Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-machine-photos-t130994.html)

ArchaicArcane 12-29-2014 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7025944)
Really, those are collectable??? How come nobody wants it?

Cos you have a weird market there ;) I've never seen one here.

ThayerRags 12-29-2014 03:01 PM

I've never seen one of those around here either. Blackside 128s yes, but not 99s....

CD in Oklahoma

asgardner 12-29-2014 05:01 PM

Maybe I should jump on it. She's asking $65. The belt is rotten and the electrical cord has been redone along the way. I don't know what else to look at. I didn't try to turn it on but the needle moves when I spun the freewheel, and the freewheel moves freely.

ArchaicArcane 12-29-2014 06:10 PM

Belts and cords can be redone without really compromising the machine. The fact that the slide plate is there is almost miraculous. You'd be hard pressed to replace a blackside plate. I'd probably pay $65 if I had it.

purplefiend 12-30-2014 11:03 AM

I see that its threaded wrong, maybe that's why nobody wants it? It won't sew like that.

lolthom 12-31-2014 05:08 PM

Light running is the model. I have one that dates to 1892. Try looking up the serial number. Your decals are in better shape than mine so might be newer. I don't know how many years New Home made this model.. New Home is now Janome. Hope any of this helps.

to cabbagepatchkid.

NightFox17 01-13-2015 05:12 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this but oh well I'm sure you'll point me in the right direction. I recently bought an old sewing machine for my girlfriend as a birthday present and we were trying to figure out the brand and model. Here are some pictures:

Were the decal is faded (on that blank space) it seems like it was written Sarina or
something like that
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505880[/ATTACH]

J, C and S. Don't know the order
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505881[/ATTACH]

Not sure if the legs are original. They are in pretty good condition
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505882[/ATTACH]

You can see the head's cover on the floor to the left
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505883[/ATTACH]

Thanks in advance!

SteveH 01-13-2015 08:29 AM

Nightfox,

First Welcome!!!

Second, Perfect spot. Unless you would like to open a unique thread so it can be discussed separately (totally cool)

Not immediately familiar with that badge, but I'll take a look around. Based on the fact that it appears to have a full reverse, and the shape and style of that mechanism, I would guess a 1915-1935 German machine. If so it should have excellent engineering and manufacturing and be a great sewing machine..

It looks to be in great shape (a picture of the underside of the head would really help)

Clean the body,wood, and mechanisms with sewing machine oil ONLY to start with. After you become more familiar with your machine and this site, we can walk you through other methods to really bring it to the best it can look and work.

Congrats!

NightFox17 01-13-2015 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7046161)
Nightfox,

First Welcome!!!

Second, Perfect spot. Unless you would like to open a unique thread so it can be discussed separately (totally cool)

Not immediately familiar with that badge, but I'll take a look around. Based on the fact that it appears to have a full reverse, and the shape and style of that mechanism, I would guess a 1915-1935 German machine. If so it should have excellent engineering and manufacturing and be a great sewing machine..

It looks to be in great shape (a picture of the underside of the head would really help)

Clean the body,wood, and mechanisms with sewing machine oil ONLY to start with. After you become more familiar with your machine and this site, we can walk you through other methods to really bring it to the best it can look and work.

Congrats!

Thank you very much! What do you mean by " a full reverse"? I really don't know anything about much about sewing machines. I'll try to get a picture of the underside of the head when I get the opportunity. Thanks again.

SteveH 01-13-2015 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by NightFox17 (Post 7046169)
...What do you mean by " a full reverse"?

It appears that the stitch length adjustment lever (the big vertical silver thing on the main body(pillar)) has the ability to be placed all the way to the top and the machine would stitch in reverse (makes ending seams more secure) That feature was for the most part not available until about 1915-1920 for domestic machines.

One of the really nice things about German machines of this era is that they maintained the old school method of having the needle bar "bob" once during each cycle(like a seamstress of old tugging each stitch tight) but also were early adopters of the reversible drive engineering. Makes them some of the best machines EVER to sew with. (Yes, they do make a better stitch than a modern machine)