Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   White Rotary Chain Stitch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/white-rotary-chain-stitch-t207439.html)

redbugsullivan 12-01-2012 05:36 PM

White Rotary Chain Stitch?

My White Family Rotary came with a "Use for Chain Stitch Only" plate. It fits perfectly. What I've researched shows no connection between this machine and chain stitching. Any wise folks out there know of one?

quiltingweb 12-01-2012 05:40 PM

I know there is a thing called a "spider" that can be attached to some machines to convert them into a chain- stitch machine. It's possible that you change out the plate to cover the feed dogs when you do a chain stitch. Do you have any pictures or other attachments you're curious about?

Mizkaki 12-01-2012 06:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
To chain stitch on a White Rotary you need the plate that you have and a spider. The spider replaces the lock stitch hook. The second picture shows the finger that makes it chain.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]379567[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]379568[/ATTACH]

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan (Post 5692398)
My White Family Rotary came with a "Use for Chain Stitch Only" plate. It fits perfectly. What I've researched shows no connection between this machine and chain stitching. Any wise folks out there know of one?

redbugsullivan 12-01-2012 07:48 PM

This is SO cool! My machine is having enough trouble lockstitching that the thought of a decorative chain stitch appeals to me. How do I acquire such a "spider"?

Mizkaki 12-01-2012 10:17 PM

Keep an eye on eBay, thrift shops, rummage sales, etc. I found mine in a box of attachments.

I hope you have good Luck finding one. I think the search is half the fun.

Cathy

Originally Posted by redbugsullivan (Post 5692644)
This is SO cool! My machine is having enough trouble lockstitching that the thought of a decorative chain stitch appeals to me. How do I acquire such a "spider"?

DanofNJ 12-02-2012 04:52 PM

Wow! Never saw that before...I want one.

quiltingweb 12-04-2012 12:01 PM

Cathy, great pictures! I've seen others, but nothing like this. Very cool!

Son of A Singer Man 05-13-2018 04:50 AM

HI,

Now it's time for me to search through my many ROTARY ATTACHMENT BOXES.... but I don't expect to find these parts.

Cari-in-Oly 05-13-2018 10:07 AM

Bernie these things tend to show up in unexpected places. I once bought a machine that I figured I'd have to search high and low for the right cams and it turned out I already had the cams from a Goodwill find months earlier. And I found all the fiddly bits I was missing for my Singer 630, including the chain stitch parts, in a box of random stuff I bought from Ebay.

Cari

Pam KC 08-05-2018 10:41 AM

I was gifted a 1910 White Family Rotary with a beautiful treadle cabinet. The machine is in great condition with decals 98% intact. The cabinet has some damage. It even came with purchase papers, booklet, and attachments.

Just went on Ebay and found a complete attachment box. Inside the box was the chain stitch throat plate and spider. The outside of the box has "White - Family Rotary." If it was not for this thread, I would have never known about the spider or what they look like. Thank you Mizkaki for the photos. Now I can sew knit fabric with the chain stitch spider and throat plate.

It took me almost a year before I found a good shirring attachment for the Singer Style 11 puzzle box that was made for the Singer 15-30. I also had to purchase another complete Singer puzzle box to get that shirring attachment. Sometimes you have to buy an attachment box with attachments to find that one piece. It is well worth it.

Keep looking. That's part of the fun and frustration!!!