Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

chris_quilts 01-26-2011 09:05 PM

Luv2learn: Nice looking machines - both of them. Where'd you get the FW? I have a new to me FW waiting at home when I return from current business trip. DH unpacked it carefully and said it seems clean and looks good.

BoJangles 01-26-2011 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Hello everyone. Hope I'm doing this right and in the right place. Well after 2 weeks of very steady looking and being hopeful, then disappointed. . . Here is what I have actually ended up with this far: !st just one quick photo of my '39 featherweight. Her name is Claudia, in memory of my dear mother. The next photos of the treadle I got today. Her name will be LizBeth after where her number was alloted, (Elizabeth Port, NJ) on Feb 5, 1924. She looks pretty good to me for being attic fresh, I haven't even dusted her yet. I'm SO. . . . excited. And my husband even drove me the 150 mi. round trip to get her after work tonight. Lots of work ahead on her, but, thanx to Billy and all of you wonderful folk, I am confident I can do it. Thankvully I have no time schedule to follow!!

Wow, did you score big! What a nice DH to drive you 150 miles to get a Redeye! Jeeze are you are lucky gal!

Nancy

luv2learn 01-26-2011 09:26 PM

Thanx guys, I got both of them thru CL, the featherweight in Orlando for $200, and the treadle in Newort Richey for $90. Higher on both of them than I hope the next few to be. I forgot to take a photo of the little green 185k, but I'll add it next time. It was free because it has missing parts, but runs and I though it would be my first guinea pig. But it's so cute, I keep thinking if I can locate parts, I'd like to try to get it going. . . . . And the search goes on. . . .luv2learn

vintagemotif 01-27-2011 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by luv2learn
Thanx guys, I got both of them thru CL, the featherweight in Orlando for $200, and the treadle in Newort Richey for $90. Higher on both of them than I hope the next few to be. I forgot to take a photo of the little green 185k, but I'll add it next time. It was free because it has missing parts, but runs and I though it would be my first guinea pig. But it's so cute, I keep thinking if I can locate parts, I'd like to try to get it going. . . . . And the search goes on. . . .luv2learn

NICE finds! Keep looking on CL, you may just find another green 185k cheap. Your free one can be the parts machine for that one.

vintagemotif 01-27-2011 01:06 AM

Today, I moved my 201 treadle into my living room behind my sofa, to make room for the Davis cabinet. I finished cleaning up the cabinet; so, I hope to get that in the house in the next couple of days. I may have to put one more coat of Tung oil on before I bring her in. Glenn would laugh at my job of cleaning up the cabinet. It works for me! I finished cleaning Davis NVF this evening. I cleaned once over the decals with GoJo in some spots, then numerous times with GoJo around the decals. I finished with TR3 around decals. I did not touch the bed area where there was bubbling of the shellac. I'm looking forward to sewing with her this weekend.

sew wishful 01-27-2011 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Here are the 2 machines from the dim, dusty antique shop. I feel sooo blessed.

Oh, my goodness! What beautiful machines! Love, love, love the WW!! The Davis is quite a find, too. I know nothing of the older ones like your Davis, but I so love my VF! Let us know how they sew!!

sew wishful 01-27-2011 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Today, I moved my 201 treadle into my living room behind my sofa, to make room for the Davis cabinet. I finished cleaning up the cabinet; so, I hope to get that in the house in the next couple of days. I may have to put one more coat of Tung oil on before I bring her in. Glenn would laugh at my job of cleaning up the cabinet. It works for me! I finished cleaning Davis NVF this evening. I cleaned once over the decals with GoJo in some spots, then numerous times with GoJo around the decals. I finished with TR3 around decals. I did not touch the bed area where there was bubbling of the shellac. I'm looking forward to sewing with her this weekend.

What patience you have! I clean a bit, oiled a lot and sewed! LOL!! Bet you will love her! Let us know!

Quilt Mom 01-27-2011 05:35 AM

It's so much fun to see the machines all of you are finding. Great job! I hope you have fun cleaning them up and trying them out.

cabbagepatchkid 01-27-2011 05:55 AM

NICE finds! Keep looking on CL, you may just find another green 185k cheap. Your free one can be the parts machine for that one.

Yep....I found a 185 on CL for $35.00. Lots of people don't know what they have and they are just downsizing and want to get rid of stuff.

cabbagepatchkid 01-27-2011 05:57 AM

Today, I moved my 201 treadle into my living room behind my sofa, to make room for the Davis cabinet.

Oh, so, THAT is how to get more cabinets into the house....I never thought about putting one behind the sofa....:mrgreen: