Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

purplefiend 02-08-2013 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by labeelady (Post 5848223)
I also have a vintage Kenmore, model 148-13101, which came in a portable case. The salesperson who sold me the machine originally said that it could be installed in a cabinet, since it has mounting holes for the hinge pins. However, the hinge pins in the Singer cabinet don't fit! They're too big! What do I do?

You need a Kenmore cabinet for it to fit properly.

miriam 02-09-2013 01:19 AM

Kenmore machines have different pattern for hinges and they are shaped different from most machines. I wish you lived near - I have a surplus of Kenmore cabinets I'm trying to figure out what to do with...

J Miller 02-09-2013 06:19 AM

I also have several Kenmore cabinets and the legs unscrew from all of them. It wouldn't be too difficult to ship a cabinet, just a bit expensive.

Joe

miriam 02-09-2013 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5849016)
I also have several Kenmore cabinets and the legs unscrew from all of them. It wouldn't be too difficult to ship a cabinet, just a bit expensive.

Joe

heavy aren't they? I have some the legs DON'T come off - sturdy though.

J Miller 02-09-2013 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by labeelady (Post 5848223)
Today I finally got my grandmother's 1961 Singer Stylist (model 413) unloaded from my car and into the house. I'd been carrying it around in the car until I could find space to put it.

Machine is in great shape, but the bobbin race won't turn. I don't see any lint in that area. Anyone know why the bobbin wouldn't be turning? Could something have come loose in the bottom from bouncing around in the car?

I took it out of the cabinet awaiting repair.

I also have a vintage Kenmore, model 148-13101, which came in a portable case. The salesperson who sold me the machine originally said that it could be installed in a cabinet, since it has mounting holes for the hinge pins. However, the hinge pins in the Singer cabinet don't fit! They're too big! What do I do?

99% probability = the vertical shaft top gear is broken. I'd had two 413s and both of them did this. That shaft top gear is the weak link in it's system. Not too hard to replace and the gear only costs about $8.00 or so. But that's my diagnosis. :(

Joe

BoJangles 02-09-2013 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by nurseknitsLaura (Post 5848000)
st bought one of those little clear extension tables. It's called the Feathermate from www.sewingmates.com. So far it has adjusted to fit a 301, a 201, a 99, a 66, a clone 15, a vintage zig zag.....thought I'd mention it in case any other machine addicts were thinking about one. I saw it on Bonnie Hunters blog and I am delighted. (Yes, I thought about making one, but couldn't work out how to make the feet adjustable enough)No affiliation, just really pleased to have it fit all the machines, and not be too big, but just big enough, ya know what I mean? The one I bought is at this link:
http://tinyurl.com/ajqmcms
Laura

Laura nice link to the table, but it is not adjustable is it? I found a completely adjustable acrylic table that a friend of mine bought. She can adjust this table for her Rocketeer or FW, or any of her machines. I'd like to get one for my Rocketeer, but I already have 3 that are not adjustable for my FW's! I am running out of room to store the little suckers! Take a look at this link for the completely adjustable table. If I had known about this acrylic table before getting one for my white FW, and black FW's - you have to have two because the bed for the white FW is shorter than the black FW - I'd have just bought the one table instead of 3! http://sewingmates.com/index.php?mai...products_id=12

Nancy

J Miller 02-09-2013 06:48 AM

Miriam,

I saw one somewhere that the seller advertised he'd ship it for $30.00. That's about a dollar a pound ± .

On another subject I think there's a Kenmore machine on GW that will fit the one odd ball cabinet we have. I'm wishing I could find one locally to test fit.

Joe

Janis 02-09-2013 09:33 AM

Last night I tried out, by hand, a Sewmor 202 at a flea market, and it made the most wonderful stitches. Today I went back to try plugging it in and trying out the motor. It runs FAST!!!! I mean it doesn't stop!! I tried plugging the foot control plug into the light space, and it still ran fast, not using the foot control at all. The foot control cord is bare just above the foot petal, so I know that it needs to be replaced. Is that where my problem is, or is it more serious and in the motor itself? I was thinking that I might need a new foot control and could get it for about $20.00 or so. The price on the machine was $17.99, but there was one on the top of the case that said $15.00, and that's what I got it for.

Is there anywhere I can get a free instruction book for it? I'd like to see what it says, although I can already thread it properly. Does anyone else have any information on this clone??
Thanks for your help.
Janis

grant15clone 02-09-2013 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Janis (Post 5849531)
Last night I tried out, by hand, a Sewmor 202 at a flea market, and it made the most wonderful stitches. Today I went back to try plugging it in and trying out the motor. It runs FAST!!!! I mean it doesn't stop!! I tried plugging the foot control plug into the light space, and it still ran fast, not using the foot control at all. The foot control cord is bare just above the foot petal, so I know that it needs to be replaced. Is that where my problem is, or is it more serious and in the motor itself? I was thinking that I might need a new foot control and could get it for about $20.00 or so. The price on the machine was $17.99, but there was one on the top of the case that said $15.00, and that's what I got it for.

Is there anywhere I can get a free instruction book for it? I'd like to see what it says, although I can already thread it properly. Does anyone else have any information on this clone??
Thanks for your help.
Janis

Janis, Here is a manual.
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ion-manual.pdf
I would replace the wires and check the foot controller as well as the motor/light outlet wires too. it sounds like there is a short in there somewhere. The motor sounds like it is fine to me if it runs and can run fast.
Also check the Clone pages here on QB.
~G~

Janis 02-09-2013 10:32 AM

Thanks Grant for the site for the manual. I knew that there had to be some free instructions out there somewhere. I'm wanting this machine for learning FM quilting. Did I get a good one for that? Now I want to take the foot petal apart and replace the wiring and see if that's what's wrong with it. I'm thinking that it's something that I can do.