Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   What thread do you use for piecing denim quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-thread-do-you-use-piecing-denim-quilts-t215260.html)

SunlitenSmiles 03-03-2013 08:56 AM

orange rope........ :)

Gerbie 03-03-2013 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 5898867)
I am building a queen +/- size quilt from 6" denim squares. I started it last March, and now am working on it full time.

When I started last March I wanted the strongest thread I could get to hold this denim monster together.

After asking some questions back then and emailing Coats & Clarks I chose the C&C Dual Duty HEAVY thread.
This stuff is way heavier than normal thread and some of my machines will not work with it. However it is quite strong, I can wrap it around my hands and pull as hard as I can, but not break it. And it's not overly linty either.

Well, no biggie, I'm doing most of the piecing with the vintage / old / ancient / antique SS machines anyway. Saving the more modern ZZ + patterns machines for decorating. I just finished 50 some pieces done with the Kenmore 117-812, that machine sews beautifully by the way, and the White Dressmaster which also sews beautifully. I could if I didn't have other machines just use those and never have a complaint.

This is the crux of this post. The C&C DD Heavy thread seems to work very nicely in my vintage machines, but past about the 60s when the ZZ machines became the norm they just don't like it.

So what I was curious about is what thread do you use in the "semi modern vintage" machines to do heavy denim things?

Joe

I personally use the denim thread for sewing with denim or jeans that I've picked up at Wal Mart- our only source here in my town to get any sewing items. At one time they carried the blue denim color and also the dusty gold color like you see on a lot of jeans. I think you could also use the button thread, it is heaviner and stronger than regular thread. I also use my jeans needle (Just for sewing on denim) and sew the denim on my Bernina 930. I made DD a denim jelly roll design quilt for Christmas and my son a denim pineapple design quilt several years ago. I did NOT add batting to either, because of the thickness and weight of the denim. I also did not quilt either, but tied both with emb. thread. Post when you finish, would love to see it, good luck.

katykwilt 03-03-2013 03:47 PM

I'll probably get a blast for this -- but I use Guterman polyester -- I use this for almost everything anymore. I have about 20 machines (16 working) and this has become my standard.

J Miller 03-03-2013 05:32 PM

katykwilt,

Do you have any idea what size that thread is? Some of the Gutermann thread we have is #50 which seems to work very well in most of my vintage machines.

Joe

Dottie Bug 03-03-2013 06:43 PM

I have found that the reg. coats & clark thread does not hold up very good , I did mine on a kenmore serger back in the late 90's, did not last, the thread just didnt hold { resewn the blocks } .Then son was using it and was stolen from his truck. I used all differnt colors of threads My singer 101 sews with the heavier thread ,guess its time to do another one? DottieBug Ohhhh I use the jeans thread the off colored orange one

Yooper32 03-04-2013 04:40 AM

I have made several denim quilts, including a "cathedral window" with red bandana in the middle, and I just used C&C 's All Purpose Dual Duty thread.

mjhaess 03-04-2013 06:40 AM

I have made two denium quilts for my grandson and son-in-law....I used my Singer 201....

cricket_iscute 03-04-2013 07:59 PM

I haven't made a denim quilt, but I am wondering about topstitch thread. It's a thicker thread than 50 weight and I think Gutterman makes a lot of it. You would need a bigger needle, of course.

amyjo 03-04-2013 08:09 PM

I made a denim quilt and just used regular blue thread. Don't remember what brand was a large cone tho.

J Miller 03-05-2013 05:50 AM

The C&C Dual Duty XD HEAVY thread I'm using now requires either a size 16 or 18 needle. If you use smaller the thread binds in the eye.

Joe