Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 02-20-2013 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 5876320)
Civil war would do, I'd just have to make the clothing look a little "used"... hehe

The situation with the pattern companies is exactly what i figured (same in the medieval stuff), hence asking here for which brand/company to try.

hard to know - I wonder if you could find info on some of the CW forums?

SteveH 02-20-2013 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=jennb;5876242]Steve I'm heading over to the photos thread to check out your new scores. I am so excited to hear that you are collecting that treadle today. I needed the good news :)
/QUOTE]

JennB - check out the photos section now, your new Jones is there...

amyjo 02-20-2013 05:07 PM

jennb, my prayers for you and your family at this sad time. It really is awful when they pass away suddenly, but God's plan was so he didn't suffer. My condolences to you.

Glenn 02-20-2013 05:14 PM

jennb, we are thinking of you and your family and our prayers for you
Skip

treadlep 02-20-2013 06:30 PM

Grant: you did such a nice job restoring that 66. Did you repaint the stitch regulator lever? I have an old 99 with the same lever that has peeling paint and have wondered how to go about restoring it---couldn't figure out a way to take it apart (separate lever from the rest of the machine). In the end I decided to leave it alone because I was afraid I'd just make it look worse, and no machine from 1941 needs to look perfect. But if you did repaint the white lever can you tell me how you did it? The 66 looks so perfect....

grant15clone 02-20-2013 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by treadlep (Post 5876581)
Grant: you did such a nice job restoring that 66. Did you repaint the stitch regulator lever? I have an old 99 with the same lever that has peeling paint and have wondered how to go about restoring it---couldn't figure out a way to take it apart (separate lever from the rest of the machine). In the end I decided to leave it alone because I was afraid I'd just make it look worse, and no machine from 1941 needs to look perfect. But if you did repaint the white lever can you tell me how you did it? The 66 looks so perfect....

Thank you very much for the nice compliment. I did not repaint it. I cleaned it with car wax and used a Q-Tip to get inside. I would not recommend taking that lever out. It is a can of worms. It is a little easier with the metal plate off but not by much. The paint was not perfect but it was good enough to leave alone.
~G~

vintagemotif 02-20-2013 07:40 PM

Jennb, My condolences to you.

treadlep 02-20-2013 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5876645)
Thank you very much for the nice compliment. I did not repaint it. I cleaned it with car wax and used a Q-Tip to get inside. I would not recommend taking that lever out. It is a can of worms. It is a little easier with the metal plate off but not by much. The paint was not perfect but it was good enough to leave alone.
~G~

Thanks, Grant. I guess my instincts were correct. I've cleaned my 99 (it is crinkle finish), including the lever (I also removed the plate). The missing paint on the lever just adds character, so I'll continue to leave it alone. I love this little 99 machine regardless of how it looks---the crinkle finish makes it look so utilitarian.

chris_quilts 02-20-2013 08:08 PM

Jennb; My prayers are with you.

Chris

Mizkaki 02-20-2013 08:19 PM

Jennb,

I am sorry sorry to read of your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

Cathy