Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

purplefiend 08-12-2012 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5433286)
Try the quilting foot. Unfortunately sharps are not good for knits. For fleece, I don't think you'll see a problem, but maybe....sharps can leave holes in many knits and actually cause some of the material to make runs and ruin the fabric. I've done that myself:< The pressure may need to be tweaked. I would try using a larger needle and increase the pressure and see how that goes? You may just have to sew fleece on a machine that you can get the proper needle for.

Fleece is also a knit fabric and needs a ball point needle so that you don't have permanent holes in your garment or whatever you're sewing it into. I used a 90/14 ball point needle; you need to be careful that the needle isn't hitting your hook/bobbin case when you're sewing, especially if you're using a straight stitch machine.
Sharon W.

J Miller 08-12-2012 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 (Post 5435613)
Joe,

Yes, the Q foot is a clear plastic kenmore foot that came with q needles. I see them in sets on shop goodwill sometimes. That foot was the life saver for t shirt type fabrics. Also, you can try cheating the needle down just a smidge, if you don't have the q foot. Not sure of the logic, just that it sometimes worked back in the day.

OK then, that probably won't help with this machine. This Kenmore is a mid 50s machine that uses the top clamp feet and an extinct needle. I've had to substitute a serger needle DCx1F for the OEM ones.

What gets me is that every other machine we have, Singers, Kenmores, Dressmasters, modern and old, etc will sew fleece just fine with sharp needles and regular presser feet.

Yes this one is being obnoxious.

Joe

J Miller 08-12-2012 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by purplefiend (Post 5435703)
Fleece is also a knit fabric and needs a ball point needle so that you don't have permanent holes in your garment or whatever you're sewing it into. I used a 90/14 ball point needle; you need to be careful that the needle isn't hitting your hook/bobbin case when you're sewing, especially if you're using a straight stitch machine.
Sharon W.

I'm not so much concerned with the quality of stitching, or holes or runs, but that this goofy machine will not sew the fleece.
By will not sew I'm saying that when the needle goes down it takes the thread with it, and when it comes back up it the thread does not make a bow or what ever you call it for the hook to catch. It will do this with all other fabrics though, just not fleece.

I check the manual this morning and I did have the bobbin in backwards. Once in correctly it made no difference.
So I'll try a different thread next.

My wife said that since fleece wasn't invented till after this machine was made that it just might not sew it period. Not sure I agree with her, but I won't argue.

Joe

miriam 08-12-2012 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5435890)
I'm not so much concerned with the quality of stitching, or holes or runs, but that this goofy machine will not sew the fleece.
By will not sew I'm saying that when the needle goes down it takes the thread with it, and when it comes back up it the thread does not make a bow or what ever you call it for the hook to catch. It will do this with all other fabrics though, just not fleece.

I check the manual this morning and I did have the bobbin in backwards. Once in correctly it made no difference.
So I'll try a different thread next.

My wife said that since fleece wasn't invented till after this machine was made that it just might not sew it period. Not sure I agree with her, but I won't argue.

Joe

different presser foot?

miriam 08-12-2012 12:29 PM

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/atq/3166180641.html
I need a LIKE button

Charlee 08-12-2012 12:36 PM

Miriam, I'm not much for the White sewing machines, but I'd be on that one like white on rice....just for the cabinet!

miriam 08-12-2012 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5436077)
Miriam, I'm not much for the White sewing machines, but I'd be on that one like white on rice....just for the cabinet!

too far for me - well actually it is the time... price is right.

Charlee 08-12-2012 01:17 PM

GOIN' CAMPIN'!!! :D

We leave tomorrow after work to head out for a couple of days of camping! Tuesday, we have our "Annual Dinner Party at the Lake"...so far we have 16 guests coming for dinner, which will be:
stuffed porkchop with an orange glaze
sweet potatoes
bacon wrapped asparagus
salad, bread rolls
triple berry cobbler with homemade ice cream.

All cooked in cast iron dutch ovens at the camp site. We always have a good time at these parties, and everyone is usually surprised to see what can be done with the cast iron and charcoal!

And yes! I'm taking my handcrank Singer 28K!! :D

Glenn 08-12-2012 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5436162)
GOIN' CAMPIN'!!! :D

We leave tomorrow after work to head out for a couple of days of camping! Tuesday, we have our "Annual Dinner Party at the Lake"...so far we have 16 guests coming for dinner, which will be:
stuffed porkchop with an orange glaze
sweet potatoes
bacon wrapped asparagus
salad, bread rolls
triple berry cobbler with homemade ice cream.

All cooked in cast iron dutch ovens at the camp site. We always have a good time at these parties, and everyone is usually surprised to see what can be done with the cast iron and charcoal!

And yes! I'm taking my handcrank Singer 28K!! :D

Charlee have fun on your trip Pat and I sure did. Miriam and Phil are the best. Charlee I think you and William should come down and visit with us. You did not mention anything about my nice little singer 12. If you come I think we can get Miriam and Phil to come to.

Skip

Charlee 08-12-2012 03:54 PM

Skip.....I'd LOVE to come visit!

That Singer 12 with the MOP was supposed to be mine...when can I expect you to send it? :D

Did you get my email about Anamarie's cabinet?