Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Cari-in-Oly 08-22-2014 10:06 PM

Thanks, Skip. After all the reading I've done I already feel at home.

Cari

Cari-in-Oly 08-22-2014 10:16 PM

Thanks Miriam, I agree. Although I do have to admit to having a few plastic wonders. I've purchased two embroidery machines in the last year, both Janome and I love them. The grandkidlets call them Grammas magic machines.
Also have a cute little Juki HZL27Z a friend sent me last year trying to convert me over to new machines and a 10yr old Euro Pro 7133 quilters machine...........okay, stop laughing, it actually sews well.

Cari

Cari-in-Oly 08-22-2014 10:49 PM

I don't find too many around here either. The majority of my machines have come from Centralia or from up north. I'm not actively hunting any more, haven't for a couple years. Just every once in a while one crosses my path and I can't walk away. I don't have a huge herd like some do, only 34. I just don't have room for more.(famous last words) I'd like to get it down to just the machines I use, the problem is on any given day my favorite machine is what ever one I'm using at the time.
I used to work across the street from Value Village and cruised it a few times a week for years. I only ever saw a few machines in there and yes they over price them. They don't usually sell until they go 1/2 price. Or at least that's how it used to be, I haven't been in there for at least two years. Sometimes if you catch them in a good mood they'll mark one down if you point out the flaws. I got a 301 long bed in the case for 1/2 price the day it came in when I told them how much a bobbin case for it would cost. I gave that machine away 3 years ago and wouldn't you know it last week I found a card table for it.

Cari

Cari-in-Oly 08-22-2014 10:58 PM

Oh, yes, I've enjoyed myself immensely this past week. I'm thrilled to have found this place! The only downside I can see is now I'll spend waayy too much time sitting here on the computer instead of getting things done.

Cari

Cari-in-Oly 08-22-2014 11:00 PM

...... And, if you love vintage machines, you've found the right place.

I believe I have........

Cari

Cari-in-Oly 08-22-2014 11:08 PM

"Welcome Cari. Just a reminder: Feed the cats :p"

LOL, thanks. They were hanging out at the neighbors' house, she spoils them. She spoils me too, she's like another mom. She's also my biggest enabler, every time she finds a machine or nice fabric at a thrift store or garage sale she calls me. She's the one who found my pink Selectomatic at a garage sale.

Cari

Cari

grant15clone 08-25-2014 02:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally found a Wilcox and Gibbs that wasn't overpriced today, and it was local! It isn't missing anything but it is in less than pristine condition. :shock: It was locked up but just a few drops of Tri Flow later it was moving free again. I know it isn't pretty yet and nothing to brag about, but it is the oldest machine I have personally owned. I'm happy.
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489081[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]489082[/ATTACH]

Glenn 08-25-2014 02:40 PM

Great find Grant. You will have fun with this one. Actually not that bad.

ThayerRags 08-25-2014 02:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What year do you think it’s from Grant? Nice looking old piece of iron.

I have one with serial #A432624 and I have the date 1889 assigned to it, although I’m not sure where I came up with that date. Mine is mounted onto a pedestal-type riser on a home-built flat top set onto a Davis treadle stand. I haven’t ever sewn with it, just have it next to my recliner for fun. Mine has fewer decals than yours, but then I tend to like the old “beaters” best.

CD in Oklahoma

grant15clone 08-25-2014 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 6859871)
Great find Grant. You will have fun with this one. Actually not that bad.

Thank you Glen. It really isn't that bad. When I bought this one I was thinking that I can get some ideas on how things should work and look like, along with your photos, for the Feldman. Thank you again for those pictures. They helped immensely.

CD, My serial # is A4965580 and if my understanding is correct, it dates to between 1899 and 1900. It sounds like we are close to being made the same year, yours being about 6 months before mine if I am understanding things correctly and my math is correct. I am hoping to make a base/board that fits into a treadle base opening so I can treadle it too without modifying the cabinet or the machine. I also want to electrify it just because. I know what foot controller I have here for it too.
~G~