Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Crossstitcher 08-20-2014 05:19 AM

lol, I love what you told him.

jlhmnj 08-20-2014 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike (Post 6851831)
There was a discussion a month or so ago, started by SteveH (now banned unfortunately) about obtaining these needles: I don't believe anyone makes them. Steve discussed having them made by Schmetz. I'll ask him where it's at and get back to you.
Oh, and I should mention it wasn't a profit thing: He wanted people to commit to buying 100 needles at cost price. Shmetz does a minimum run of 5,000

I think the minimum run was 10,000 needles and the cost was over $5,000. You'd need 100 people ordering 100 needles and all agreeing as to application and size. Tough to get a consensus.

If you can only pick one needle and one size what would you choose? The agony!

Jon

Cari-in-Oly 08-22-2014 12:52 PM

Hello everyone-
I just joined Quilting Board, not so much for the quilting but to be right here. I've spent the last week glued to the computer reading everything in the vintage machine thread. The dishes are piled in the sink, the laundry is knee high, two quilts and three customer machines haven't been finished, haven't seen the cats in a couple days, lol, I think I've found my home. I'm an avid sewer, machine embroiderer and quilter, but my main love is working on vintage, mostly 1950s sewing machines. Not really a Singer gal(though I have a few) I'm into the Japanese machines in general and Brother and Brother built machines specifically. Some people call me the Brother guru and others just call me a freak, lol. My family threatened to disown me more than once but any more they just roll their eyes when a new machine shows up. They finally realized that this is what makes me happy. Enthusiastically looking forward to being an active part of this group.

Cari

Glenn 08-22-2014 01:20 PM

Hi Cari, Welcome to the board. you will be right at home with the rest of us vintage sewing machine freaks.
Skip

miriam 08-22-2014 01:21 PM

Cari - Welcome and have some fun.
Freaks??? We are the normal ones - everybody that doesn't love old metal sewing machines has to be the freaks.

Glenn 08-22-2014 01:49 PM

Miriam are you sure about that!!!

monopas 08-22-2014 01:50 PM

Hi Cari! It is nice to know that someone else has the same thing, isn't it? I'm not all that new, but I still have dishes, laundry and cats that get sidelined in favor of the vintage machine research.

Those Brothers you posted photos of in the other thread are lovely. I don't seem to find them around here, and now I know why! (Though a guy at the Value Village told me that any machine in a table there usually get sold within a few hours, despite the high prices they put on them there.)

Crossstitcher 08-22-2014 02:38 PM

Welcome Cari, I guess you already know by reading all the post we are a very addictive bunch. I don't get to come on the computer as often as I would like. I still try to keep up. You will have fun reading the post here and seeing all the machines.

nanna-up-north 08-22-2014 04:23 PM

Welcome Cari. At least you know what makes you happy. There are plenty out there that still don't have a clue...... And, if you love vintage machines, you've found the right place.

manicmike 08-22-2014 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly (Post 6855610)
haven't seen the cats in a couple days

Welcome Cari. Just a reminder: Feed the cats :p