Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

lolthom 05-15-2015 02:31 PM

Nope. That was the first thing I tried Thanks. Linda

lolthom 05-15-2015 03:07 PM

Here I am again. Over-thinking the problem.. the belt was missing. boy do i feel dumb. Linda

grant15clone 05-16-2015 12:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have a question. I picked up a cabinet, machine from 1930, and the stool that goes with it. I have been trying to find information on it and I am not having any luck. It is stamped 301Q on the bottom. Does anyone know what cabinet this is? Love the stool and cabinet. I don't think I have seen this one. It has a lot of very unique hardware on it.
Thank you.
~Grant~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519829[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519830[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]519831[/ATTACH]

Underside of the insert. 301Q is on each board. Indented (upper left) to accommodate the motor.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519832[/ATTACH]

Quilter Day-by-Day 05-17-2015 07:49 AM

I am curious what a good price would be on a Puzzle Box with attachments or a puzzle box by itself?

Macybaby 05-17-2015 08:02 AM

I've got that cabinet. It's one of Singers in their "Library" Series. BTW - the stool is for a different style cabinet, the one that goes with this one has legs that match.

There are four, the one the 101 comes in, this one, one that has the folding top (older one that splits in the middle) and the one the bentwood case fits into.

I'll dig through my manuals for the pictures.

Deb, I consider a "good" price to be under $35 inculding shipping. I've paid up to $125 for one of the truly rare types. Just the box - I see them sell for around $15-$25 including shipping. Lots and lots of sellers list them for much higher prices, but there are so many for sale, just wait for a bit and a reasonable one will show up.

Very, very rare you will find one with all the parts. Be careful as many times they have lots of parts- that don't belong. And they are often missing screws and stuff like that. I posted quite a bit about what to look for not that long ago, and if you search puzzle boxes on this forum, it should show up.

Macybaby 05-17-2015 08:18 AM

Glen, that stool is really neat, but I doubt it's Singer. Singer never got into the neat stuff like that, they kept their stools rather plain with the lift off seat and the removable tray inside. The older Singer stools have wood corner braces, the later ones have metal corner braces.

I'm posting pictures from the manuals as a separate thread.

grant15clone 05-17-2015 09:14 AM

Thank you Cathy. Can you post a link?
Thank you.
~Grant~

Rodney 05-17-2015 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by lolthom (Post 7196693)
...... my question is about the console. the top and leaf appear to be some kind of laminate and there is damage to the back all the way across. maybe water damage. how would i fix that? don't know if it can be refinished the same way wood would be.

It's walnut veneer. If the veneer is lifting work wood glue under it and clamp it down until the glue is dry.
Otherwise, Glenn has an excellent tutorial in the tutorial section on restoring the wood on old cabinets. It's well worth fixing up. You're not going to find that quality in today's furniture.
Rodney

Macybaby 05-17-2015 01:27 PM

Grant- it's just a separate thread on the Vintage board here.

grant15clone 05-17-2015 01:53 PM

I don't know how, or even where to start to find it. Thanks anyway.