Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 12-04-2012 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5695377)
Does anyone know what accessories are available for an Anker RZ, aka New Home CZ, aka Free Westinghouse? It is a low shank machine. Would any low shank accessories work on it? Also does anyone know a good source for the bobbin tire for the same machine? Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks. ~G~

Grant I know nothing about the Anker, but low shank feet are interchangeable with all your low shank machines - unless it is a dedicated left needle machine! I actually pieced a block of the month yesterday using my "Rodney" machine, which is a dedicated left needle position machine! I didn't think it was possible to do a 1/4" seam with one of those machines because your seam allowance is not even over the right feed dog. I have a straight stitch foot for the left needle machines. I just put the foot on and pieced using only the left feed . . . . worked great. I was really impressed with the machine too, very quiet, strong, and smooth.

Great job Grant on the 99!

Nancy

miriam 12-04-2012 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5697671)
Grant I know nothing about the Anker, but low shank feet are interchangeable with all your low shank machines - unless it is a dedicated left needle machine! I actually pieced a block of the month yesterday using my "Rodney" machine, which is a dedicated left needle position machine! I didn't think it was possible to do a 1/4" seam with one of those machines because your seam allowance is not even over the right feed dog. I have a straight stitch foot for the left needle machines. I just put the foot on and pieced using only the left feed . . . . worked great. I was really impressed with the machine too, very quiet, strong, and smooth.

Nancy

I was impressed with that machine for what ever reason, too. I think I would like it better if it was not dedicated left though.

BoJangles 12-04-2012 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by makitmama (Post 5695160)
I like our descriptive names... clunck, clink, rattle.. and not to forget thingee, whatchamacallit, dohicky, thingamajigger.

I told my daughter the other day that the store she wanted was kattywonkus to the gas station. She didn't understand, and then said 'Oh! you mean kittycornered!'.

Mama, I love and use all these descriptive words! Everyone should know what all those slang words mean! :thumbup:
Pretty soon your daughter will be a pro at using those slang words too!

Nancy

grant15clone 12-04-2012 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5697671)

Nancy

Nancy, Thank you for this info. Although I am not a sewer as much as a restorer, this helps. I didn't know if because it is German if it would make a difference or not. I'm glad to hear that Rodney is a good machine. Sometimes looks can be deceiving. And Thank You for the compliment.
~G~

grant15clone 12-04-2012 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up a Pfaff 130 this weekend and was trying to clean it up a bit and this shows what a little rubbing alcohol followed by some car wax can do to even the worst dried on, baked on, oil and schmutz. I like the after shot. It shines so much it has a double reflection.
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]380032[/ATTACH]

BoJangles 12-04-2012 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5697677)
I was impressed with that machine for what ever reason, too. I think I would like it better if it was not dedicated left though.

Well I'd bet he was just impressed with the La Vincendora decals and the hand crank!

Nancy

J Miller 12-04-2012 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5697658)
Miriam, I just use regular car wax. You can get it at any auto parts store or any store like Wal-Mart, Target, etc. too. The thing I want to stress though is it should be just a plain wax. Not rubbing or polishing compound and nothing with an abrasive in it. Abrasives are bad for sewing machines and their finish.
~G~

Grant,

How about a brand name and product version? There are a gazillion versions of "car wax" to look through. If you tell us specifically what you use it would save us a lot of looking.

Joe

J Miller 12-04-2012 06:29 AM

Grant,

Just an additional comment. I have tried one form of car wax that was non abrasive and it did attack the decals. So I'm not gonna buy anything else until I know positively what to buy.

Joe

BoJangles 12-04-2012 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5697702)
I picked up a Pfaff 130 this weekend and was trying to clean it up a bit and this shows what a little rubbing alcohol followed by some car wax can do to even the worst dried on, baked on, oil and schmutz. I like the after shot. It shines so much it has a double reflection.
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]380032[/ATTACH]

Geeze, that 130 shines! I have always been afraid of rubbing alcohol and decals! That machine looks great! Please post a photo after you have that machine all cleaned up!

Now if you want a machine that would have no problem doing sails - it is the Pfaff 130! In fact, the 130 was used for making/repairing sails by a lot of sailors! I feel guilty sometimes that I don't use my 130 more. Between the Pfaff 1222e with the built in walking foot, the Pfaff 130 for its power, and my Singer 319 for decorative - I really don't need another machine! Hummmmm, I have to add, though, that the Pfaff 360 just does the most amazing job with free motion work! Although, I have never tried to FM with the 130! The 1222e also does great with FM!

Nancy

Charlee 12-04-2012 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5697716)
Grant,

Just an additional comment. I have tried one form of car wax that was non abrasive and it did attack the decals. So I'm not gonna buy anything else until I know positively what to buy.

Joe

Joe, I've had good luck with MacGuire's Carnauba wax. A couple of my machines came to me sans clear coat and the decals exposed. Cleaned with sewing machine oil, and then the wax....they're fine and they shine now! :)