Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Whippet Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/whippet-sewing-machine-t169461.html)

Baby Catcher 11-26-2011 04:53 AM

That's beautiful. A new home treadle I just picked up has a whippet as their logo. The slogan says "Light running" and has a whippet dog running.

cabbagepatchkid 11-26-2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Baby Catcher (Post 4721086)
That's beautiful. A new home treadle I just picked up has a whippet as their logo. The slogan says "Light running" and has a whippet dog running.

I have the same one that I recently bought from Craigslist! Amazing how they used to decorate the machines.

mighty 11-26-2011 06:42 PM

Never heard of it, but boy it is really a beautiful machine.

SmickChick 11-27-2011 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Celeste (Post 4720044)
That's so pretty. I wonder if there's one that says Doberman. (My breed of choice.)

...you'd never find a second-hand doberman machine; dobies are too loyal to their caretakers.

Dobies: my breed of choice too!!!!

misseva 11-27-2011 11:58 AM

Never heard of Whippett but looks just like my Davis Honeymoon Treadle which looks exactly like the New Home Light Running.

Celeste 11-27-2011 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by SmickChick (Post 4724687)
...you'd never find a second-hand doberman machine; dobies are too loyal to their caretakers.

Dobies: my breed of choice too!!!!

Smiley face, thumb up!

whippet 07-05-2012 04:19 PM

Pam,
I have a Whippet sewing machine and I would like to tell you what I know. My Whippet is very nearly identical to yours, but yours has different decals, the motor and motor mount are a bit different and yours seems to be a bit shorter(left to right). Your Whippet, being slightly smaller, should make it lighter and nicer to move about. Not bad at all. I hope you like it. Not everone gets to have a Whippet!
On the web, I found an old newspaper AD from 1932 saying that Gimbels Dept Store had Whippet Electric Sewing Machines on sale! A sewing machine expert on Treadleon.com said that my Whippet is a model R New Home, but made by the Free Sewing Machine co. No part numbers are on it anywhere, but the serial number is under the front slide plate and has an R preceding the number itself. She said that makes it a New Home model R. The motor was made by Westinghouse and it all works. By the way, mine uses a 20x1 needle, but if you insert a 15x1 (available anyware today) in all the and then pull it down an 1/8" or so, it will sew with the modern 15x1 needles. The expert said that some Whippets use a 15x1 needle, so you my not have to fool with the obsolete 20x1 needle problem.
Your Whippet looks to me like the motor drive is by rubber friction wheel, while mine uses a belt. I guess they changed the hand wheel a bit too. The motor mount on mine has no provision to adjust the belt tension, so your machine is probably superior that way. I hope you enjoy your Whippet!!
Robert

harrishs 07-05-2012 05:42 PM

I have never heard of it either. Do you know what year it was made? It is just beautiful!

MrsBoats 07-06-2012 04:02 AM

I have no knowledge of your machine, but the local fruit stand/antique store has a machine with your Art Deco decals. (Only yours are in MUCH better shape!) I don't know what it is-the name is worn/faded off the arm. The one I know is a 3/4 head, and I'm guessing it used to be a treadle-the motor looks added on. It also has a faded, brille piece of plastic in place of the front slide plate; apparently that went walkabout years ago. I go pet it once in awhile, but they want $300 for it, so it's still there.

pippi65 07-06-2012 05:55 AM

Thank you all for the info. My hubby bought for me many years ago and he paid $45 for it. I sews very nice.