Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-machine-photos-t130994.html)

nanna-up-north 02-10-2014 10:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, I thought I'd pop in and introduce my newest 15-91. She's a 1955 model in a blond cabinet. .... pretty dirty to start but she's cleaned up now and ready to do the FMQing that 15-91s do so well. I'm posting 1 before cleaning of the face plate and then 2 after cleaning pictures. I think I'm going to replace the wire that goes from the foot pedal to the machine. The outer coating is cracked in places and while it sews just fine and there are no sparks or anything, I think it would be safer to replace it now. I think I'll need about 6 ft. Does anyone know if that's enough to rewire one of these 15-91s?

grant15clone 02-10-2014 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 6566764)
I think I'll need about 6 ft. Does anyone know if that's enough to rewire one of these 15-91s?

Nanna, Nice Job on your 15-91. Usually, from the wall to the machine, it is about 6'. From the machine to the foot controller, it is about 4'. However, I usually add a foot or two when I am replacing them. Especially when it is a portable machine. I know yours is not. I am guessing that you have a button controller that can be used for knee or foot control. If You have a plain knee control, it is usually less though. I often take the old wire out and measure it to be sure, add a foot or two, and get that size.
I hope this helps.
~G~

nanna-up-north 02-10-2014 11:17 AM

Thanks, Grant. She sure looks better now that she's cleaned up. I just ordered the new wire from sew classic. I have another 15-91 at my summer cabin and that one probably needs a new wire job, too. So I ordered 20 ft and got the cheaper per foot price. Actually I could get 20 ft cheaper than ordering 15 ft at the regular price. I am a bargain shopper and I'm sure I'll find another machine that needs some new wiring.

I'm done buying 15-91s now. .... one at the summer cabin, one at the winder place, and one to give my SIL for a birthday present.

Now, I'm looking at a Wheeler and Wilson.... don't know if I'll get that one though.

frudemoo 02-13-2014 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 6119271)
I wonder if alcohol takes the paint off when you want it to?

It's been a while Miriam, but the answer is categorically NO :D That's if we're talking a 100yo japanned machine with crumbly shellac and almost no decals. 100% alcohol didn't even strip the decals, so I'd be really interested to know under what circumstances it's supposed to do so ***and no, everyone, don't go and rush out and shine up your discoloured decals with alcohol - I wouldn't say it was good for them, it just didn't remove them!***

SteveH 02-13-2014 08:34 AM

Once the shellac is gone the decals WILL go away quickly with alcohol. (I just did this last weekend to a singer 128. less than one hour to render it completely black....)

grant15clone 02-13-2014 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6572486)
Once the shellac is gone the decals WILL go away quickly with alcohol. (I just did this last weekend to a singer 128. less than one hour to render it completely black....)

And I know that it will dull the shine permanently on some, if not most or all, painted surfaces. I made a small test once and it was a mistake. From then on, I won't get near painted surfaces with Rubbing Alcohol aka. Isopropyl Alcohol.
~G~

oldsewnsew 02-13-2014 02:09 PM

different results also between 70% and 90%. If i work fast and buff i can get a nice shine with 70%. But 90% would be more aggressive.

SteveH 02-15-2014 06:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Super cool find today (well, three days ago, but I picked it up today). The nice sellers accepted my offer of 1/2 of what they had it posted for because they like the shows we do.. too cool.

That is a Peerless Buttonholer from 1887 (second earliest I know of) with original document and an 1898 Singer 27/28 Accessory set #11 complete with manual. They owned the machine that it came from and the machine was purchased in Santa Rosa (5 miles north of where I got it) in 1898.. they had the receipt. Not sure why this did not go with it...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]462599[/ATTACH]

Gret1956chen 02-19-2014 10:14 AM

The Artwork on those vintage machines is just stunning. Don't you wish they would make the effort on the new ones?
The first pic posted above just took my breath away.

jillaine 03-12-2014 08:26 AM

So, I have a sad (or perhaps pitiful) story that may be of benefit to someone else.

Several years ago, I purchased a red-eye that was in pretty bad shape. Just the machine; no table. I had it in my mind to refurbish it (using that wonderful set of instructions a former QBer had put together) and turn it into a treadle. One winter, I started taking it apart, taking photos of every piece, organizing the pieces in different little dishes based on where they came from in the machine, then I put it up, waiting for spring to come so I could do the nasty work outside with lots of fresh air.

Well, um, my dear sweet Gryphon kitty went exploring on my desk one day, bored because it was too cold to go outside. He found the neatly stacked bowls of parts and decided they must be toys for him. I mean really, what else could they be? He knocked over the bowls, and all their parts went waterfalling down together into a mixed up mess of a pile behind my desk and behind a bunch of boxes. Horrified, I delayed dealing with it for oh... I dunno... a year? I finally pulled away the boxes and the desk and gathered all (I hope) the loose parts, but somewhere in there, I lost heart about trying to put humpty back together again. (This is probably a good argument why amateurs should stay away from such projects...)

In the meantime, my brother found and gave me another Singer red-eye, in much better shape; she is now the target of my retrofitting-to-treadle, and I haven't dared yet take her apart.

I'm seeking to find a new home for my first red-eye and parts, perhaps in exchange for some advice about my new red-eye. I'm too embarrassed to ask for money for it.

I live in Bethesda, MD, near Glen Echo Park. If you're interested in discussing possibilities, PM me.