Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

SteveH 07-08-2013 07:16 AM

I would guess a Hengstenberg/Anker Gloria. Needlebar has several examples.

miriam 07-08-2013 12:00 PM

How do you get a treadle apart? Seems like it has paint and rust holding it together.

SteveH 07-08-2013 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6166526)
How do you get a treadle apart? Seems like it has paint and rust holding it together.

which treadle are you referring to? sewing machine oil, a crescent wrench or two and a good solid screwdriver is all mine have taken to discombobulate.

tessagin 07-08-2013 01:09 PM

When I can get the photo downloaded, maybe you can help me. It is a Montgomery Ward UHT J1276. Was going down the street and it was sitting on the curb. E-bay has one just like it for sale for $250.00 but I believe that's with the manual and sewing table set up. Not sure. I googled and found some instructions but some are for UHT J1267 (I believe that to be a typo) but this model I have is a front loading drop in bobbin case not like the one showing. I believe other than the manual everything else is there. I've tried down loading the manual but all I get is the internet wanting me to purchase the security wear so I can download the manual. Irritates me when they advertise the free manuals but you have to purchase the security software. It's a challenge to me but I don't want to screw up my computer. wish I didn't have such difficulty with pictures:/

Glenn 07-08-2013 04:02 PM

Gloria

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6166102)
I would guess a Hengstenberg/Anker Gloria. Needlebar has several examples.

After hours of research Yes it is a Hengstenberg/Anker. I have the original bill of sale 23 Jan 1913. It came with two spools of thread, one says war emergency temporary spool. Must have been sewing for the 1st World War effort. Wish this machine could talk.

DanofNJ 07-08-2013 07:35 PM

I think a featherweight at a good price with a nice case is a good investment...I don't see them going down in price and they are fun to use.

frudemoo 07-09-2013 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo (Post 6165794)
Hey, I'm back inside the Phoenix 283F - there's thread wrapped around the thing at the back of the bobbin race. Really wish I knew the right lingo for this! There is one screw on the bobbin race and I can't budge it. I've tried oil and heat, WD40 and heat. Nuthin. I'm presuming that if I can remove this screw, I can take the piece out and gain direct access to the bit that needs cleaning. Any tips?? I need something else I can try.

Anyone?? .....

manicmike 07-09-2013 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo (Post 6167362)
Anyone?? .....

I'd have done what you have. If you really bugger the screw, you will have to drill it out. Do you have pics? The "trick" is to exactly match the screw and driver (I'll assume you already have, though).

miriam 07-09-2013 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by frudemoo (Post 6167362)
Anyone?? .....

picture?????

frudemoo 07-09-2013 03:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6167379)
picture?????

Here it is, I thought it wouldn't be clear enough but it's pretty good. Okay...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]423135[/ATTACH]

I have it stitching. Had to tighten the tension on the bobbin case because you can see the (white) bobbin thread coming up to the top of the fabric. But the question I have is about the decorative stitches. I haven't ever examined how these are made - or meant to be made - but it looks like the bobbin thread is creating the design and the top thread (brown) is just creating a straight line beneath those ZZ stitches. Is that right? It doesn't look right to me... apart from the tension issue of course!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]423136[/ATTACH]