Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 04-17-2012 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by jtapp9 (Post 5148434)
For those that were following a personal story of mine, I wanted to say that I received my 500A back yesterday. She looks good and I hope she now runs as good. Haven't had the chance to try her out yet. To those that Had My Back, thanks for your encouragement!.

Maybe I can start enjoying sewing and the QB again! :)

Welcome back Julie!!!

vintagemotif 04-17-2012 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5147918)
I agree with Candace on the rayon thread. Candace I have bought almost every shade of Isacord from Meissners in Folsom. I bet the store down near Arden mall has it too. I love the Isacord - I started using it when my embroidery machine kept refusing to sew with other brands of embroidery thread - love the stuff!

Joe, the reason I asked about the thread weight it just looking at the photos makes it look like the thread your wife is using is a heavier weight thread. When I buy my fancy jeans, the decorative thread on them has to be 30 weight or heavier. I haven't been able to find thread like that unless I get upholstery thread. I have taken the inseam apart to open up a leg on jeans to embroider flowers on the leg, but never tried to go through more than a single layer. I am inspired to try embroidering around the pockets after seeing those photos! You know those really nice jeans with the glitz all over the pockets run around $100 a pair! I just might start getting plain jeans and doing the decorating myself! Thanks for the inspiration!
Nancy

Nancy, I noticed your jeans that you had worn to Cathy's TOGA, but I didn't make a comment since I thought you just purchased them that way. Do you add additional embroidery to all of your jeans? You did an excellent job!!

jljack 04-17-2012 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5147418)
http://dayton.craigslist.org/atq/2960383483.html too bad this one is so far away..... I like the cabinet...

That's the same cabinet I got in January. I love it!! It needs some work, but it's really cool....even has the glass ink well in the top left drawer.

vintagemotif 04-17-2012 08:55 AM

For those that were following a personal story of mine, I wanted to say that I received my 500A back yesterday. She looks good and I hope she now runs as good. Haven't had the chance to try her out yet. To those that Had My Back, thanks for your encouragement!.

Happy to read that you have your machine! Don't be afraid to work on her yourself. There are so many tutorials that can be found on the internet. Here on QB, numerous wonderful folks have shared their excellent methods of cleaning, Muv's tute, and repairs. You can always ask Cathy for help in repairs if you get into trouble. Cathy is very good to go to for help. Enjoy your lady!!!

jljack 04-17-2012 09:02 AM

Welcome back, Julie, and glad the issues with your machine are cleared up.

Candace 04-17-2012 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5148396)
Candace, thank you for the tip on mail ordering Isacord. It is expensive if you buy it from the fabric store. Isn't the old Meissners near Arden Mall? I don't go down there, but that is where I thought it was?

Nancy

The hub store in Sacramento is off of El Camino but yes, is right after the exit to Arden Fair now that I think about it!

vintagemotif 04-17-2012 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 5148520)
That's the same cabinet I got in January. I love it!! It needs some work, but it's really cool....even has the glass ink well in the top left drawer.

I love those cabinets! Way cool looking!

J Miller 04-17-2012 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5148416)
Joe an upholstery supply or a place that sells supplies for boats should have a sun guard type thread. It is pretty strong and should hold up. Your machine can't use a bigger size needle. It won't have enough clearance for the thread and the needle. My walking foot could do it in a heart beat. Nubond is a polyester thread #92 lb It is about $25 a spool.

Well, I just discovered several things.
First: the 201 will sew through two layers of that vinyl without any trouble.

Second: the polyester upholstery thread we used years ago is so heavy that the machine will sew with it,but getting the bobbin tension right might not be do-able. Or will take some doing, don't know yet as I hate to mess with the bobbin tension.

Third: A size 16 jeans needle works just fine.

Now to fine tune our efforts and do this thing.

Joe

chris_quilts 04-17-2012 09:15 AM

Gald you have your machine back and welcome back to the board and to this site. Nice seeing your face again.

irishrose 04-17-2012 09:39 AM

'It's better late than never' certainly applies here. I would assume it will sew well. Welcome back to the board.