Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   What thread do you use for piecing denim quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/what-thread-do-you-use-piecing-denim-quilts-t215260.html)

J Miller 03-02-2013 10:36 AM

What thread do you use for piecing denim quilts?

I am building a queen +/- size quilt from 6" denim squares. I started it last March, and now am working on it full time.

When I started last March I wanted the strongest thread I could get to hold this denim monster together.

After asking some questions back then and emailing Coats & Clarks I chose the C&C Dual Duty HEAVY thread.
This stuff is way heavier than normal thread and some of my machines will not work with it. However it is quite strong, I can wrap it around my hands and pull as hard as I can, but not break it. And it's not overly linty either.

Well, no biggie, I'm doing most of the piecing with the vintage / old / ancient / antique SS machines anyway. Saving the more modern ZZ + patterns machines for decorating. I just finished 50 some pieces done with the Kenmore 117-812, that machine sews beautifully by the way, and the White Dressmaster which also sews beautifully. I could if I didn't have other machines just use those and never have a complaint.

This is the crux of this post. The C&C DD Heavy thread seems to work very nicely in my vintage machines, but past about the 60s when the ZZ machines became the norm they just don't like it.

So what I was curious about is what thread do you use in the "semi modern vintage" machines to do heavy denim things?

Joe

irishrose 03-02-2013 11:34 AM

The same thread I use for any other stitching. C&C regular cotton covered poly or Guterman worked fine when I was doing denim apparel. I can't imagine a quilt seam having more stress than a jeans seam. My youngest machine (the one used for jeans and jackets) is 1973 Elna so I can't answer for others.

Patty55 03-02-2013 01:33 PM

My dream quilt is made of denim. Heavy, washable, and as dog proof as you can get! Post a picture please!

My whole motivation to get into the tough old vintage machines is this denim quilt idea I've had in my brain for decades!

J Miller 03-02-2013 01:57 PM

Patty,

I've got parts of it hung on the basement clothes line. Will try to take some pics in a bit. I ran out of black squares though and have to scare up some more.

Joe

Tartan 03-02-2013 02:58 PM

​I use my Singer treadle for sewing denim.

irishrose 03-02-2013 03:05 PM

Joe, it's too bad you aren't closer. I have at least one pair of black jeans that need to be cut up, but with postage what it is, you'll do better at a resale store.

momto5 03-02-2013 05:17 PM

I've never made a denim quilt, but....I've repaired and hemmed many a pair. So: I use C&C, but sometimes go with a heavier jeans-type thread also from C&C. Never had any problems with any of them, but I DO use my Bernina or my Husq-Viking to do them. I vaguely remember using my first featherweight to repair jeans way back when and it seems to me that it did fine. I have several vintage machines I COULD use, but I just "ain't sew inclined" anymore to repair and/or hem denim. Hope this helps a little! (By the way, the only one I will do denim for is either myself or, on occasion, my yard guy who is just too good to me for me to say no....:))

J Miller 03-02-2013 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose (Post 5899332)
Joe, it's too bad you aren't closer. I have at least one pair of black jeans that need to be cut up, but with postage what it is, you'll do better at a resale store.

I've got tons of jeans, and other types of denim to cut up. My wife has been hoarding it for the projects she did several years ago.

J Miller 03-02-2013 07:34 PM

momto5,

About three years ago my wife made a denim circle quilt with only her Bernina Record 930.
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r...t/IMG_0852.jpg
That poor machine never balked at what she made it do.

Mine is gonna be bigger. Eeeeekkkkk!!!!!!!!

Joe

kitsykeel 03-02-2013 08:20 PM

Joe,

I am so glad you showed us the pic of your wife's quilt. That looks like a Cathedral Window pattern and I love it on denim.