Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   What do you think about when you are working (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-do-you-think-about-when-you-working-t246849.html)

cricket_iscute 05-16-2014 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6717850)
[h=2]Q: What do you think about when you are working[/h] on an old machine?

A: Lord, please don't let me drop this tiny little screw ...... *%&#@^ .....
A ½: Lord, please help me find this tiny little screw ..... PLEASE!

Joe

Thanks for the laugh, Joe. I'm guilty of the same thing!

Cricket

cricket_iscute 05-16-2014 09:41 AM

I usually marvel at the engineering, try to increase my understanding of the machine, test out it's capabilities, and wash my hands frequently. LOL

linda faye 05-16-2014 10:36 AM

Joe, we can all certainly identify with you and love your sense of humor :)

tessagin 05-16-2014 10:49 AM

I keep a flashlight (doesn't need to be a big one)and one of those magnets that telescope with a mirror on the other end. Picked up at Harbor Freight for $7.00 (got 2). Also have couple of those magnet trays next to each machine. Comes in handy when I come up with an extra part that wasn't there when I started. Or you can get magnetic sheets at the craft stores and cut to size to fit in different trays, metal lids or whatever.

Abby'smom 05-19-2014 06:17 AM

:) When I work on, mainly replacing bobbin thread, and sew on my Singer 15-91, I reflect on the fact that this machine is 83 years old and sews great!!

ArizonaKAT 05-19-2014 07:20 AM

I love getting a machine with documented "history" so I know where it started and how it was used. I got both my 201s from families whose relative bought it originally.

My hand crank 99 went to Canada with its original owner (a missionary) and sewed for kids.

My 401A came from a friend. Her x-boyfriend's mother gave it to her.

I don't know where my White treadle came from but I brought the original owner with it. I can't leave it open at night. It sews by itself. :-)

After all that is said and done my next thought as I'm cleaning it up is which of my children are going to try and take this from me? I've lost a 401, 201 and two Featherweights that way.

Sunflowerzz 05-19-2014 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz (Post 6717877)
The last machine I worked on I was so happy thinking about what a great job I did and how smooth everything went. I put back on the last part which was the bottom cover plate on one of my Singer Slant O Matics and HORRORS!!! there were two little screws just laying there looking up at me, mocking me! SO for me I think about keeping focused and counting parts and putting them in groups in little plastic lids etc. :p

Just thought I say that those two little screws held the feed dog in place and took me quite a while to find out where they belonged because I had put the cover back on!! It's all good, right?