Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 03-19-2012 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5071318)
Oh, I get it - feed dogs... I keep learning so much from that machine. I'm liking that Singer 319 machine better the more I use it. I borrowed a motor and foot control from a 99 I turned into a hand crank. The bobbin case had a LOT of burrs and occasionally the thread wants to stay under when I pull up the bobbin thread. After it is up is is ok. I should turn it over and prod around some more. Right now it is set for FM. I need to bring home the table it was in so I can really sew something. That table has a door in front. You flip the door open all the way to help prop the table I guess. In the front of the table there is a hole to reach in for changing the bobbin - so much easier to reach through the hole. I still need the end screw for the needle holder but unless I change the needle it seems to work ok - go figure.

Miriam if you are talking about the 319 and the thread occasionally catching "wants to stay under when I pull up the bobbin thread." I'd bet you need to move that 'position finger' over just a hair so the bobbin thread will clear! The manual says it should be about .020 from the hook. Ask me how I know?

Nancy

BoJangles 03-19-2012 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5070914)
EUREKA!!!! Cathy, you are brilliant. That spring needle you pictured is the absolutely BEST FMQ tool for the 319 I've found. Here's the thing. I've had it forever and haven't used it with the 319 because it never dawned on me that the needle could be removed and replaced. I had assumed it was factory made to be replaced with the needle, if and when it was dull or broken. So, I had basically counted it out considering the 319 takes specialty 206 x 13 needles. When you mentioned that you thought other needles could be inserted that really got me motivated.

First, I removed the spring using my fingernail. I inserted the 206 size 12 needle and it worked, but not great. I was getting some skipped stitches. So, I tried the size 14 and it was a bit harder to install in the spring. As you can see by the photo the length of the needle is different and it took me a while to get the spring to sit on the sweet spot of the needle and yet to allow it to insert fully into the needle holder clamp. But, after a minute or two of playing with it, I got it just right in the spring and did the best FMQ ever on the 319! I'm so exicited to have this machine as an option. I was using junk thread so hope to have better results using quality thread;> I FMQ a lot and spend countless hours doing so. So...having machines that do a good job with it is very important to me.

So, thanks Cathy for giving me this option as it's great. I'm going to use the spring attachment I received from you on my Rotary 77.

I would suggest that anyone interested in FMQ on their 319 to buy one of these spring needles!

Ok, I am starting to get caught up! Candace, you figured it out? You can now use your 319 for FM? I want to get one of those springs, but how much trouble is it to install? I have so many other machines to use for FM, that I doubt I'd ever use my 319, especially since it is in a treadle! When I do FM, I need to be sitting with a machine at the dinning room table because of the size of most of my quilts, unless it is a Quilt as You Go - which I do on my 15-88 treadle. How exciting, though. It would be fun to play with that spring thing, but it looks dangerous too!

By the way, you do a great job with FM! I am not as good as you are, but I do enjoy doing the FM! Congratulations on figuring out how to use the 'spring thing' with Cathy's help!

Nancy

Charlee 03-19-2012 06:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Muv (Post 5072305)
Why not just send Laga a message and ask them - or would that spoil the fun?

go ahead....it'll be interesting. In the meantime, here's a screen capture....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321000[/ATTACH]

Candace 03-19-2012 06:32 AM

Yes. The spring needle works great. I hope Cathy can find a source. I'd go ahead and buy some more just to have extras. They are small and could get lost. Personally, I would never be able to get the results I do from treadling as I'm full on pedal to the metal. If I'm doing something very intricate I'll slow a little, but meandering or something like that? Full speed ahead! People that see me do it alway ask how many sewing machines I've burned out. I've not burned out a vintage machine yet!!

Yes, the spring will be a bit more dangerous than a true foot. I will have to be more careful. Over my career in sewing I've sewed a finger twice. I don't want to make it 3 times.

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5072694)
Ok, I am starting to get caught up! Candace, you figured it out? You can now use your 319 for FM? I want to get one of those springs, but how much trouble is it to install? I have so many other machines to use for FM, that I doubt I'd ever use my 319, especially since it is in a treadle! When I do FM, I need to be sitting with a machine at the dinning room table because of the size of most of my quilts, unless it is a Quilt as You Go - which I do on my 15-88 treadle. How exciting, though. It would be fun to play with that spring thing, but it looks dangerous too!

