!
Best regards,
Carrie

Mizkaki 02-17-2012 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nancy,

I must claim senior moment, the result of spending 4 days each week out of town working and taking care of my Mom who has dementia. ( at least that is my story and I'm sticking to it VBG). The machine I claim to have is not a Free Westinghouse. It's a 3/4 sized western Electric made by National. It's a real cutie!!

Cathy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]313075[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 4982219)
Nancy,

Several models of the Free-Westinghouse VS machines use the 15x1 needles. The rotary machines use the shorter CC needle. Then to completely confuse you i have a 3/4 sized Free-Westinghouse VS from 1920 that uses the longer 20x1 needle.

Cathy

Mizkaki 02-17-2012 09:40 PM

Nancy,

Is Betty hard to treadle when piecing on two layers of cotton or just multilayers for quilting/ binding etc?

Cathy

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 4982751)
Yep, makes sense to me too. Luckily, I have not had to tweak any of my treadles! My Betty (Davis Vertical Feed) is by far the hardest/most work out to treadle. I think that is probably because I only use her to put bindings on Queen/King sized quilts, and because she has to 'walk' the quilt to sew!

Nancy