Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Well that makes things easier.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/well-makes-things-easier-t203239.html)

ArchaicArcane 10-15-2012 02:08 AM

Well that makes things easier....

3 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd post a little tool I made to make hauling all of these machines around my workbench a little easier. I find myself spinning the machines around several times during cleaning and tune up.

When I irritated a bulged disk a couple of weeks ago, which is still messing with me, I realized I needed to change the way I was doing things, because I couldn't lift a SM anymore. :shock:

It's one of those Lazy Susan things for inside a cupboard. I originally bought it hoping to spin a motorcycle around in the garage, but it wasn't heavy duty enough. It's been in the basement for about 4 years!

I had the DH cut the corners so that they would be less likely to catch on things (me mostly) while spinning. The added bonus is that the metal is large enough and thick enough that my magnetic dish sticks to the top of the platform and doesn't go anywhere.

Dimensions are about 12" by 18"
12" is the minimum, because that's the diameter of the lazy susan. 18" because it'll accomodate almost any sewing machine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]369866[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]369869[/ATTACH]

I'd love to see what everyone else has done to make working on them easier...

I also use this Multi screwdriver. It's expensive, I think I paid $25 cdn for it but it has the best bits I've ever seen in a multi. I believe them to possibly be on par with the gun tools kit screwdrivers that people recommend for working on SMs. There's no taper to these bits, they're square and fit into the head of a screw nice and tight. Stripping a screw head is really hard to blame on these screwdriver bits. We actually have 3 of them in this house. Attached to it are some earth magnets that I use to hold the screws in place when trying to put them in awkward spots. They live on my lamp when not in use.

coloradosky 10-15-2012 02:37 AM

Love your invention. I have wanted something like this for quite sometime. I'll try Home Depot for the lazy susan and ask DH to make me one. I'm sure he will have many uses for something like this on his workbench also. Thanks again for the info.

Tartan 10-15-2012 05:26 AM

​It looks really handy for spinning old machines. Glad you found a good solution to save your back.

quiltingweb 10-15-2012 05:59 AM

Great idea. I might have to steal this one!

J Miller 10-15-2012 06:21 AM

We've got one of those lazy Susan things around here somewhere. I'll just have to put it to use now. :D

Joe

ArchaicArcane 10-15-2012 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by coloradosky (Post 5586469)
Love your invention. I have wanted something like this for quite sometime. I'll try Home Depot for the lazy susan and ask DH to make me one. I'm sure he will have many uses for something like this on his workbench also. Thanks again for the info.

That's exactly where this one came from. The company's name was "Richelieu". I found it in the Cupboard fasteners aisle. Where you'd find the hinges and drawer pulls and such. I don't think it was that expensive either.

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5586850)
​It looks really handy for spinning old machines. Glad you found a good solution to save your back.

You never really appreciate how much you move a machine around until your eyes water each time you do. It was that or start fixing them on the floor. :D

Originally Posted by quiltingweb (Post 5586941)
Great idea. I might have to steal this one!

I hope so!! It's really helped me out. DH saw me taking a picture of it and says "Quilt Board?" I just laughed, and told him I knew others would get use out of it too that way.

Be warned though, it's not quiet. The bearings in the lazy susan are pretty much exposed, so it's noisy to rotate. SOs may not appreciate it if sleeping in a room nearby, but otherwise, go to town!

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5587018)
We've got one of those lazy Susan things around here somewhere. I'll just have to put it to use now. :D

Joe

Awesome! Make sure once you've finished the machine you stand and lift with both hands. That's the one thing that got me, I got used to the machines moving so easily, and tried to shift it with one hand, and it just spun. Otherwise, I wouldn't go back to the way it used to be.

AuntieD 10-15-2012 03:46 PM

That is a great idea!! Thank you so much for sharing.

DanofNJ 10-15-2012 06:32 PM

Great idea for refinishing.

ArchaicArcane 10-16-2012 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by DanofNJ (Post 5588714)
Great idea for refinishing.

Hey! That's a great idea! I hadn't even thought of that. You could turn it without marring your finished work.

quiltgal 10-17-2012 10:39 AM

That is such a good idea! I love going to the hardware/home fix up store! They have some many great things!