Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

J Miller 03-01-2013 07:09 AM

Ooooooo purty, shiny shiny :D :D :D

Joe

SteveH 03-01-2013 08:14 AM

Wow, those are bright! It looks like they did a really good prep job (or you did)

I am curious why you chose chrome over nickle plating?

grant15clone 03-01-2013 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 5896572)
Wow, those are bright! It looks like they did a really good prep job (or you did)

I am curious why you chose chrome over nickle plating?

Steve, I am doing a machine as an example of an "Over The Top Restoration" to show what is possible. In this case, it was about the same cost for Nickel as it was for Chrome. I opted to go with the extreme.
~G~

miriam 03-01-2013 09:42 AM

Grant, I can't wait to see the rest of the show!!!

grant15clone 03-01-2013 09:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 5896760)
Grant, I can't wait to see the rest of the show!!!

Miriam, I might need to make a Dust Cover for this machine when it is done. I made this one for a friend's Typewriter. I think I like it. Here is the sad 66 with bad paint but new chrome.
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]398986[/ATTACH]

SteveH 03-01-2013 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone (Post 5896603)
Steve, I am doing a machine as an example of an "Over The Top Restoration" to show what is possible. In this case, it was about the same cost for Nickel as it was for Chrome. I opted to go with the extreme.~G~

Makes sense then. That's cool. I have always (even when I was into restoring old cars) thought that chrome was too bright or cold looking (weird, I know). I like nickle though. I even had one of my first armor helms electroless nickle plated (it cost me a 12 pack of home-brewed beer) 15 years later is is still clean as a whistle. The electroless process leaves the surface less reflective, which would not be so helpful here.

Thaicat6 03-01-2013 02:05 PM

Help! Identify this Treadle Machine

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]399063[/ATTACH]Can anyone help me identify this machine I recently acquired. I cannot find any identifying markings on it anywhere.
Thank you.

jlhmnj 03-01-2013 04:09 PM

It's a Standard Vibrating Shuttle similar to the Minnesota L they made for Sears.

Jon

irishrose 03-01-2013 07:41 PM

The 'green' Kenmore at SA was turquoise with the Kenmore in very large chrome letters. Not one I've seen before. Needs cleaning and oiling, but I bet it sews. It had a very low presser foot and was missing the snap on part. The slide plate was in terrible condition - all rough, but the machine was in good condition, just dirty. Hmmm.

miriam 03-02-2013 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams (Post 5893044)
Hi! Does anyone happen to have a Brother 1681 machine? I am looking at one for a reasonable price but I don't have any Brothers (or brothers~~oldest of six girls!). :)

Now that is one I don't have, I could fix you up with a different Brother though...