Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Smorris17119 03-18-2014 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6629976)
Hello, everyone. I'm brand new to the Quilting Board; please bear with me if I make mistakes. I'm also new to sewing and sewing machines. I just bought a machine yesterday and have spent several hours cleaning it because it was filthy and smelled like someone died. I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly. I've attached pictures so you can see what I've done so far. (The interior is next.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]467561[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]467560[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]467559[/ATTACH]

Your sewing machine is lovely. For someone that's new to sewing and sewing machines you sure pick a great machine. what year is it.

Mizkaki 03-18-2014 07:21 PM

Christine,

It looks like an American made "Standard Rotary" (slim) Model R.

Cathy

Originally Posted by Christine- (Post 6632791)
Here's a brand of treadle sewing machine I've never heard of before.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/atq/4353321107.html

The price is only $75, but the table is in horrid condition. Anyone heard of this brand?

grant15clone 03-19-2014 08:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I need a little help identifying a bobbin case. I have been trying to identify it for three hours. Does anyone know what this goes to? It has no markings. Notice that the finger starts to the right of the hole and goes to the 1 o'clock position. It seems to be too narrow to hold a 66 size bobbin.
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]467989[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]467990[/ATTACH]

KenmoreRulesAll 03-19-2014 06:07 PM

Hey, Sharon -- Thank you, yes it turned out to be a nice one, although I had no idea how nice when I bought it. The warranty papers were in the cabinet and say it was purchased in 1955. That's all I've got so far. It came with a bunch of presser feet, etc. Since doing some research, I've learned that Free-Westinghouse machines are highly regarded by some. I suppose this is really an Anker machine, though.

I have another machine that I'm working on, an older rotary. I'll post pictures of that one, too. Btw, do you know how to resize photographs for this forum? Mine are too large.

Smorris17119 03-20-2014 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6635450)
Hey, Sharon -- Thank you, yes it turned out to be a nice one, although I had no idea how nice when I bought it. The warranty papers were in the cabinet and say it was purchased in 1955. That's all I've got so far. It came with a bunch of presser feet, etc. Since doing some research, I've learned that Free-Westinghouse machines are highly regarded by some. I suppose this is really an Anker machine, though.

I have another machine that I'm working on, an older rotary. I'll post pictures of that one, too. Btw, do you know how to resize photographs for this forum? Mine are too large.

Yes I would love to see a picture of your older rotary as well. As for shrinking pictures I'm having the same problems. Mine are coming out so large I stopped posting them. :( There are directions in the help portion of the message board but it leans towards windows based computers. I do all my blogging on my ipad and I can't find any support for that. So I get to enjoy other people pictures and keep mine to myself for now.

SteveH 03-20-2014 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll (Post 6635450)

I cannot speak for Mac, but for PC I use Irfanview. I have for over 20 years. It's powerful and easy and free... It also lets me make "notes" on pictures before i post them.

On the Android phone there is a free version of Photoshop that will allow you to crop, edit, and resize pics on your device.

oldsewnsew 03-20-2014 01:05 PM

you might be able to take pics at s smaller redoluition (&file siz)?

KenmoreRulesAll 03-20-2014 09:33 PM

4 Attachment(s)
SteveH and oldsewnsew, I'm posting some pics of three of my newest machines. I've tried resizing and I hope it works.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]468275[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]468276[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]468277[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]468278[/ATTACH]

The White is an unknown model to me. I bought it today and cleaned up the exterior. However, there is quite a bit of rust and this will be a difficult restore. I should have passed on this machine but it reminded me of a 1950s police car.

The Kenmore is mint and is more my speed. Smooth and powerful, a great machine. Probably not vintage enough for this forum, though.

The Improved Eldredge Rotary needs rewiring and a lamp shade, plus a whole lot of oil. I like it, though. It's the kind of machine my great grandma would have used. I was thinking of touching up the decals with gold paint but I think I'd mess it up. Besides, those kind of chips give it a bit of character.

I need a new camera. Vintage is not good.

SteveH 03-20-2014 09:38 PM

yep, they were 800x600

nice machines too!

Smorris17119 03-21-2014 11:41 AM

Love the little pull chain.