Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Crossstitcher 03-06-2012 12:44 PM

Chris, what if you took your repair man some copies of that machine off e bay showing prices do you think he would lower the price for you? Just wondering.

jljack 03-06-2012 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5015874)
Look at my avatar! I'm already showing a little cheek! :D

See what happens to you guys when I go away somewhere? You all are getting really rambunctuous!!! LOL

jljack 03-06-2012 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5017484)
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/hsh/2876424565.html - looks like a deal - not mine though

Somebody got the deal...the listing is gone.

vintagemotif 03-06-2012 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 5036886)
See what happens to you guys when I go away somewhere? You all are getting really rambunctuous!!! LOL

Hi Janice! How was the wedding?

jljack 03-06-2012 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5019753)
Miriam, my condolenses. Add my prayers to the others. There is strength in collective prayer.

Add me to this!! Prayers for peace and comfort for you and your family.

Candace 03-06-2012 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts (Post 5036704)
Over the weekend, went back to drool over Pfaff 130 that is in a sewing repair shop. Price is $400 which I feel is steep. One of the gals working there said "it was expensiver (which she assured me was a real word!) because of prices on Ebay for these types of machines." So, I went onto Ebay and found that the several Pfaff 130s which are not selling for quite that much, although one was clearly intended by seller as a parts machine, so am wondering where their prices come from. He does have some nice vintage machines but pricey, very pricey for my pocketbook. I would like a 130 but don't need to have one because I have lots of other good vintage machines. DH agrees it's nice but way too pricey for his wallet. What do y'all think? ~ Chris

You can do a search on ebays CLOSED auctions...meaning what the sold for. What they are LISTED for has no bearing on actual worth. Closed sales at least are a reflection of what people are willing to pay. I've seen them locally for sale in the $100-$200 range via CL. If you bring a printout of closed auctions with you, they may come down a bit. Otherwise, put a wanted ad on CL or be a little patient and wait for one to come up in your price range.

jljack 03-06-2012 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5020195)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]316435[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]316433[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]316432[/ATTACH]Miriam, I am so sorry about you MIL![ATTACH=CONFIG]316430[/ATTACH]Ok you all, I was so depressed about Mowgli that DH said lets go get the Pfaff because after Friday, I will not be going anywhere for a while - while Mowgli is recooping!

Nancy you are plain, flat SPOILED!!! Yes, yes you are!!! LOL I love the look of this machine.

jljack 03-06-2012 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor (Post 5022603)
I got more pictures on the Davis machine that was listed on CL. I think it is a vertical feed, but seems that one "toe" is broken off the foot. It can't work correctly without that foot being complete, can it?Texas JanIt is rough!!!!

Yes, it can still work with a broken toe! It's actually the needle and the bar surrounding it that moves the fabric. Although it isn't as attractive with the broken toe, it will indeed still work.

J Miller 03-06-2012 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5036714)
I do not totally hate parts machines. I have one Singer 500 for parts. She has donated so many parts for so many machines it isn't funny. I would have spent a small fortune on parts if I hadn't bought that machine. I think if you have more than one of that kind you will find it is better to have a source of parts than to buy on line.

Miriam,

I don't hate them either. I suppose they are a necessary evil. But .... and this is just me, if someone gives me a "parts" machine I'm just as likely to fix it as I am the one needing the parts in the first place.

Matter of fact I did that just last month. My Mr. Crinkle ( black crinkle paint 66-18 ) needed parts so I took it to the LSMG and he sold me a donor 66 ( 66-4). I ended up fixing both of them. The one that was supposed to be a parts machine sews sooooooo nice. It didn't deserve to be parted out.

Joe

miriam 03-06-2012 03:37 PM

My Singer 500 donor would have had to had another Singer 500 donor in order to fix it up anyway. I have used the needle bar, the throat plate, the slide plate, the slide plate spring, the bobbin holder, the stitch selector shaft, the bobbin holder spring, a stitch selector screw, the nose door, hinge pieces off the top door, spool holders, the balance wheel, the motor, bobbin winder parts, light parts, cords were shot, foot pedal, rubber feet from the bottom, one machine needed the bottom plate, the body of this machine was/is in terrible shape and the gears were rusted pretty bad. I still have perfectly good parts on that machine. Sure it could have been fixed up. This machine has helped me repair many machines - I would have spent a lot of money on line for those parts - a whole lot more than the $10 or $20 I spent on that ugly machine. So yeah, I did specialize in the slant-o-matics for a long time. I've wanted a 99 for parts for a while but I can't bring my self to part out any I've found - they have all been repairable. I have a Universal 15 clone that was in a flood and needs either some parts or to be parted out. I can't bear to part it out just yet. Maybe another one will come in worse shape and I can take parts off of it and fix it.... Anybody else do that?