Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-machine-photos-t130994.html)

miriam 06-13-2013 01:02 AM

I wonder if alcohol takes the paint off when you want it to?

frudemoo 06-13-2013 01:19 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Well I have to say I'm absolutely enchanted by my new little 1956 222K "Brenda" ... I love her so much more than I thought I would.... and WOW. What a stitch!! Absolutely beautiful and I haven't even got her working smoothly yet.

Here she is:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]418563[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]418565[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]418567[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]418568[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]418569[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]418570[/ATTACH]
The dirtiest parts of the machine: inside the bobbin race and under the feed dogs - the mechanism to lower and raise the feed dogs is quite sticky.. wondering if there's gunk in there I can't see or get to?? Advice on getting this working would be great!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]418571[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]418572[/ATTACH] Case 'before' and 'after'! I seriously just thought the case was scuffed and old but turns out it was just some sort of weird gunk that was all over it. Looks SO much better now... although I was a bit scared scrubbing it. Can anyone tell me what they are actually covered with? I'm just curious to know. The black covering a bit torn/worn off on the corners. I remember someone mentioning black shoe polish - is that the done thing?

The other shop issue I have to deal with is that one of the two holes where you're supposed to fill the motor with grease looks like it's completely blocked up with hardened old grease. I have no idea about motor stuff so any tips for what I should do to make sure the motor is all okay and has what it needs would also be greatly appreciated.

...But I'm just thrilled with the condition of the machine as it was presented so poorly in the photos on eBay - I wasn't expecting it to be so nice!

Charlee 06-13-2013 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6119227)
i think like this.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]418559[/ATTACH]

Thanks Steve! Now that you point it out, it's obvious! :D

Caroline S 06-13-2013 07:04 AM

http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/ho...sing.html#more

Frudemoo, some good visual instructions on the link above for oiling your sewing machine. Cleaning the hole oil holes technique may work for the motor grease ports.

frudemoo 06-13-2013 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S (Post 6119865)
http://vssmb.blogspot.com/2011/07/ho...sing.html#more

Frudemoo, some good visual instructions on the link above for oiling your sewing machine. Cleaning the hole oil holes technique may work for the motor grease ports.

Thanks Caroline, that's great. I missed that there were further oil holes to lookout for in the workings of the machine.

purplefiend 06-13-2013 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by frudemoo (Post 6119265)
Thanks for this Sharon... I didn't notice anything but was being light-handed. I'll have to do a test somewhere to see at what point the paint starts to dissolve.

I found out the hard way with a FW I was servicing for customer. :( I dripped a bit on the paint and poof it was gone where it dripped. :shock: Your 222 is lovely!
Sharon

Charlee 06-13-2013 09:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A pic of my "new girl" on my very messy bench:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]418840[/ATTACH]

Just by turning the handwheel, she sews nice stitches, and she's not a noisy as some folks claim.
This is her "skirt":
[ATTACH=CONFIG]418841[/ATTACH]

miriam 06-14-2013 12:49 AM

Charlee it is a good thing you and I don't live close - I would have wanted to buy that one, too. Actually I have one anyway. I don't think mine is all that noisy. I got mine because someone put in the wrong needle. Buy a pack of 100 needles and you won't feel too much pain in the pocket book for needles. I think some places will let you buy a couple sizes. I'm thinking those will treadle real nice - mine turns nice and free at any rate.

Charlee 06-14-2013 06:29 AM

I'll have to wait til next payday to get the 100 pack of needles, because from what I see it's double the cost to just buy a few! :(

grant15clone 06-14-2013 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6119271)
I wonder if alcohol takes the paint off when you want it to?

It does the opposite for me. I have a few glasses and the bad spots disappear! But in the morning they are back and I have to start drinking all over again. :D:D:D
Miriam, If you have paint on a plated piece it will take it off and should not damage the plating. There are other things that will remove paint that are designed to do so. If you are trying to strip something to repaint it you need to be absolutely positive that you do not have any of the stripper left on the piece. If you have residue, the paint will not stick to it or will have flaws. A paint thinner is a good choice to wipe off residue. Use the same thinner as the paint type you are going to use and use a primer.
~G~