Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

SewExtremeSeams 06-15-2012 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 (Post 5289491)

Jelly roll racer, I would not think it was cheating to make a practice one, even undersized to see what you may need to do different. After yall talked about it before, I put the Pfaff 230 up against my 301, and Pfaff was the winner. Just timed myself on both on lap quilt stuff. I know you are doing it for fun, but one thing I learned coaching kids in softball is that you don't have to teach them that losing sucks. Maybe it is a mental thing, but I usually go prepared. Good luck.

Thanks. I have a jelly roll that I just finished sewing in sets of two strips so I still have plenty of length left on them. Planning to timing my speed today. Also, have to check tension today on my 301, I think it was off last time I sewed with it. I hope not, it really does sew fast. One more day... :eek:

BoJangles 06-15-2012 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 5288935)

Great idea on not going for the neatnik aspect. I can clip threads later (or not). Confession: I don’t draw angles anyway when I am making bindings, I figure I can eyeball it pretty accurately. Did you unroll your jelly roll prior to your race [like at home] to let it flatten out? I sure hope their tables don’t bounce. That bugs me BUT, I won’t let it slow me down.

:shock::shock:Oh dear, I will probably be awake all night rehearsing this in my mind when I should be sleeping. What fun though! Thanks for all of your tips. Ya know, California isn't that far away and Saturday isn't for two more days. :)

No we didn't even get to open our Jelly Roll until the timer went off! We then had to open, straighten, and sort colors - you don't want to sew two strips together that are the same, but after you get into the quilt top you may end up with two colors side by side - don't worry about it - just keep going - but, don't sew the first very very long strip with two connecting colors that match! Geeze, I wish I had known what I was doing when I started my race! I was working on a FW and - NO they are not as fast as a 301 or 15 or something else! I would have wound an extra bobbin, had a spool of thread with lots of thread still on it - and NOT cut tails! I don't remember tables bouncing, we all had our own table- but, I remember it seemed like a sweat shop - just zoom, buzz, zoom, zoom, buzz buzz, we were working!

Nancy

BoJangles 06-15-2012 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by jljack (Post 5289008)
I know there have been discussions about Singer 328Ks here, but I can't find any using the Search. Anyone have an opinion? Thanks.

Did you ask Monica? She has a 328 in treadle!

Nancy

BoJangles 06-15-2012 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman (Post 5289042)
This isn't sewing related but the horse people might like this. I saw it and thought it was worth passing on.

Yep, taking on a horse is more like a 30 year commitment! This is why I NEVER sell my horses - they stay here until they die of natural causes!

Nancy

BoJangles 06-15-2012 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5289270)
So cute!! I bought this machine to
be a parts machine, but....so cute! Must keep! only 5 bucks, too. Laura
[ATTACH=CONFIG]342105[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]342106[/ATTACH]

Laura, I love that little machine! It looks like it has a rubber mallet head - so cute!

Nancy

Glenn 06-15-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5289865)
Hey Skip! Question for you.

When you apply wax with steel wool in order to get the satin finish, don't you end up with "steel wool lint" in the finish? I'm not ready to wax yet, but trying to think through the options! :)

No Charlee you will not have to worry about steel wool lint. The wax will hold any lint and will be removed when you buff the wax out. I have been using it for years with no problems.
Skip

jtapp9 06-15-2012 12:11 PM

I keep trying to search but not finding anything. Does anyone have pictures of a 347? My sister says she got me a Singer in a cabinet and the numbers (i'm assuming model numbers) is B347. When I type that into google I come up with Brother machines (parts). She says its blue!

Will be calling her later this evening but wondering if anyone had any idea about what she might have :)

Thanks!

jtapp9 06-15-2012 12:16 PM

Well, to answer myslef, I did find a blue 347 on ebay! I'm guessing the B in my sisters note was a typo.

I dont have a blue machine :)

Originally Posted by jtapp9 (Post 5291262)
I keep trying to search but not finding anything. Does anyone have pictures of a 347? My sister says she got me a Singer in a cabinet and the numbers (i'm assuming model numbers) is B347. When I type that into google I come up with Brother machines (parts). She says its blue!

Will be calling her later this evening but wondering if anyone had any idea about what she might have :)

Thanks!

Charlee 06-15-2012 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5291256)
No Charlee you will not have to worry about steel wool lint. The wax will hold any lint and will be removed when you buff the wax out. I have been using it for years with no problems.
Skip

Thanks Skipper! :) I think that's the way I'm going to go!!

nurseknitsLaura 06-15-2012 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5291059)
Laura, I love that little machine! It looks like it has a rubber mallet head - so cute!

Nancy

Took me a while to realize it has a light in it's little mallet head. I think his name is Elmer. Anyone have a scan or a link of a manual for the little 3/4 National/Eldridge/Montgomery Wards machines? Need to change the light bulb and cant reckon how to get in there. Laura