Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Lostn51 08-16-2010 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
OK found this on CL today
will go look at it this weekend
but I really like it!

If you can get it get it!! It is the "Pheasant" decal and is quite hard to come by in the condition that the one in the photo is. I have one but I did a repaint on it because it was so bad off. It is now a Candy RootBeer.

Billy

Katia 08-16-2010 07:37 PM

I could not get the White Rotary site mentioned to come up either. :( The search continues.

EC 08-16-2010 07:41 PM

Hey Billy,

Glad to hear Lola is coming along! Keep the good news coming.

Can you tell us what causes some of the decals to silver?

Elaine

dphelps 08-16-2010 07:42 PM

WOW! What a great site. I have lurked around from time to time and checked out what was going on and I must say I am impressed by your knowledge and how invaluable you are here.What would all the members do without you? I love seeing pitures of your interests, especially seeing the reburbished machines, I wish my machine needed attention just so I could get in on your shop advice. Thanks for being here. You are one in a million. Donna

Lostn51 08-16-2010 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by EC
Hey Billy,

Glad to hear Lola is coming along! Keep the good news coming.

Can you tell us what causes some of the decals to silver?

Elaine

The shellac or varnish deteriorates and then the decals are exposed and then the color wears off. Also the Varnish or shellac will give the decals a Golden hue.

Billy

AbbyQuilts 08-16-2010 08:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
My new machines

Last week I went and got 3 new machines
I was only suppose to get 1 and then it turned into 2 and I came home with 3

A post on here way back in May had a letter form a man named Charles. He lives in Western Pa and wanted to get rid of some of his machines.
I emailed him and told him my situation. I was looking for a singer 66 or 15 to use as physical therapy as I am disabled.
I told him that I had a Domestic but that I didnt not want to use it for therapy work as it is old and hard to find needles and parts for.

Well Chuck and his wife were the NICEST people I have met in a long time.
I came home with 3 machines

and here they are

my new babies and I love them
They are all singer 66's but I dont know what number

Singer 66 with 6 drawer cabnet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98260[/ATTACH]

Its a red eye with back clamp presser feet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98261[/ATTACH]

This one has a back tact and a motor hand wheel but no motor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98262[/ATTACH]

Anyone know what this doohicky thing is?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98263[/ATTACH]

This one is electric with a motor I put it in an orphan cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]98264[/ATTACH]

Gramof6 08-16-2010 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Billy I have this 1901 treadle that is very gunky. The decals are mostly silver looking. I see some color so I know they had green and gold in them at one time. I followed your part 3 cleaning tutorial, but I can't find anything that refers to what you do with Liquid Gold?

Is the Liquid Gold just for the cabinet?

After cleaning this machine, it looks pretty dull.

I found Part 2 and part 3 or the tutorial, is there a part 1?

Thanks!

Nancy

Liquid Gold is for the machine also, it will not hurt the finish and make it glossy ans have a high luster.

Yes there is a part one right here:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-45816-1.htm

Billy

I cannot find the Liquid Gold in a pour bottle anywhere in this State. Where did you find this product? Thanks.

Ohio Star Quilter 08-17-2010 12:14 AM

To Katia and Bojangles and others,
So sorry about messing up the website with the White sewing machine information. I left out one letter.
We'll try it again.
http://community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession
Yesterday was a very trying day so no wonder I messed it up.
Sorry again, Judy

Lacelady 08-17-2010 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Darcene

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Can anyone tell me about the belt that seems to be in white FW's.....

"There was some cutting-edge technology in the use of a belt instead
> of gears to connect the upper and lower shafts....."

I have a white one, now I am worried - do these belts wear out, or ever need replacing?

Lesley,
From all of the information that I can find the internal belt on the white FWs is every bit as good as the internal gears on the black machines....the sewing machine repair people did not like the internal belt because their method of cleaning the machine was to dip it into a vat of solvent and then lubricate all of the moving parts-it was a fast and easy way to get the job done-the external belt could be removed easily for this process and replaced with the original belt once the job was done--but the solvent destroyed the internal belt on the white machines so it had to be replaced with a new belt-basically it took longer to clean the white machine so they told people that the belt was not a good design....Dave McCallum does a very good job of explaining this quite clearly.

I hope this information is of some use to you.....

Thanks Darcene, so what it boils down to is that the internal belt doesn't seem to be likely to need replacing, but that I couldn't dunk the whole machine in something nasty to clean it?

And also that if the belt were to deteriorate, it can be replaced?

If that's the case, perhaps I can stop worrying, as I am highly unlikely to want to clean her that way. Many thanks.

jenna p in ga 08-17-2010 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I am selling as we speak, what kind of shuttles are you needing?

Billy

I need a shuttle for my Singer 28k. I purchased one on ebay but it is too long, by about an 8th of and inch. Oh, and how much are your bobbins?

Thanks,
Jenna