Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

J Miller 01-27-2013 02:17 PM

I need to do a better photo essay on those I have. Since the picture I just posted on the other thread was made I've added quite a few new ones to my collection.

Joe

BoJangles 01-27-2013 05:06 PM

So Joe, are the buttonholers catagorized by the color of their box/case? The first one I tried to attach to my 15-88 did not work. I took the thread cutter off and still no go, which puzzled me because I know those old Singer buttonhole attachments are suppose to work on the vintage machines. So I got out a different buttonhole attachment - the mechanism looked exactly the same until I compared them side by side. It was obvious that the first one I tried to attach to my Singer 15-88 treadle was for a slant machine! It came in a burgundy case. The second one I tried went right on the 15-88 - a low shank attachment that came in a green case. Both the attachments are black and look identical except for the slant part. I also have a white Singer buttonholer that uses plastic templates instead of the metal ones like the first two buttonholers. What machine does the white one go to? I saw the photo of your buttonhole attachments on the "buttonhole" thread. You have my 3 plus several more! Can you label them and take a photo for us? Do you know what those buttonholers work on?

Nancy

BoJangles 01-27-2013 05:10 PM

I picked up a Pfaff 60 today from Craigslist. It is very plain, has no bells or whistles. It is complete, but I have to clean and oil it before I can try using it. Someone added a Japanese motor, which makes me think maybe it came out of a treadle cabinet?

Sharon, I know you treadle your Pfaff 60. Do you like that machine? This brings my total number of vintage Pfaffs to 11!

Nancy

miriam 01-27-2013 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles (Post 5818751)
So Joe, are the buttonholers catagorized by the color of their box/case? The first one I tried to attach to my 15-88 did not work. I took the thread cutter off and still no go, which puzzled me because I know those old Singer buttonhole attachments are suppose to work on the vintage machines. So I got out a different buttonhole attachment - the mechanism looked exactly the same until I compared them side by side. It was obvious that the first one I tried to attach to my Singer 15-88 treadle was for a slant machine! It came in a burgundy case. The second one I tried went right on the 15-88 - a low shank attachment that came in a green case. Both the attachments are black and look identical except for the slant part. I also have a white Singer buttonholer that uses plastic templates instead of the metal ones like the first two buttonholers. What machine does the white one go to? I saw the photo of your buttonhole attachments on the "buttonhole" thread. You have my 3 plus several more! Can you label them and take a photo for us? Do you know what those buttonholers work on?

Nancy

The SLANT button holer says SLANT on the top of the shank - some of the others say STRAIGHT but not all of them say STRAIGHT. I have used plastic cams or metal - they seem to work either way
You will know as soon as you try to install it if it doesn't fit the machine. I have one that looks real odd - don't know what it goes to - shank has a little pin inside it

J Miller 01-27-2013 05:53 PM

Yep, Miriam got it covered ... mostly.

I have two Singer and one Greist slant shank button hollers and none of them are marked.
The Singers are in the maroon colored plastic rectangle boxes. The Greist is in a paste board box.

I have several Singer straight shank units in the green rectangular boxes and none of them are marked either.
I have one Singer straight shank unit in the green egg shaped box that is marked "straight".
None of the Greist straight shank units are marked.

Basically if the button holler came in a plastic red, pinkish, or maroon box of any shape it is a slant shank unit.
If it came in any plastic box of any shade of green it's for a straight shank machine.

The Professional and other button hollers in the paste board boxes are harder to tell. You have to read the label on the box or look at the button holler to see what's in there.

Joe

miriam 01-27-2013 05:57 PM

Ok one of these days I need to get my collection out and look at them - specially the odd ducks.

CMARAS1234 01-27-2013 06:41 PM

anyone live near lake city fl. I saw a lady today that has 6 (six) 401.A. some need parts some dont. none have power cords. Hubby bought them off ebay and thrift shops, he passed away sunday. and she wants to sell them, let me know.. cmaras1234

BoJangles 01-27-2013 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5818858)
The SLANT button holer says SLANT on the top of the shank - some of the others say STRAIGHT but not all of them say STRAIGHT. I have used plastic cams or metal - they seem to work either way
You will know as soon as you try to install it if it doesn't fit the machine. I have one that looks real odd - don't know what it goes to - shank has a little pin inside it

Thanks Miriam, but the burgundy one doesn't say 'slant' anywhere - on the shank, on the attachment, or on the box! The one that came in the green box doesn't say 'straight' anywhere on the attachment, nor box. So does that mean I got the odd balls? There are always exceptions to the rules it seems! At least now I know what to look for if I find a buttonhole attachment that is not in a colored case!

Thank you Joe, I will remember about the maroon, (burgundy), red, or pinkish boxes being for a slant! That is very good to know. I figured that had to be the case after I examined my two different buttonholers. You would think the box/case would be marked slant!

Nancy

DanofNJ 01-27-2013 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Never say never....Can't help myself. Runs like a dream after major internal cleaning. So now it's three. 830, 820, 930...

BoJangles 01-28-2013 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by DanofNJ (Post 5819281)
Never say never....Can't help myself. Runs like a dream after major internal cleaning. So now it's three. 830, 820, 930...

Very cute little machine Dan! That looks like a great machine to take out to sewing socials, etc.! How heavy is that little Bernina?

That is one problem I have with all my vintage Pfaff - they are making my right arm longer than my left arm!

Nancy