Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Mizkaki 01-03-2013 08:57 PM

qltgrose,

From everything that I have read over the years the 'FR' on the White machines means 'Family Rotary' BTW, what did the person (who corrected you) say the FR means?

Cathy

SteveH 01-03-2013 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mizkaki (Post 5760712)
qltgrose,From everything that I have read over the years the 'FR' on the White machines means 'Family Rotary' BTW, what did the person (who corrected you) say the FR means?Cathy

I would have to say DITTO

grant15clone 01-04-2013 04:51 AM

I have had at least ten FR machines (so far), and my understanding has been that they are Family Rotary machines. If I have been misinformed, I would like to know but I am pretty sure that this is correct. :thumbup:
~G~

qltgrose 01-05-2013 06:10 AM

re: Family Rotary

Thank you! I agree, I thought the FR designated it a "Family Rotary" whether the decals said so or not. I am just not that knowledgable and the person who was telling me it wasnt was putting herself forth as an antique dealer, so I thought it was worth checking. I don't want to sell something with incorrect info, as much as I can confirm anyway!

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5761041)
I have had at least ten FR machines (so far), and my understanding has been that they are Family Rotary machines. If I have been misinformed, I would like to know but I am pretty sure that this is correct. :thumbup:
~G~

BoJangles 01-05-2013 06:28 AM

Steve, I am really watching your Howe restoration with interest!

Laura, that quilt looks huge - no wonder you were tired of it! I have always made queen or king - mostly king sized quilts - but, this year I want to get old projects caught up and do small projects!

Well thanks to Candace, I just acquired a new Pfaff 360 two tone automatic. I already have a really nice - no chips - Pfaff 360, but I couldn't turn down this deal. It has a case in perfect shape, which my other 360 doesn't have! It has the stitch wheel, several Pfaff tension units that the guy had, and otherwise it is complete. It is a little chipped up but it sews perfectly. It also has that weird two part plug in for the cord that my 260 is missing! At this point, I don't need that cord as the 260 works fine without using half the plug!

Anyway, the guy that had this machine thought there was something wrong with the upper tension - hence he had several tension units to try on this machine. There is nothing wrong with the tension. The problem was the bobbin case was warped. The machine would sew perfectly for a little bit, then the bobbin would stick in the case and break thread. I put a different bobbin case in and walla - perfect stitches. Goes to show that sometimes we just look too hard for the problem - when it is just something easy! Of course, I doubt the guy who owned this machine had access to a second Pfaff bobbin case to give it a try!

Does anyone know where the serial number is on some of these vintage Pfaffs? I have the Pfaff dating information, but on some of the vintage Pfaffs, I have not been able to find a serial number!

Nancy

BoJangles 01-05-2013 06:33 AM

Oh and the guy who had this Pfaff 360 has several machines he wants to get rid of. After Candace and I have a look at his list, I will let you guys know what he has. He has a ranch here and in Iowa with a bunch of vintage sewing machines! He said, he can't sell a vintage Pfaff in Iowa? He said the average age of the residents where his ranch is, is around 65 and they don't want heavy machines. I can see why some people don't want a really really heavy machine, but I think a lot of the people here on this board are in that age bracket! I doubt age has anything to do with it really!

Nancy

grant15clone 01-05-2013 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by qltgrose (Post 5763585)
Thank you! I agree, I thought the FR designated it a "Family Rotary" whether the decals said so or not. I am just not that knowledgable and the person who was telling me it wasnt was putting herself forth as an antique dealer, so I thought it was worth checking. I don't want to sell something with incorrect info, as much as I can confirm anyway!

I don't have the best memory, but I know that most of the machines I had were Family Rotary decal machines, but at least one was labeled White Rotary and maybe something else and had a FR serial number. You are right in checking as to not misinform someone. Kudos to you for checking to make sure. We all make mistakes, me more than most at times :p but I am confident that if a machine, no matter how it is labeled, that has a FR serial number, is most likely a Family Rotary machine.
~G~

grant15clone 01-05-2013 07:27 AM

Searching the web this morning and came across a site that is auctioning of a huge collection of sewing machines. It is a Bankruptcy auction. There are some really nice machines in there!!!
https://www.inforuptcy.com/content/a...ine-collection
~G~

ThayerRags 01-05-2013 10:09 AM

Looks like they collected from 2004 to 2012. I hope they didn’t go broke just from collecting machines. If so, I might be in trouble...

CD in Oklahoma

JudyTheSewer 01-05-2013 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5763834)
Searching the web this morning <snip>There are some really nice machines in there!!!
~G~

Yes, indeed! Some very nice machines. I really enjoyed reading the inventory list and looking at the pictures. Thank you for passing on the link.