Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

kwendt 02-02-2011 06:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Glenn
Kwendt, You can buy oak veneer at Lowes in a sheet large enough to cover the top. It is the right thickness to. It is resonalbly priced. Take the old veneer off sand top smooth and use contact cement to glue it down. After glueing down roll smooth with a rolling pin pressing hard. Let stand overnight before finishing. Glenn

True... I could. And that's certainly a good option. I don't believe the cabinet is oak though, too smooth a grain for it. Cherry? There's figuring in it. (See pictures) I think it's either mahogany or cherry. We'll see what we have in the next couple of days when I get around to actually stripping it. I included a close up of the topper, and large diameter crackled section.

Whole top to cab 40, removed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118736[/ATTACH]

Close up of top, and fire? heat damage
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118737[/ATTACH]

burnsk 02-02-2011 06:29 PM

Good grief, I only lurk because I don't have any old machines yet, but since I looked this a.m. I've had almost 6 pages to read. You guys/gals sure are a busy group. LOL

chris_quilts 02-02-2011 06:33 PM

I need to say thank you to all who've been posting lately. You're my coffee breal from my real job which has been getting out 200 letteres for a conference and grant continuation documentation which is due Friday, COB. We've asked for an extension and hoping to get it. Thanks for the sanity.

buslady 02-02-2011 06:37 PM

im thinking its this darn cell connection, ill wait til i get to a better internet connection. thank you all for this assist!

kwendt 02-02-2011 06:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kwendt
OH!!! I'm SO excited!!!! I get to go pick up my black Singer 301 in the pristine trapazoid table on Monday!!! A two hour road trip, but ooooohhhh so worth it. (OMG, where am I going to PUT the thing??? !) IN THE BATHROOM! (just kidding, lol).

S'wonderful!

My wife said if I get another machine she will put me in the bathroom. Can not wait to see pic of the trapazoid table. Glenn

Here's what I have from the seller:

Donna Mare 02-02-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Donna Mare
She said it doesn't work. She wants 20 for it. Whatcha think?

Jump on it!!! I can fix it no problem and its more than likely something simple!

Billy

I was hoping you would say that!!

kwendt 02-02-2011 06:56 PM

OH!!! I'm SO excited!!!! I get to go pick up my black Singer 301 in the pristine trapazoid table on Monday!!! A two hour road trip, but ooooohhhh so worth it. (OMG, where am I going to PUT the thing??? !) IN THE BATHROOM! (just kidding, lol).

S'wonderful!

My wife said if I get another machine she will put me in the bathroom. Can not wait to see pic of the trapazoid table. Glenn

You know Glen if she will bring food to you that might be a good thing to happen!

Billy

ROTF!!!! Glenn and Billy, you guys should 'take it on the road' as a comedy act! I'm already planning how to give away my 70s Singer desk cabinet to make room for two vintage cabinets in my sew room. But now I'll have three... ! I'll be in the doghouse, for sure. lol. What to DO!?! You know, I WILL NOT like the food in the doghouse!

Lostn51 02-02-2011 07:05 PM

S'wonderful!

Oh she is pretty!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!

Billy

Donna Mare 02-02-2011 07:16 PM

OMG!!!! I went and pulled the treadle I bought last night out of the trunk and I looked in its drawers and I found the accessories. This machine has all sorts of brass feet (all with the big E for Eldridge on them) and has the key to the locks on the top and drawers. The best I can tell it was made in 1885, I know it can not be any later than 1886 because they change locations of manufacture and it says Chicago on the machine in several places.

I think this will be one of the nicest machines in my collection before its over with. Also does anyone know where I can find the dating information for the Eldridge machines? I posted on the NB but as usual I am black balled and they are ignoring me. (I will try to muster a surprised look on my face :lol: )

Billy

Here are some interesting reads about Eldridge through the years

http://www.ismacs.net/national/from_...to_janome.html

http://www.sewmuse.co.uk/national.htm

http://website.lineone.net/~lindave/american.htm

Crossstitcher 02-02-2011 07:19 PM

S'wonderful!

Oh she is pretty!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!

Billy

Very pretty machine, but did you know that the left front leg swings out and goes under the top to help support it? If you don't do this it will break the hinges on the top. I have one and like using it because with the leg out it give you more leg room under the table.

:mrgreen: