Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Glenn 05-09-2010 06:03 PM

Attachements, I am having trouble sending pictures. It must be that board is swamp. I am trying again. Glenn

Lostn51 05-09-2010 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I have had an old treadle that has been packed to a few different homes of mine. I know it had been left out in elements for probably decades. I can't even imagine doing this. Well, with the last move the cabinet literally disintregated, the peddle broke into pieces and I have been wanting to save the leg sides for some type of commemorative somethin'.

We dug the machine head a few hours ago to investigate. This is fiddle base. Under the plate that is open is only the number 6. I think it is my Damascus that has serial numbers in this same place.

Notice the etching in the body. We can't find any other defining numbers on the machine. Where the badge was, we can make out a clear capital I. Any ideas on this machine?

Household Sewing Machine Company

You have a pretty nice machine and I hate that it fell apart on you, this is a fairly rare machine. Preserve it the best you can and if you still have the cabinet the thats all the better. I wish the irons were intact but they can be welded but the chances of you finding the right set for it will be slim to none, but still a possibility.
Billy

quiltlady 05-09-2010 07:10 PM

Billy, Found this on my local craigs list. Tempted to go look at it. Ever heard of this?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/fuo/1730358594.html

Charlee 05-09-2010 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady
Billy, Found this on my local craigs list. Tempted to go look at it. Ever heard of this?

I saw that one earlier today...interesting machine!

Lostn51 05-09-2010 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady

I would like to own it but not for that money maybe if they drop it down to $125 maybe but nothing more than that. They have them here in the States but not as often as you would hope. It is a very well built machine the decals are pretty intact and it is a very nice machine.

I would make them an offer and if they say no then give them your number and tell them when they want to sell it then call you. They will come around they always do.

Billy

Billy

quilt addict 05-09-2010 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Ok, I jumped in with both feet. Here is the singer 201K, I think, from Japan. Serial on bottom is TA571450PA.

Hello I have some information from the leading expert on Singer sewing machines. Her name is Chrys Gunther and she is hands down the best. I always go to her because she has a lot of the records that Singer no longer has.

Anyway here is her email back to me after showing her photos and discussing a few features about the machine.....

"Billy,

The quickest way to tell the 191 apart from the late style
201 is by the bobbin area. The 191 is a class 15 machine.
The 201 has the drop in bobbin like the model 66 except it's
a rotary machine.

The manual with this machine is for a 191. But it's also
obvious it does not use a drop in bobbin. You can see that
by the open slide plate and bobbin case sitting there.

Chrys"

So now we know it is a 191U and not a 201K. But that does not mean I do not still lust after it!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Billy

Billy,
Thank you so much for the information. The bobbin is not a drop in. It is vertical I guess, like my modern machine. I picked up the other treadle today for $40. It is a Davis machine. I will take pictures tomorrow when it is light again. This one need some work. They just refinished the cabinet to make it a nice furniture piece.

Lisa

Lostn51 05-09-2010 08:27 PM

You go Lisa!!! Davis is a great machine to own and the fact that the cabinet is already finished for you that is half the battle!!!

We will get this tute going tomorrow so everyone can do their own restorations without any reserve on how to do it. I just have my plate extremely full right now, but its getting better.

Billy

SewExtremeSeams 05-09-2010 08:35 PM

[quote=Lostn51]

I have had an old treadle that has been packed to a few different homes of mine.

You have a pretty nice machine and I hate that it fell apart on you, this is a fairly rare machine. Billy

Billy, we found the numbers 25040. What site should I look at to locate its issue date? The one upper case "I" that we found makes me think it might be a Franklin or a Domestic. With the stamp on the bottom of 4, I assume it is model 4 or something.

:roll: What do you think?

Lostn51 05-09-2010 08:41 PM

[quote=SewExtreme]

Originally Posted by Lostn51

I have had an old treadle that has been packed to a few different homes of mine.

You have a pretty nice machine and I hate that it fell apart on you, this is a fairly rare machine. Billy

Billy, we found the numbers 25040. What site should I look at to locate its issue date? The one upper case "I" that we found makes me think it might be a Franklin or a Domestic. With the stamp on the bottom of 4, I assume it is model 4 or something.

:roll: What do you think?

They were tied into the Domestic Sewing machine company but as far as dating I would go to NeedleBar.org and get Alan or Clare to date it. But if I was a betting man I would say its around 1880's nothing newer than 1890's.

Billy

SewExtremeSeams 05-09-2010 08:52 PM

Billy, Thank you so much for your help. This shop is such a great idea. Thanks for opening it. Hey, we should have a grand opening celebration ;-)