Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

jennb 09-11-2012 01:04 PM

I have a white rotary in case from 1905 and just added a treadle to my collection yesterday. It will be awhile before I can sew on either of them but they are pretty!!

Charlee 09-11-2012 02:35 PM

Ok M'friends....tell me about a Pfaff 230. I found one locally, but didn't pick it up...no attachments at all, in a cabinet (would prefer a case) Everything moves and it appears that the camstack is in one piece.... the guy wants $30, could probably get it for $20...
Do I want it?

miriam 09-11-2012 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5507476)
Ok M'friends....tell me about a Pfaff 230. I found one locally, but didn't pick it up...no attachments at all, in a cabinet (would prefer a case) Everything moves and it appears that the camstack is in one piece.... the guy wants $30, could probably get it for $20...
Do I want it?

yeah I betcha you do
I'm only on for a few seconds - internet has been down for a few days

BoJangles 09-11-2012 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by lee231 (Post 5505308)
Does anyone have a diagram of the upper threading of a Eldredge or National two spool? TIA Lee

Lee I will post a photo later, but here is the jest of how to thread a Two Spools! Turn the hand wheel toward you until the take-up is at the highest point. Draw the thread from the spool between disks of the top thread guide - there is a slot on top of the bigger disk at top of face plate to draw thread into - forcing the thread into the disc on the side closest to you. Don't wrap the thread around the disc, just go through the top slot and between the discs on one side, down into the tension pulley from right to left all the way around the tension pulley, now go down to the staple like thread guide near the bottom of the face plate - there is a spring in that thread guide that will catch the thread when you start to sew -, now up to the take-up thread guide threading from right to left (from the front), now down to the last thread guide on the face plate above the needle! Through the needle from left to right!

I'll try and get a photo and post it later! I hope this helps! Just remember this is one of those machines where the thread wraps all the way around the tension pulley. The thread will actually cross itself after wrapping around the tension pulley, through the long staple thread guide with a check spring in the middle of it, back up to the take up thread guide - NOW it will cross itself as you go back down to the last 'c' thread guide.

Nancy

BoJangles 09-11-2012 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 5507476)
Do I want it?

Charlee, I'd get that 230 in a heartbeat! I think Sharon has a 230?

Nancy

BoJangles 09-11-2012 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by JuliaG (Post 5506302)
Hey everyone!
I'm new here, I don't quilt(...yet). I've only been sewing about 4 years. I have recently acquired a Singer 15-91(Great condition she just needed new electrical), a 1923 White Rotary (really dirty, some rust, currently in pieces for cleaning), and I will be picking up a Clipper treadle (looks dirty, cabinet damage,most decals seem intact)tomorrow.
I am posting this because of the Clipper. I can't find ANY info on it, except one mention on ISMACS (needle guide several pages down) it says the manufacturer was New Home. I was wondering if any one knows where I can find more information on it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]361956[/ATTACH]The base does look like some of the New Home models I have seen online, but I've never seen a cabinet like this(carving on the front is textured and the pulls sit center on a horizontal diamond). If needed I will post better pics tomorrow after I get it. Needless to say I've been bitten by the vintage machine bug and couldn't resist this mystery. If anyone has any ideas/leads or something I would be grateful
Thank you!
Julie

Julie, I'd love to see a close up photo of the machine. Those decals look very interesting!

Nancy

jennb 09-11-2012 03:50 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Ok my photos are not very good because there's horrible lighting in the guest house at the moment and they're all "stacked" in one room but here's my acquisitions from yesterday. I haven't looked at the serial numbers to date them yet:
White Coffin Top:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]362118[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]362119[/ATTACH]
New Cottage in bentwood case:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]362121[/ATTACH]
Singer "Tiffany/Gingerbread" in case (in EXCELLENT condition too!):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]362122[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]362123[/ATTACH]
Singer in bentwood case (also in excellent condition):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]362124[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]362125[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]362126[/ATTACH]

Candace 09-11-2012 03:52 PM

Charlee, if it's in working condition, that Pfaff should be in your possession! Just make sure ALL the cords are there as they are very expensive to replace.

lee231 09-11-2012 03:53 PM

Thanks Nancy, I had it that way once and wasn't sure it was right. I thought the friction disc was bad because I couldn't get the thread in between the disc, now I realize that it's more like a pulley with the spring putting pressure on the disc to resist turning. Thank you. Lee

vintagemotif 09-11-2012 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]362135[/ATTACH]

Threading for the Two Spools.

Somewhere I once posted the threading for the Two Spools on QB. I can't find it now. Oh well.