Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Lostn51 02-07-2011 02:20 PM

Okay I think I found another sewing machine (as if I need more) but I will go look at it tomorrow and see if it is what I think it is. ;-)

Billy

Glenn 02-07-2011 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Okay I think I found another sewing machine (as if I need more) but I will go look at it tomorrow and see if it is what I think it is. ;-)

Billy

Billy you are not going to be in the bathroom like me are you? Glenn

Lostn51 02-07-2011 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn

Billy

LOL No I have room for this one. For that matter my garage is starting to fill up with machines. That is why I am going to have a sale in a couple of weeks to thin out the duplicates and clean up the studio so I can put more out there.

Billy

PurpleBecca 02-07-2011 02:42 PM

Well - my Dh and I spent an entertaining evening looking at my other vintage machines - all of which sew ok - I never gave much attention to which models they were until I found this board! HEE HEE

BUT - I seem to have a 66 treadle and some other shuttle style 'boat bobbin' one. (and a featherweight)

Well - DH now agrees with me (after reading Billy's cleaning and stripping tute) that the tension is not working. We had a look through the inspection plate on the front end and when you lift the foot raising lever and put it down there is stuff moving but NOT engaging with the back of the tension mechanism - so TOMORROW night we will strip that all down - we think SOMEONE else has taken it apart and not correctly reassembled it - there is absolutely no moevement in the disks when you move the tension thumb screw or when you raise and lower the foot...

I'll let you all know how that goes!!!

Thanks Billy for giving us false bravery!!!!

PurpleBecca 02-07-2011 02:48 PM

By the way - before we start our grand strip down of this tension - does anyone have a picture of what SHOULD be in the tension mechanism for this machine - just wondered if anyone took a picture of theirs like Billy advises in his tute??

The machine is a 99k

Thanks in advance!

PB

PurpleBecca 02-07-2011 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn

Billy

LOL No I have room for this one. For that matter my garage is starting to fill up with machines. That is why I am going to have a sale in a couple of weeks to thin out the duplicates and clean up the studio so I can put more out there.

Billy

Billy and Glenn - I can't imagine how many machines you two must have!! I used to have loads more than I have now and I am so sad that I let loads go over the years due to space and moves, I wish I had known how much life can be breathed back into them, I had some beauties.

luv2learn 02-07-2011 03:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have located and only seen photos of this machine. SN AC209505, says it has alloted date 1928, .
CAN IT BE TURNED INTO A HAND CRANK? i/M REALLY WANTING A NICE SINGER 15, if I'm limited to only 2 or 3 more, which would be best to get. . I want to actually use mine, not just collect them. . . YET! ! ! ! !

I am going to try to attach photos, but would like to know from you knowledgeable folk. . . asking price $100., he says it runs good, (I don't know if it SEWS). Photo looks like nice machine, a little rough bentwood case. What'cha think? Any cautions or addit'l info I need to ask about?

Can't do photos.
I guess I don't know how to attach photos at the spot. But would be glad for any help. Thanx luv2learn

AC 209505
[ATTACH=CONFIG]83003[/ATTACH]

Check out the plug and cord?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]90666[/ATTACH]

Rough looking case. . .
[ATTACH=CONFIG]95042[/ATTACH]

cabbagepatchkid 02-07-2011 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
A friend asked me to take a look at her Grandma's old 99k singer. It had no cabinet or case and my husband made a box for it.

My question is this - I am usually really good with machines but I CAN NOT get this thing to sew!! It stitches lovely on top but the underside is a dissaster - I tried the tension, top and bottom and a new needle (130/705 system - is that OK?) - still bad. I also tried the needle foot pressure as it was screwed way up higher than I have seen before - it did seem to improve a little - but just when I thought the stitching was improving (still bad) the thread would jump out of the tension mechanism.....

I have a feeling the top tension is not working, the machine is in good clean condition and sounds ok when it is running......

Any ideas guys?

Are you getting a mess of thread on the underside of your fabric?

In the book "The Featherweight 221 and I" by Dave McCallum he says that if the machine was recently cleaned and the throat plate removed to clean the dust bunnies from under it, then sometimes the bobbin case "finger" is not in the little slot that it has to be in before putting the throat plate back on.

The other thing that he mentions is that if the machine has not been cleaned then it could be packed with dust bunnies, causing missed stitches and can also cause the thread to form birds nests.

cabbagepatchkid 02-07-2011 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Anyway, I came across this site and found a set-up to have 5 treadle treadle machines over 5 treadle bases under one custom made table! What a great space saver!! Check it out (scroll down the page a little bit):
http://www.antiquequiltdating.com/no...ewmachine.html

Ah this is the lady you need to blame for my love of quilting! Annie is the sweetest person in the world and her hubby is a very talented contractor that built her the table. I talked to her the other day and she has been in Texas for the last few years doing the island life and loving it! She does all of her quilting on a machine like mine.

Billy

I also was impressed with all of the machines she had "decorating" her walls in the picture. Pretty soon that is what I will need to do with mine. Then they will no longer be considered "clutter" to the uninitiated but will then be called "art" :-D

Glenn 02-07-2011 04:21 PM

Hey all you quilters working on sewing machine cabinets I have posted a tut on refinishing them using shellac since that is what is on the old vintage and antique treadles and other cabinets with age. You can test the finish by using alcohol on the old finish in a spot that can not be seen readily. If it desolves the finish after a minute of rubbing then it is shellac. If not it is lacquer or varnish. Lacquer can be desolved with acetone. If these two products don't desolve the finish then you have varnish. After stripping and staining you can use any one of the three for final finish. I recommend you use shellac for ease of use and dries to touch in 30 min or less so does not collect dust in wet finish. Lacquer is to difficult for the home owner to use and for health reasons.

If you want to restore instead of refinishing we will tackle this as need arises to repair a bad spot. This tut will be never ending because there are so many types of repair so will handle this by your questions as they come up. Glenn