Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Problem with Featherweight

I just got a Singer 221-1 Featherweight, took it out of the box and sewed a little and it worked fine. After sewing a while I got thread tangled around the bobbin, took the throat plate loose to get the thread out and the bobbin out. The problem is when I tried to put it back I guess I'm doing something wrong so I read manual and tried to follow instructions to replace the throat plate with the finger position of the bobbin placed in the correct positon of the plate but when I do that nothing wants to turn. When the plate is out everything turns. Please help.

My hunch is that there is a tiny piece of thread stuck behind the bobbin case base. The tolerance on a FW is very close, so it takes almost nothing to lock it up. Here's a link to a site with instruction on how to fix it. DO NOT lose the gib screw. It's tiny and easy to misplace.

http://thefeatherweight221factory.co...achineJam.aspx

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewing Joe
    My hunch is that there is a tiny piece of thread stuck behind the bobbin case base. The tolerance on a FW is very close, so it takes almost nothing to lock it up. Here's a link to a site with instruction on how to fix it. DO NOT lose the gib screw. It's tiny and easy to misplace.

http://thefeatherweight221factory.co...achineJam.aspx
    Great link! I think the last photo on the page is exactly what the OP needs to look at. I had a similar problem when I took the plate off to clean the lint. I wasn't lining everything back up properly to sew.

It could be a small stuck thread but it's more likely that you didn't get the bobbin case back in correctly. Once you take off the feed dog plate, you must put the bobbin case back in with the little "finger" in the little notch or the case just swings around and will not stitch. There is a good picture in the manual. If you don't have a manual, they are available on line. Many Featherweights have been sold as "broken" because of this problem.

Blog Entries
    Not related to your question, but I love your Corgi, they're so cute!!!

Lucy relaxing in the sun :)
    Name:  Attachment-247803.jpe
Views: 185
Size:  96.6 KB

same thing happened to me; looked at pictures in manual and made sure that little "finger" thing was in right position and worked like a charm.

Thanks, I love your Lucy Too.

Thanks so much, I must have thread under the bobbin casing. I think I understand how to line it up. Will let everyone know.

you have to be real careful to get the plate in right