Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

makitmama 12-06-2012 06:15 AM

Joe, shame on you!:D although that could be considered a 'scorched earth' war action, and I was definitely at war with the last pile of goop.

wolph33 12-06-2012 06:17 AM

I just want to say that my collection of vintage machines is growing.I just love the nostalgia of these great well made works of art.I do not use them in my everyday sewing -but I may give it a whirl.

BoJangles 12-06-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingweb (Post 5698345)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]380078[/ATTACH]This is a machine I picked up for free with two other machines, one a White and the other a Kenmore. It is a high shank, left needle machine. It was a mess when I got it, but now, after some oil, a new bobbin winder wheel and lots of Qtips and cotton batting (my fave cleaning cloths) it works perfectly. It even has a control for "automatic" (semi-automatic?) button holes.

I have a friend who needs to borrow a machine and I'm going to let her use this one if she wants. It really surprised me, it's a great machine. I really have no idea of the age or who made it. It's Japanese and takes the same bobbins as an old Kenmore I have from around 68 or so. It's a DeLuxe Emporium, DeLuxe 146B. I've done some searching, but haven't really found anything more about it. I found one similar on YouTube and watched the video. A lot of similarities, but not exactly the same. Just a good solid machine.

Oh, and I can drop the feed dogs and do a little FMQ!

Quiltingweb, your two-tone pink machine looks alot like my two-tone blue "Rodney" machine. I was pleasantly surprised at how strong and smooth my machine is. Those are great machines, but the left needle thing does sort of bug me. I'm curious if some of the high shank feet work on these left needle machines? I don't have high shank accessories to try except for a straight stitch foot that must of been made for the left needle machines! Has anyone tried their generic high shank feet on a left needle machine? I am curious if I ordered a darning/hopping foot if it would work with the left needle thing?

Nancy

vintagemotif 12-06-2012 08:10 AM

Happy St. Nicholas Day to All! May your shoes be full of wonderful treats and sitting beside them a new vintage sewing machine!:D

For those looking for a sewing project to make with that special vintage machine, here is a Santa PP project:
http://seehowwesew.wordpress.com/201...lock-is-ready/

Enjoy!

J Miller 12-06-2012 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5701734)
Quiltingweb, your two-tone pink machine looks alot like my two-tone blue "Rodney" machine. I was pleasantly surprised at how strong and smooth my machine is. Those are great machines, but the left needle thing does sort of bug me. I'm curious if some of the high shank feet work on these left needle machines? I don't have high shank accessories to try except for a straight stitch foot that must of been made for the left needle machines! Has anyone tried their generic high shank feet on a left needle machine? I am curious if I ordered a darning/hopping foot if it would work with the left needle thing?

Nancy

Nancy,

I've been working with my Aldens Magic ZZ and my Dial 'n Sew machines. Both are high shank, left needle position on straight stitch machines.
The Aldens came with attachments and feet and I have tried the other generic high shank feet I have on it and they not only fit, they work just fine as well.
The same thing with the Dial 'n Sew. I suspect that the only time you'll run into any problems is trying to use the ZZ with a straight stitch foot and needle plate. That's a bit of sudden rudeness nobody likes.

One other weird thing. The Aldens ( Looks like a Necchi) will do straight stitch from the middle position. But, if I use the straight stitch needle plate I have to move the L-M-R lever to L. I don't bother cos the left needle position is a pain to set up for 1/4" seams. I just leave the Aldens on ZZ and put it in the M position. Problem solved.

The Dial 'n Sew and my Domestic automatically park left and you just gotta deal with it somehow, but at least the generic attachments I have work on them.

Joe

quiltingweb 12-06-2012 10:59 AM

Thanks Joe, I was going to say, I found some high shank feet in a box of other attachments, and yes, they do work just fine. I was a bit tentative at first, but they do work. Oh, and it is an exact twin of the Aldens DeLuxe 146B.

Barb

nanna-up-north 12-06-2012 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My son has gotten the estate sale bug so I went with him today since there was a crank machine listed and I've been wanting one. So, he carried it for me since I can't with my broken arm. I thought it looked like a 127/128 but when
I looked it up (G508841) it said it is a model 15. So, I looked up the manual and now I'm really confused. My machine has a shuttle..... the manual I found pictured a round shuttle. So, what model is it? Once I am able to use my hand again, I'll have to clean it up cause it's pretty dirty. But, everything moves and I like the decals. I'd like to find out the model so I can find out what needle to use, etc.

grant15clone 12-06-2012 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 5702674)
My son has gotten the estate sale bug so I went with him today since there was a crank machine listed and I've been wanting one. So, he carried it for me since I can't with my broken arm. I thought it looked like a 127/128 but when
I looked it up (G508841) it said it is a model 15. So, I looked up the manual and now I'm really confused. My machine has a shuttle..... the manual I found pictured a round shuttle. So, what model is it? Once I am able to use my hand again, I'll have to clean it up cause it's pretty dirty. But, everything moves and I like the decals. I'd like to find out the model so I can find out what needle to use, etc.

Nanna, I just picked up almost the same machine today too. Try this website.
http://www.sandman-collectibles.com/...r-machines.htm
This is the machine I got today. Mine is a 128 made in 1921.
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]380561[/ATTACH]

grant15clone 12-06-2012 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While we are on the subject, Has anyone seen this belt tensioner before, built right into the motor housing?
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]380562[/ATTACH]

miriam 12-06-2012 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5701634)
Well if all else fails you could soak it in kerosene and light it. That should "melt" the gunk off. LOL.

Joe

now that would give you a whole new look for a sewing machine