Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Went and looked at a Singer Dressmaker, but the motor sounded AWFUL... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/went-looked-singer-dressmaker-but-motor-sounded-awful-t177812.html)

pinkberrykay 02-01-2012 06:04 PM

Went and looked at a Singer Dressmaker, but the motor sounded AWFUL...

I finally had a chance to go and check out this cute little machine in a cabinet. They had her stored out in the garage (still can't figure out why people do this to these machines:thumbdown:). They had heated her up so her motor was warm. She was plugged in when I arrived so I was able to test her right away. The minute the put my foot on the peddle she started making a terrible noise, I was afraid if I left my foot on it to long the motor was going to burn up. To me it sounded like the noise was coming from the feed dog/needle area but the man thought he heard it in the motor. It seamed like something was stuck, the needle moved up and down but the noise I can't even describe it. B/C I know nothing about this machine I was terrified to buy it not knowing what the cost would be to fix it.

Anyone have any idea of what I am talking about with a good description
:o

Candace 02-01-2012 07:08 PM

Hmmm. I think you may be wrong about it being a Singer. Dressmaker is a different manufacturer. Regardless, if it has problems I would look elsewhere. There are plenty of vintage machines for sale and unless the Dressmaker is some amazing color or retro looking machine you can't live without, it's probably not worth buying if it needs parts and or repairing. (Depending on price of course)

Grace creates 02-01-2012 07:13 PM

I would of walked away to.

valleyquiltermo 02-01-2012 07:22 PM

Yes me also. No Deal!!!

miriam 02-02-2012 03:57 AM

I would have offered $5 and replaced the motor........

pinkberrykay 02-02-2012 04:21 AM

I stand corrected it is a Singer 237 FASHION MATE!!!!

She is a darling machine, but that clanking or knocking sound scared me. Ill see if I can find more info on it and then get back to her. Thanks Candace!!!:thumbup:

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4933821)
Hmmm. I think you may be wrong about it being a Singer. Dressmaker is a different manufacturer. Regardless, if it has problems I would look elsewhere. There are plenty of vintage machines for sale and unless the Dressmaker is some amazing color or retro looking machine you can't live without, it's probably not worth buying if it needs parts and or repairing. (Depending on price of course)

miriam 02-02-2012 04:23 AM

oh - skip that one - junk

hershery 02-02-2012 06:06 AM

if it has a big belt on the bottom of the machine don

if it has a big belt on the bottom of the machine don"t get it.

Candace 02-02-2012 08:11 AM

Yup, Miriam is right. Not a Singer model you want!!

jljack 02-02-2012 08:51 AM

I got one of those by accident this weekend, as I only wanted the cabinet it is in. The cabinet is a lovely curved front Model 42 from the 1940s. The machine is goign to the dump!