Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-machine-photos-t130994.html)

nanna-up-north 08-29-2013 08:21 AM

Very nice, Steve. People must take better care of their machines out there in Calif. I never find any in such great condition.

SteveH 08-29-2013 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 6262162)
Very nice, Steve. People must take better care of their machines out there in Calif. I never find any in such great condition.

see for yourself...
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/?...dle&catAbb=sss

grant15clone 08-29-2013 11:21 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I finally finished my 1950 Singer 99 that I am going to take and display at a local art show along with my Minnesota H.
~G~

[ATTACH=CONFIG]432941[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]432942[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]432943[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]432944[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]432945[/ATTACH]

SteveH 08-29-2013 11:40 AM

very very nice...

What do you use on the steel as the final surface conditioner (consistent tiny scratch maker)?

grant15clone 08-29-2013 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6262505)
very very nice...

What do you use on the steel as the final surface conditioner (consistent tiny scratch maker)?

I use wadding polish. Sometimes it kind of dulls the shine a little but it needs to have something on it. Oil is good but it gets dirty fast and can be a mess.
~G~

SteveH 08-29-2013 12:32 PM

Hmmmm. I saw that all of the metal bits had the same "surface"condition. so I was wondering what you use to make them have the same finish. (In commercial metal finishing they refer to the surface polishing as "conditioning")

grant15clone 08-29-2013 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6262577)
Hmmmm. I saw that all of the metal bits had the same "surface"condition. so I was wondering what you use to make them have the same finish. (In commercial metal finishing they refer to the surface polishing as "conditioning")

Hard to explain here without taking up too much space.
~G~

nanna-up-north 08-29-2013 07:00 PM

Grant, did you redo the decals? They are in such perfect condition..... amazing.

While you all are talking about the nice metal finish, I have a question. The Singer 101 machine that I bought last summer was missing the slide plate. I bought a replacement one but hadn't had a chance to try it on the machine until I was down at my son's house over the weekend. To make a long story short, the plate does go on the machine but doesn't slide well. In fact, I had to use a screwdriver to get the bobbin area open so I know I need to do something to make it move more easily. What do you suggest? I've thought of grinding it a little or using sand paper for metal. I'm sure it won't take much adjustment.... just would like to know what the experts suggest.

nanna-up-north 08-29-2013 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6262435)

Oh my! I need to move to the SF area. ..... you have a lot of very nice machines to choose from. Kind of the opposite here in my area...... mostly rusty clunkers, ..... not very often a nice machine with clean decals!

grant15clone 08-30-2013 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 6263252)
Grant, did you redo the decals? They are in such perfect condition..... amazing.

While you all are talking about the nice metal finish, I have a question. The Singer 101 machine that I bought last summer was missing the slide plate. I bought a replacement one but hadn't had a chance to try it on the machine until I was down at my son's house over the weekend. To make a long story short, the plate does go on the machine but doesn't slide well. In fact, I had to use a screwdriver to get the bobbin area open so I know I need to do something to make it move more easily. What do you suggest? I've thought of grinding it a little or using sand paper for metal. I'm sure it won't take much adjustment.... just would like to know what the experts suggest.

Thank you Nanna. Is it tight on the sides, or on the spring that holds it down? If it is the sides, you may need to file them slightly but be careful that you don't wind up with burrs on it. And it needs to be straight. If it is the spring and if it has the same type of slideplate as a 66 I would remove the slideplate and loosen the screw that holds the spring down and try it again.
~G~