By the way, you do a great job with FM! I am not as good as you are, but I do enjoy doing the FM! Congratulations on figuring out how to use the 'spring thing' with Cathy's help!

Nancy

jlhmnj 03-19-2012 07:33 AM

Davis Rotary

Elusive Davis made Davis Rotary spotted on CA Craigslist. Not much to look at but made my day:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...908746250.html

BoJangles 03-19-2012 07:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]321011[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5070618)
Nancy,Maybe you could resize this pic too? :)In lieu of a factory slide plate, you can fabricate one from 1/8" thick brass or steel sheet. All it takes is beveling the edges, rounding the end toward you and fitting the inner end. There you have it, a home made slide plate so you can use the machine. The front plate on my Minnesota ~B~ is home made. Eventually I'd like to find a factory replacement, but the home version will work for a while longer. It's been there forever as it is.Joe

Here you go Joe! Let us know you can see this!

Nancy

Weedwoman 03-19-2012 07:40 AM

Been reading everything everybody posts, enjoy it all. I've been busy make more miniature quilts because I've run out of room for big ones and I've made and given all my grandkids bed sized quilts. I am going to make all my greats (4 so far) bed sized ones soon. I've made them all crib sized ones. I'm into piecing by hand so I have something to do while TV is on (fall asleep otherwise).
I do have a long arm quilting machine and I love to use the Essential Pro thread from Connecting Threads (no affiliation) it's 70 weigh 3 ply and comes in many colors. My vintage machines love it also, my computerized Brother likes it on top but not in the bobbin. Just thought I'd toss that info in about the thread in case anybody wants to try a really thin, strong thread. Another good thing is the price is very affordable.

BoJangles 03-19-2012 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif (Post 5070564)
Nancy,

I always try to take pictures of removing parts so that I have an order to removal, to see what it looked like before and after, and for future reference. Thank God I didn't have to do to much of that yesterday since Rain's blog has all the needed photos for this simple job.

While the "how to do the timing" on a Singer 319w is still fresh in your mind, you could do a tutorial to share with others here on the QB. Do you have a blog? IF so, you could post it there too. I followed Rain's excellent tutorial on his blog on the Singer 201. And the heads up on how to use the little silver Singer screwdriver while removing and installing the hook made life easier- no frustrations or bad works.

Monica, I don't do blogs, just don't have the time. I know you and Candace (and a lot of others here too I am sure) are a lot like I am, kinda an 'A' personality that has to be 'moving' all the time. I just can't sit still very long. If I am sewing, I am fine, otherwise, I have to go 'do' something. I am not on facebook either for the same reason - too time consuming for me. This board is the most time I spend on the computer - other than this, and a few e-mails to friends, I am never on the computer. I had to spend all day on the computer when I was working so I just stay away from it now. I love this board and what we all teach each other here so I will keep this indulgence!

If someone needs to be walked through timing the 319, I could help, but I did it by 'hook and crook' and a lot of praying and luck!

Nancy

BoJangles 03-19-2012 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman (Post 5072975)
Been reading everything everybody posts, enjoy it all. I've been busy make more miniature quilts because I've run out of room for big ones and I've made and given all my grandkids bed sized quilts. I am going to make all my greats (4 so far) bed sized ones soon. I've made them all crib sized ones. I'm into piecing by hand so I have something to do while TV is on (fall asleep otherwise).
I do have a long arm quilting machine and I love to use the Essential Pro thread from Connecting Threads (no affiliation) it's 70 weigh 3 ply and comes in many colors. My vintage machines love it also, my computerized Brother likes it on top but not in the bobbin. Just thought I'd toss that info in about the thread in case anybody wants to try a really thin, strong thread. Another good thing is the price is very affordable.

Geeze, 70 weight? That is tiny! But, 3 ply is a little stronger than serging thread. I can't even use Bottom Line in the bobbin on my HQ! He hates the thiner threads! Nice to hear from you Weedwoman!

Nancy

vintagemotif 03-19-2012 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5072732)
go ahead....it'll be interesting. In the meantime, here's a screen capture....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]321000[/ATTACH]

Thank you Charlee!!! I say it's a foot. I also once saw a young guy on youtube draw designs with thread on fabric without any foot or spring- very impressive.