Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vlad the Impaler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vlad-impaler-t228246.html)

redbugsullivan 08-19-2013 07:14 AM

Vlad is a 117-551 made in 1938. That date surprised me! Given its condition, I would have said mid-50's. Sews quite well for being 75! Shoot, it sews better than the new-ish Singer 150th Anniversary edition I noticed at a boot sale. White machines are now raising themselves higher in my opinion.

Vlad is waiting for a new lightbulb. First time I've ever tripped a breaker while cleaning/fixing a machine. One twist and POP! Not easy to find, those lightbulbs...

Annette

Boston1954 08-19-2013 07:30 AM

All of a sudden I thought of another infamous personality. Jack the Ripper.

chris_quilts 08-19-2013 05:52 PM

What I do for the flat friction spots is a wadded up piece of batting to keep the motor away from the friction wheel. It works well and the solution was free.

miriam 08-19-2013 07:15 PM

May I borrow that name? I laughed myself silly over that one. Then I looked up Vlad the Impaler - his painting looks more like a Singer Redeye to me. I think I like the name Shishkabob, too - Bob for short.

J Miller 08-20-2013 04:34 AM

To keep the friction drive wheel away from the hand wheel I take a spring loaded clothes pin apart and use the tapered wood piece to hold the motor away. That doesn't mar the finish, and won't compress like that batting or foam or some other things will. And the flat shape stays put.

Joe

Pat M. 08-20-2013 02:00 PM

I haven't found the grease pots yet. Where are they? On the motor? Or under the machine?
I was given one last week, it is brown with case and feet. His name is Rocketman.

frudemoo 08-20-2013 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That is super cool. 1938! Wow... I agree that it seems more modern somehow.
Doubt I'll ever get my hands on one in Oz but if I ever do, I'm going to call it Kryten after the "Red Dwarf" character:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]431372[/ATTACH]
Vlad the Impaler is freakin hilarious though!! Love it :D

mlmack 08-20-2013 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pat M. (Post 6245797)
I haven't found the grease pots yet. Where are they? On the motor? Or under the machine?
I was given one last week, it is brown with case and feet. His name is Rocketman.

The grease pots should be on the motor, one on each end, sticking straight down. At least they are on my White Rotary 77.

SteveH 08-21-2013 08:48 AM

I have one of these at home (I am trying to get rid of) I will take and post a photo or two of the pots tonight.

Steve

J Miller 08-21-2013 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 6247166)
I have one of these at home (I am trying to get rid of) I will take and post a photo or two of the pots tonight.

Steve

If I wasn't so broke and deluged by bills I'd say send it to me. But ............ you'll find a nice sewist who wants to adopt it. :)

Joe